Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Reapplying makeup during overseas flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reapplying makeup during overseas flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I fly long haul with nothing on my face but Caudalie Vinoperfect serum and Embryolisse moisturizer. The only makeup I use is some eyebrow pencil because my brows have started to thin (thank you, menopause). I used to wear some eyeliner but I'd end up with raccoon eyes and decided it was better to just skip it but I throw some on if I need to look presentable when I disembark.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

The more I see responses in favor of sans makeup, the more I am feeling comfortable with it. I checked the mirror at the end of the day and there isn't much left anyway. I may keep the mascara on, it never smudges anyway and just a little pressed power foundation before landing.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:38 pm

Longhaul, I usually remove my makeup shortly after eating. I always have a travel size packet of makeup wipes with me - I really like the the Ole Henriksen ones in the orange package. I think they're called "On the Glow". They smell delicious, like orange/vanilla.

Part of my falling-asleep routine (and self-care for my skin on those long flights) involves using a single-use moisturizing sheet mask. I'll get a cognac or a brandy, apply the mask, and watch part of a movie until it's time to remove the mask. (I always bring an empty ziplock bag so I can easily collect and dispose of any trash related to my personal grooming.) Then, sleep.

Upon waking, I apply a light tinted moisurizer and a quick smudge of eyeliner. Takes less than a minute, so I don't feel like I'm hogging the bathroom. I'm sure I've done this at my seat before, but since I have to use the toilet and want to brush my teeth, I'll be in the bathroom anyway.

If I have a long enough layover to go to the lounge, I'll often do a full-face, then.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WryMartini
Longhaul, I usually remove my makeup shortly after eating. I always have a travel size packet of makeup wipes with me - I really like the the Ole Henriksen ones in the orange package. I think they're called "On the Glow". They smell delicious, like orange/vanilla.

Part of my falling-asleep routine (and self-care for my skin on those long flights) involves using a single-use moisturizing sheet mask. I'll get a cognac or a brandy, apply the mask, and watch part of a movie until it's time to remove the mask. (I always bring an empty ziplock bag so I can easily collect and dispose of any trash related to my personal grooming.) Then, sleep.

Upon waking, I apply a light tinted moisurizer and a quick smudge of eyeliner. Takes less than a minute, so I don't feel like I'm hogging the bathroom. I'm sure I've done this at my seat before, but since I have to use the toilet and want to brush my teeth, I'll be in the bathroom anyway.

If I have a long enough layover to go to the lounge, I'll often do a full-face, then.
I thought about a mask but they can be really messy. Also a bit scary.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:47 am

I have my eyelashes and eyebrows dyed. I have pale skin, brows, and lashes. With dyed lashes and brows, I don't wake up looking like a ghost.

I also use eyedrops 2 -4 times a day and don't have to worry about mascara messes.

Tinted moisturizer and a nice moisturizing lipstick are all I need.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ezzy77
I thought about a mask but they can be really messy. Also a bit scary.
I'll confess, I've gotten a few interesting looks! Funniest was when I was flying with my boss, who was very startled when he walked past me en route to the toilet. Interestingly, nearly every time I do a sheet mask, a flight attendant makes a comment along the lines of "That's such a good idea" or winds up telling me her favorite kind of sheet mask. I try to be as unobtrusive as I can, and usually most people don't even notice.

The mask can be messy but I have it down to a routine, now, and the ziplock bag helps, too. It helps if you can put a paper towel or something similar on your chest, to catch any drips. I have extremely dry skin so this routine really helps.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:05 pm

I do not remove my makeup before or during flying overnight. Toward the end of the flight, either at my seat or in the lav I freshen up my lipstick and pressed powder foundation. As soon as I check in my hotel, I take a bath and redo my face and hair after that.
cawhite and Ezzy77 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by WryMartini
I'll confess, I've gotten a few interesting looks! Funniest was when I was flying with my boss, who was very startled when he walked past me en route to the toilet. Interestingly, nearly every time I do a sheet mask, a flight attendant makes a comment along the lines of "That's such a good idea" or winds up telling me her favorite kind of sheet mask. I try to be as unobtrusive as I can, and usually most people don't even notice.

The mask can be messy but I have it down to a routine, now, and the ziplock bag helps, too. It helps if you can put a paper towel or something similar on your chest, to catch any drips. I have extremely dry skin so this routine really helps.
I recently switched to using Foreo, which is a little device that attaches a piece of mask (you buy them separately). I use those inflight for an intense hydration boost because it only takes 90 seconds for 1 round (you can do 2 for each mask, since there is a lot of leftover essence). It solved the "weird woman with a white sheet on her face" problem for me

The device itself was a little costly, but I managed to fit a great deal at my local duty free before one of my flights and grabbed it.
Ezzy77 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I always brush my teeth and take my makeup off in the air before "bedtime". I apply eye cream the heavy moisturizer that I use at night at home. Maintaining my routine cues my body that it is time for sleep and helps me to relax.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:05 pm

I say either do it while in the seat (who cares what people think!) or wait until you land to use the airport restroom. And/or if you have access to a lounge, they might have a private restroom.

Originally Posted by Ezzy77
I haven't been on a flight longer than 4 or so hours for decades. I'm flying Delta One to Europe next month. I will most likely apply my makeup by 8:30AM EST and will arrive at my destination in Italy at 7:45AM Central European time (about 17 hrs later). I'm trying to figure out how avoid scaring people when I arrive.

I have 4 hours at JFK between flights so will do some touchups. The flight to Milan leaves around 5:30 PM so I thought I'd use something to remove it after dinner before trying to sleep (fingers crossed). I do want to arrive somewhat presentable. This isn't a 5 minute process. There are only 2 lavs in the cabin so don't want to hog one for 30 minutes. I would use the lav to wash and brush my teeth but would it be considered rude to put it on while sitting in my seat? It is an A330-300 so no door. I'm at the window so nobody next to me.

Do you have a routine you can share? Thanks!
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
I've seen women apply makeup on plane at end of overnight flight. I'm totally okay with that. Other option would be to use airport restroom after flight.
I kind of get grossed out in the airplane restrooms and minimize my time in them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.