Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What travel and COVID does to a woman’s body. UUGH. I’m in Dublin now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What travel and COVID does to a woman’s body. UUGH. I’m in Dublin now

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me your daughter will need a "recovery letter" as this-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...g-back-us.html
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by whitewave
One weird thing that happened is that I travel with a cpap. The outlets by the beds weren’t working, so I went down and got an extension cord to use and informed them that I was jet lagged and was going to take a nap and be on a weird sleep schedule so I would let them know when we were available for them to fix it.

This morning I woke up, went and got lunch (she stayed in the room) and after that started tidying up the room. No extension cord and my cpap was plugged into the wall! 😱😳😬🤭

Someone came into the room while we were sleeping, fixed the outlets and UNPLUGGED me from the extension cord and plugged me back into the now working outlet and left!!! I mean what???!!!

(I have been on cruises before where they came in while we were sleeping and put like a fruit tray thank you gift on the table and left.)

Neither of us heard a thing.

And to think some men on here wondered why I didn’t feel comfortable leaving a young woman abroad, sick and alone.

I haven’t said anything because nothing bad happened and the outlets are all fixed now…

What do you all think about this as women? I assume it was a man who came in.
This is why I always put the chain or deadbolt on - might not bother them. It bothers me. I've had too many do not disturb signs ignored!
edit : sorry I wrote this before seeing the other responses saying the same thing.
For the recovery letter - do you have the ability to contact her health provider in the US by internet? Some have been successful having their own MD write the recovery letter and print it out
whitewave likes this.

Last edited by estnet; Jun 3, 2022 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
To me your daughter will need a "recovery letter" as this-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...g-back-us.html
yes, I understand but the thing they don’t tell you is that they want to see the official positive test with her name and the date before they will issue the recovery letter (you have to upload it). She didn’t take the official test until the 28th. Also we tried to book an appointment yesterday (before we figured this out) and she made a WhatsApp account and filled out all of her information, and we still haven’t heard from them. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I realize “Help! I’m stuck in Ireland!” Is a problem many would like to have. It’s only a few days more.

We are going to try nasal lavage today to see if we can push those dead remnants out. You know, a neti pot. Other than that, I’m going to call aer lingus today and move the return.

Thanks though. She did freak out when I shared all of this, but now she is laughing about it. She is supposed to have a summer internship (required for her December graduation) but she hasn’t heard anything about it yet, so she has a few days wiggle room.

Last edited by whitewave; Jun 4, 2022 at 1:45 am
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
This is why I always put the chain or deadbolt on - might not bother them. It bothers me. I've had too many do not disturb signs ignored!
edit : sorry I wrote this before seeing the other responses saying the same thing.
For the recovery letter - do you have the ability to contact her health provider in the US by internet? Some have been successful having their own MD write the recovery letter and print it out
Since my husband is a doctor, this is our preferred route, but she is currently in between doctors—aged out pediatrician and hasn’t established herself yet with any doc in the us. Because she hasn’t been to any doctor as a patient of the clinic, everyone is spooked because these are federal regulations and no one wanted to get looked at for fraud (she isn’t a patient) or anything in the US. She has only used a few walk in clinics here and there.

I haven’t been able to find a US based telehealth recovery certificate doctor. I’m still looking.
My husband briefly mentioned he might write the letter, but I don’t know if that would be considered legit or not (even if we were following the rules).

Getting back to the other issue, the door in question didn’t have a deadbolt, but the loop “chain” (its not a chain but acts sort of like one) and I would have sworn that I engaged it. Maybe I didn’t because I was exhausted and the door was around the corner down a long hallway so it wasn’t in plain view. It’s possible I forgot to engage it, even though I made a point to engage it all other times. I don’t know.

Thanks.

We are no longer in Dublin. We moved to a fairly close by city because the prices in Dublin went bananas since it’s a bank holiday weekend. The issue now is that we had planned to check out here tomorrow and go back to stage to fly out on Monday. This hotel doesn’t have Sunday night open, so we might have to move again.

I was able to cancel the Dublin Sunday night hotel without any penalties, thank goodness.

I’m also thinking about changing airports to fly home out of Shannon.

Last edited by whitewave; Jun 4, 2022 at 1:48 am
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would you get to Shannon?
Keep it simple.
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_Airport
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
We left Dublin. Since it seems we can’t fly until around the 9th, I was thinking we could hop around on the train: Kilkenny, Waterford, Limerick. Then limerick to Shannon.

The vodka swabbing the nares didn’t work so she is trying nasal lavage now and then she will test again in 15 mins. It’s clear that getting a negative is the best thing that could happen here.

uodate: very clearly positive after nasal lavage. We will try another session tonight, though this is very clearly an exercise in futility. She just had a massive breakdown crying.

Last edited by whitewave; Jun 4, 2022 at 4:30 am
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Try to stop stressing about testing neg. You DON'T need a US based MD for the recovery letter. Hundreds of US citizens have used recovery letters from local MD's to fly from Thailand (where I travel frequently) and also from various countries in Europe. In fact in Thailand (just b/c I know more about it) there are telehealth clinics that will assess the positive test, verify no symptoms and produce the required letter.
If you just go to a local MD/hospital/clinic when the requisite time has passed with positive test result (or maybe a Irish telehealth service) they can issue the letter of recovery. If you can relax and stop worrying your daughter might be able to enjoy her last few days there (and you too).
Old Jun 5, 2022, 10:50 am

I applaud your daughter's willingness to try crying to get those fluids going .

