Travel with Retinol

Old Nov 16, 19, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Travel with Retinol

I recently got a prescription for Retinol which Is doing well for me. The product is not a cream but a gel consistencyó very slippery and silicone feeling. I donít want to take the whole container with me when I travel, and I donít need to take a very large amount. But all of my standard tiny travel containers (mostly with snap top lids) seem to leak this stuff. Any suggestions for a very small, non leak container?
Old Nov 16, 19, 12:00 pm

Programs: NWAgold
Some retinols are light sensitive and prone to oxidation, so transferring to a secondary container could affect potency. Probably a good idea to keep to retinol cream in the original container even if itís a pain to pack.
Old Nov 16, 19, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I know about the oxidation possibilities but traveling with the large container is a no go. I only take a very small amount (about the size of a quarter for 5 days) and donít expose it to heat or direct sunlight, so I think the oxidation risk is relatively low.
Old Nov 16, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Contact lens covers. Work great for small amounts of gel or cream consistencies.
cawhite likes this.
Old Nov 16, 19, 10:17 pm

Would also suggest contact lens covers or empty 5ml squeeze lip gloss tube but likely larger than you need for a week. The lip gloss lid nipple helps keep stuff from oozing out and is how I transport my physical face SPF. I only wish I could find lip gloss tubes in solid colors like they have for some primers and samples. Litesmith has a 3ml black dropper bottle https://www.litesmith.com/mini-dropper-bottles/ but I haven't used mine, yet. I also have a few flat bottom micro centrifuge tubes with o-rings. They hold 1.5ml and are amazing for liquids which try to defy all my other containers or I really only need a tiny bit.

I also just bought a bunch of hinged snap top lid lacons which makeup counters used to make samples in before the move to lidded jars. These have a small flange at the top. Lacons come in various sizes.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Nov 17, 19 at 1:24 am
Old Nov 17, 19, 8:23 am

@freecia you're killing me when you post about your travel bottles!!! Every word excites me
freecia, gretchendz and ShopAround like this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 4:02 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by titaniumfemme View Post
I recently got a prescription for Retinol which Is doing well for me. The product is not a cream but a gel consistencyó very slippery and silicone feeling. I donít want to take the whole container with me when I travel, and I donít need to take a very large amount. But all of my standard tiny travel containers (mostly with snap top lids) seem to leak this stuff. Any suggestions for a very small, non leak container?
Go back to the pharmacy and ask them to transfer a small amount to a small container and label it with the prescription label - they should have opaque containers with tight lids. Hopefully the prescription label would get the TSA or their ilk to leave it alone.
Elizabethh likes this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 5:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Gold
Or

You can do what I do...travel with wrinkles
Elizabethh likes this.
Old Nov 21, 19, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gretchendz View Post
You can do what I do...travel with wrinkles
LOL. It's always an option!
Old Nov 21, 19, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia View Post
Would also suggest contact lens covers or empty 5ml squeeze lip gloss tube but likely larger than you need for a week. The lip gloss lid nipple helps keep stuff from oozing out and is how I transport my physical face SPF. I only wish I could find lip gloss tubes in solid colors like they have for some primers and samples. Litesmith has a 3ml black dropper bottle https://www.litesmith.com/mini-dropper-bottles/ but I haven't used mine, yet. I also have a few flat bottom micro centrifuge tubes with o-rings. They hold 1.5ml and are amazing for liquids which try to defy all my other containers or I really only need a tiny bit.

I also just bought a bunch of hinged snap top lid lacons which makeup counters used to make samples in before the move to lidded jars. These have a small flange at the top. Lacons come in various sizes.
Very helpful, thank you. I also have a bunch of the hinged snap top lid containers (in a couple of sizes) -- I tried them, and the slippery stuff just oozed right past that flange in travel. I'll take a look at the dropper bottles and micro centrifuge tubes. For my trip this week I tried the contact lens covers - that seems like it may do the trick.
freecia likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 4:41 pm

I used the screw top contact lenses for eye gel successfully - that's the kind husband had in the house when he stopped wearing contacts.
Old Nov 26, 19, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Elizabethh View Post
They come in a bunch of sizes but you can start here...
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Vials...8XASXZM1G09KVJ
As "she-who-has-way-too-many-travel-bottles", I would also suggest phenolic cone caps in the corresponding neck size. I bought some cone caps after hydrating serum just oozed out of an eye dropper bulb (black rubber cap, plastic neck, glass pipette ) cap after a flight.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PolySeal-Bl...5G_vkko3frmSMw

Glass is generally better than polypropylene for essential oils and alcohol based liquids like perfumes. Cap and liner materials https://www.calpaclab.com/caps-and-liners/
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by freecia; Nov 26, 19 at 12:40 am

Search this Thread