Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Many climates, one carry on...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Many climates, one carry on...

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I don't think the silk wrinkles much at all, really. I bought the long sleeve dress as a travel dress because I love knit so much.
rsqrott likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by whitewave
For shoes, I bring one pair of Hoka one one Bondi sneakers and one pair of Taos star sneakers (pairs well with casual dresses). I have chacos for beach vacations and boots for winter/snow locations.

My orthopedic surgeon recently recommended Hokas, but I didn't want to take a unfamiliar brand of shoe on a trip where I knew I'd be doing a lot of walking. I went with Propét Tour Knit because I know that brand fits me well. After 70+ miles of walking over 10 days, the shoes still look brand new and my feet were fine. One reason I like Propét is they offer a full range of widths for most of their shoes and sandals. They also squish down well for packing.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:12 am

CDTraveler I like Propet also, but at this point, I have about 6 pair of Hoka shoes and 3 pair of their recovery slides (I use as slippers)
CDTraveler and Hoyaheel like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Amen sister

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
We call this the "let me get my wallet" forum - we've sold each other on so many things!!!
Amen Sister, Amen!

We need to figure out a Flyertalk affiliate link system so we each get cut when we recommend another item to one another. You all are my most expensive virtual friends!
Old May 18, 2022, 5:59 am

I haven't tried Hoka yet - for actual exercise shoes, I use Abeo from Walking Company. A few years ago, I went into a store while traveling in Seattle (I don't know if any stores are still open) and tried on all the walking/running shoes they had in my size because my old standard New Balance wouldn't work for my problem feet anymore. I have some Propet walking/water sandals I've had a while - quite comfy for me - so I guess I could look at other options from that brand next time I need athletic.....
Old May 19, 2022, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I had to step away from this thread for awhile to protect the pocketbook... but

Originally Posted by rsqrott
Oh this is no joke. I am now on the hunt for Eileen Fisher because those pieces might be pretty close to perfect. Does the silk travel well or does it get horribly wrinkled?
The Eileen Fisher silk charmeuse is what I prefer for travel - I use the tanks under their washable stretch crepe knit separates to add a bit of bling and also because I'm that age that requires tank tops to survive. The silk does wrinkle a bit, usually comes out nicely after a hang in the steamy bathroom. The crepe knit is amazing - their straight leg pants have seen me through years of fashion changes and still look brand new. They pack flat and lighter than jeans, have elastic waists, and don't sag after hours of wear. This year they have a high waisted version that's really cute and currently on sale ; )
https://www.eileenfisher.com/washabl...2&colorid=2288
gretchendz and rsqrott like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:28 am

OP thank you so much for the details! There's an Eileen Fisher not too too far from me so I'll try to go check things out in person. And yes, protect the pocketbook!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Logging in after a very long absence to second Eileen Fisher's silk. Sign up for the mailing list, as there have been very frequent "warehouse sales" that have extremely good deals (I've never paid more than $99 for any of my EF pieces, and I've picked up quite a few linen and silk pieces for $49/$69). Plus, unlike a lot of retailers, even the warehouse sales allow returns, and customer service is all around very good.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
There's a great EF outlet in Oakland near the airport - I try to stop there when I pass through, but did NOT today because....I saved $$ by using Hoyaheel's 4x4 capsule method! I've started taking all my travel clothing out, documenting them with photos, and categorizing them so that selecting the 4x4 will be easy. Wow, who knew I had so many clothes! 75 items done today, and that's only the top half. It's definitely not as fun as shopping but a whole lot better for the environment!
Old May 20, 2022, 7:06 am

That's amazing - so glad you're having fun with the process! I'm in the middle of switching closets - have to move some seasonal stuff from guest room bc our walk-in closet isn't big enough. I don't shop a ton but I keep everything forever. I've finally gotten rid of most things that aren't my current size - I've kept a couple of WONDERFUL things that are a little too small (just down one size though - not keeping ANYTHING that's super smaller, no matter how much I adore or how little it cost me ;-) But I'm trying to get rid of old "garden" (work) clothing - I don't need 50 old tshirts, just enough for a week or so, right? But it's difficult for me, so I do a little as often as I can, that isn't so painful. I've already made a couple of big donation drop-offs of the "good just small" stuff.
Old May 23, 2022, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
There's a great EF outlet in Oakland near the airport
I visited the EF factory store near home this weekend and cleaned up. The pieces are so easy to mix and extremely comfortable. And the prices at the factory store were great. I mean seriously great, knit sheath dressed for $60, tops for $20. My biggest ticket item was a tweedy suit jacket that ties together the grey and black separates in my bag and that I can wear on the plane. It even has usable pockets.
So I'm off on my first post covid business trip today. And thanks to all of the virtual shopping/planning during the past 2 years I've got everything that I'll need for the week neatly packed in my carry on with room to spare. I think EF plus my Monos compression packing cubes might be a game changer.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:28 pm

A full time nomad here. I travel with more than a carryon, but have to have with me stuff that gets me from Patagonia to Galapagos. And then Europe and Southeast Asia ( eventually).

A merino full zip black hoodie is an indispensible layer. I also carry a grey cashmere one.
White/black tech tees. I actually like the ones from 32 degrees. Also Uniqlo Long and short sleeve. And you can substitute a pastel(s)
Pair of cropped black ponte wide leg trousers.
Knee length knit tee-shirt dress
Tech shorts
Tech pants
2 rayon elbow length flowy tees. One blue, one lavender.

The above are must-haves. Then adjusted in #'s for how long I can travel before replenishment. I have 2 white, and one black tee. I also have a gray cashmere hoodie. Two pair of leggings. Two pair tech shorts. There tank tops. 1 Bathing suit. Haglofs packable down jacket. 1 Pair knit gloves. Cashmere beanie. Merino scarf. Bras and underwear.

Shoes are a problem. I need to be able to hike, walk, and beach. Asolo GX hiking shoes, BIrks, Sorel pull on chelsea boot. Adidas black lightweight sneaker.

I've been in Buenos Aires Since end of February. It was 80 ish when we got here. Today it's 50. We've been to Iguazu where it was sweltering. Been to the beach ( hot!) We are heading to Salta ( cold and hot potentially). Then we head to Lima, then Galapagos. Then back to the states to "replenish" with what works and what doesnt.
gretchendz likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:43 am

These pants have been terrific for flying. They are my new favorite travel pants.

https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...es=13774,44967
Old May 31, 2022, 12:04 pm

I think I have those -I haven't loved any of the recent sports knit or starfish "pant" styles - they all fit me funny (too tight in thigh, loose in calf) - I have to wear the legging styles if I buy. I have some old school (15 yrs old?) sports knit pants that are wide the entire length - those fit me fine. The fabrics are nice for anything not high summer/ tropical (they can be a teeny bit heavy for me if it's hotter than 80 outside ;-) My old pants - the 15ish yr old - still going strong as garden/work clothes ;-)
whitewave likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:32 pm

Hoyaheel yes! I wouldn’t wear them in the summer or probably over 80 degrees as you mentioned. Thanks for bringing that up.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.