Corporate college internship programs are likely to be very understanding and work with her schedule. Start and end date are probably negotiable and recovering from Covid & travel paperwork shouldn't be a ding against willingness to work. My coworkers and I have seen our tech corp interns get the best parties, goodies, nice fully paid corporate apartments (which we consider too expensive for our budgets), different start & end times due to school terms & vacations, and have dedicated HR staff who seem to be at all their events in case there are issues or questions. We totally envy them!

I'd plan for the least stressful departure option and stick to it to minimize the stress around uncertainty, though I understand leaving from Dublin airport can be a long slog these days. Still, your son was able to make his flight?
wrp96 and whitewave like this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

@estnet thanks. We end the last 3 days of this ordeal in limerick starting tomorrow and I am planning to try to find a doc to see her and to get a letter of recovery. Tomorrow is a bank holiday though (medical offices closed), so I don’t know how easy it will be to get an appointment anywhere. (Where I live it’s impossible to get a fit in appointment the week of a holiday).

freecia thanks. We aren’t going back to Dublin because it’s expensive. We are in Waterford for the night. It was the only place we could get a room with the bank holiday, so tomorrow we have to do a little backtracking to get over to limerick where we will stay until we leave from Shannon.

Yes, my son is home and he was able to breeze through T2 at Dublin airport in 1.5 hours. We also switched to SNN because the fare difference with the ticket change was less than DUB.

She is no longer taking tests. It is clear she isn’t getting a negative any time soon. I took the last home test we have about an hour ago and I remain negative. I just have to make it 3 more days and then we are golden.

She didn’t need a nap today and she is in a great mood and has been laughing and enjoying herself now.

As an aside, I missed my 28th wedding anniversary this week, so that was a bummer.

Ireland has been great (aside from the two incidents I mentioned). The people are fantastic. I’ll have to come back one day (post Covid if that ever happens): I have no plans to travel international again while Covid is around like it is right now. It’s not worth the chance of getting stuck.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by whitewave
I have no plans to travel international again while Covid is around like it is right now. It’s not worth the chance of getting stuck.
I think the qualifier should be while the CDC requires proof of negative covid test or documentation of recovery from covid. It serves no useful purpose at this time unless you want to discourage international travel. I cringe when I hear the term "follow the science" when this issue is being discussed - the decision is now political as the administration is unwilling to change the status quo for fear of blowback.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mguinness
I think the qualifier should be while the CDC requires proof of negative covid test or documentation of recovery from covid. It serves no useful purpose at this time unless you want to discourage international travel. I cringe when I hear the term "follow the science" when this issue is being discussed - the decision is now political as the administration is unwilling to change the status quo for fear of blowback.
That is exactly right.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by estnet
Try to stop stressing about testing neg. You DON'T need a US based MD for the recovery letter. Hundreds of US citizens have used recovery letters from local MD's to fly from Thailand (where I travel frequently) and also from various countries in Europe. In fact in Thailand (just b/c I know more about it) there are telehealth clinics that will assess the positive test, verify no symptoms and produce the required letter.
If you just go to a local MD/hospital/clinic when the requisite time has passed with positive test result (or maybe a Irish telehealth service) they can issue the letter of recovery. If you can relax and stop worrying your daughter might be able to enjoy her last few days there (and you too).
I'm not reading this entire thread as it's a bit too mumsnetty for me, but google said this for Ireland and a recovery certificate:

COVID-19 Recovery Certificate Request

Americans/people living in America are "brave" travelling due to the fact that there is a chance they will get stranded abroad. No way would I run that risk unless it was some kind of one-off, never to be repeated event. And I'd also have a plan b. If it were me given the nonsense of the CDC I would have probably flown to Canada and found a way to cross a land border into the US.
QT31415, whitewave and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Silver Fox thank You. I died laughing at “mumsnetty”

I did run across that link before, but I believe it’s for people in the Irish health care program. Thanks though.

My husband is a doctor and he went ahead and did the letter— it’s all above board and on letterhead and follows all the rules, so I think we are ok now.

Meanwhile, this morning I found the link through aer lingus for V1medical which will issue certificates in Ireland at 6 days from official positive, which means we could have flown home yesterday as planned. (But from Dublin on a bank holiday— might have been chancy.)

——————

As an update, we have made it to limerick via train from Waterford (via train from Kilkenny) and we are at a full service hotel.

My appointment for my antigen is tomorrow at 9:15 am. I just took a home test for no surprises and I continue to test negative.

We fly home on Thursday from Shannon.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:24 am
Original Poster

I’m negative! We get to go home tomorrow! Thanks for the tea and sympathy and the companionship. I really appreciate it.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

We crab landed in JFK (of course we did) but we are back on US soil. Thank goodness. We have a 6.5 hour layover and then we will be back to the home airport.
freecia, Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.