Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

There's a fire alarm in your hotel at 3AM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

There's a fire alarm in your hotel at 3AM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
What do you grab? This happened to me earlier this month during a business trip. In my sleep haze, once I realized that the noise was not actually my wake up alarm but a fire alarm the first thing I did was...put on a bra. I wasn't even fully awake. I left everything else behind and proceeded down the stairs. Thankfully everything was fine and we could all go back to our rooms. It occurred to me the next morning that I never even thought about passport, phone, etc. Just, "fire alarm...bra...get out". Foundation garment trumps survival instinct.
Many years ago I had that experience. Since then I've made it a habit when in hotels to sleep in something I could run in (and not be too embarrassed), and slip-on shoes are next to the bed. On the nightstand are my essentials - purse, phone, room key. Laptop bag is near the door.

Also, when I arrive and am heading toward my room, I check where the fire exits are. Trying to find one in the pitch dark of the 8th floor hallway, when I could hear the fire trucks arriving outside, is not an experience I care to repeat.
copperfield27 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Long ago I must have received the hint that it's not a good idea to go commando when sleeping -- not that I ever needed such a hint.

Last year I had a hotel evacuation in the dark hours of the morning. I was literally among the last ten percent of the guests to get out of the hotel because of a few factors. What didn't delay me was my grabbing of my coat, which is where I had -- as per my routine -- kept my primary passport+secondary phone+bank cards in a pocket along with a room key (since I actually always insist on two room keys out of habit ever since dealing with hotels that require the key to be left in a slot to activate the room lights). It was a cold winter morning (for others) for the 30-40 minutes it took for the firefighters to give us the all clear to re-enter. I guess one upside of preferring to be where the weather has most people wearing a jacket/coat is that I'm better prepared to evacuate in the middle of the night.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:43 pm

Perhaps thanks to a tip on FT years ago, I always sleep in hotels with shoes (flats) next to the bed. Into the shoes (atop a handkerchief or tissue) at bedtime go my glasses, wallet with room key, and car keys (if applicable). I wear to sleep and to fly something that I could run or climb in if I had to.

Phone is either with the shoes or immediately above them charging on the nightstand. It's now a habit to roll over and be able to put my hand on shoes and essentials in the dark/smoke/in case of emergency.

I supposed you could set the whole arrangement on top of a tablet or laptop if those were essential to you, but I've never felt the need.
gretchendz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.