Wiki Posts
Search

Tommy John pants?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tommy John pants?

OK - Tommy John (the two founders, I presume) have been putting a lot of commercials on TV lately, flogging their brand of pants/shorts/leggings etc.

The men's shorts apparently have a waistband that doesn't pinch or ride up. Hmm. I've never paid much attention to that but I don't recall it being a problem.

They are also producing a line of women's leggings (?) that show a model with a very nice derriere slipping a pair on, and they have "No visible panty lines or wedgies - guaranteed".

OK - I kind of know what a VPL is, but I'm not sure why this should be of tremendous concern. Are we supposed to believe women go "commando" all the time or what? What's the big deal? No one seems to care that bra straps are seen or the outline is showing through a sheer blouse. I'm terribly ignorant of the "rules" of what's OK to be seen and what's not I'm afraid.

And "wedgies" ... I know what it is when the class bully yanks your underwear up and gives you (usually a guy) a wedgie. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. My imagination is going down places I don't want to go, so could someone explain to me exactly what a wedgie is in this context?
gretchendz likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GfL
Well, since no one else is daring to respond... The wedgie in this context is the back seam of the tights (which runs straight up the middle) disappearing into your butt crack, creating a rather undignified look and feel as the two halves of your a** start to act independently of each other. No one wants to see that!

Somehow the world has convinced itself (both women and men) that women are not supposed to show evidence that they are wearing underwear. While bra straps are now apparently OK to display (I blame Madonna’s influence in the late 80s for this, and still don’t cotton to it myself), underwear is still taboo—hence the prevalence of thong underwear for everyday use. I personally cannot stand wearing thongs and find them excruciatingly uncomfortable (see the paragraph above re: the discomfort of dividing your butt into two pieces), but I still adhere to the “no VPL” rule by just not wearing tight clothes or underwear that’s going to dig into my rear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.