Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foldable/Packable Purse?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by cubbie
My only annoyance is that the strap slips off my shoulder with some winter coat fabrics; I might sew something with more traction to the underside of the strap to prevent that. If it's annoying me in that way I just wear it crossbody, which works fine except with a bulky coat.
What I like about the Kipling is that it has a wide strap that's also adjustable. The strap stays put and doesn't slide but I can also change the length from shoulder to crossbody as needed. At times, when the bag is at maximum capacity, or I need my shoulder for a different bag, the ability to wear the bag crossbody is a huge plus.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:45 am

Some Kipling and LeSportsac bags have removable shoulder straps so you can add a non-slip pad or change it out to a better one if needed. I use a mini OP/Tech strap for overloaded larger purses https://optechusa.com/s-o-s-strap.html
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:08 pm

Longchamp and MZ Wallace have a variety of bags that fit your criteria.
Nikongirl likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I'm a bit late to the party with this one...I use one of several Baggalini bags when I travel. They pack flat, then I can use on the ground in a destination. I even have one that is large enough to hold my mirrorless camera.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:59 am

Thank you for adding valuable comments. I was going to ask a similiar question but now got the answer here.

Thanks everyone
gretchendz and tcl like this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:36 am

Ever since travel has been restricted I have been daydreaming about travel and travel products. I am always idly on the look out for all things travel related and in the back of my mind have continued to look for a "nicer" roll up and bring along purse (I still love my Kipling but I needed something that could be dressed up more).
I recently came across this:
Longchamp Le Pliage Neo Flat Crossbody

The size seems right and it looks like it will hold just enough. I have streamlined my must have in my purse essentials pretty thoroughly. The one in the link is the current style. Nordstrom Rack has the older style in Navy for around 70$ less so I've ordered one.

OP, if you're still there did you ever find the right bag? If not, maybe this one will work for you?

Of course once mine arrives I will test pack it and see how it feels, imagine I'm taking it on a trip then report back
Old Mar 23, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Oh thank you for posting this. A bag like this is always my eternal quest. I don't want to admit how many cross-bodies I have bought with travel in mind during lock down. Suffice it say, and I am embarrassed to admit this, I can probably travel a year and not repeat a bag. I have a little room with all my travel stuff, and now I just buy things for future travel, and then go sit there and look at them and dream. Sad, isn't it?
Hoyaheel, ysolde and rsqrott like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I'm way late to this thread, but very much of the same mindset! I have a Tumi nylon as my usual/packable, and then a Lo & Sons waverly - a teensy purse that also turns into a wristlet that works as a night purse where the tumi just feels far too casual. The combo has worked well for me!
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
I have a little room with all my travel stuff, and now I just buy things for future travel, and then go sit there and look at them and dream. Sad, isn't it?
A bit wistful and very compassionate. I hope you don't feel sad. Many of us are also in the same boat and running travel simulations to remind ourselves of past trips, future dreams, and all the cultures we are missing out on in person but trying to help by staying put. It can feel like we're alone in this but really, we could probably hold a virtual travel (fashion) show at this point.

I saw a couple wearing backpacking gear walking around the neighborhood yesterday. I don't know if they're training for a long hike or just taking their gear for a stroll. Taking some travel gear out and using it a bit is a fine idea. I have been using my travel USB chargers for WFH and it is a good reminder for me to use some of my travel toiletries before they get icky. My travel thermos gets used every day to help hydrate. Had some of my travel tea stash the other day (yes, the loose leaf at home is still better).

Tote a different travel purse each week around the house and use a travel scarf to warm up on a couch while watching a favorite travel show & eating some local snacks if that makes you happy. Order things online from those communities or sign up for virtual classes in those locales to spend money locally. I'm doing the same and complementing your clever travel purses even if I can't see them though will always be happy to see pictures of purse interiors. So few brands post detailed diagrams or pictures of the pockets, especially with things in them.
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
So sweet!

Originally Posted by freecia
A bit wistful and very compassionate. I hope you don't feel sad. Many of us are also in the same boat and running travel simulations to remind ourselves of past trips, future dreams, and all the cultures we are missing out on in person but trying to help by staying put. It can feel like we're alone in this but really, we could probably hold a virtual travel (fashion) show at this point.

I saw a couple wearing backpacking gear walking around the neighborhood yesterday. I don't know if they're training for a long hike or just taking their gear for a stroll. Taking some travel gear out and using it a bit is a fine idea. I have been using my travel USB chargers for WFH and it is a good reminder for me to use some of my travel toiletries before they get icky. My travel thermos gets used every day to help hydrate. Had some of my travel tea stash the other day (yes, the loose leaf at home is still better).

Tote a different travel purse each week around the house and use a travel scarf to warm up on a couch while watching a favorite travel show & eating some local snacks if that makes you happy. Order things online from those communities or sign up for virtual classes in those locales to spend money locally. I'm doing the same and complementing your clever travel purses even if I can't see them though will always be happy to see pictures of purse interiors. So few brands post detailed diagrams or pictures of the pockets, especially with things in them.
Such lovely ideas. I have begun planning and booking several trips for late 2021 and 2022; that helps. I just make sure they are 100% cancellable at no cost, because we still don't know what the future holds. It certainly helps. Also, I am grateful to be vaccinated.

The other "up side" is that I have saved so much money this last year that I will be probably going with a bit more luxury when I do go!
freecia and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 3:22 pm

The Longchamp bag arrived today and I'll be test carrying it to the supermarket tonight (my glamorous life).
The navy is a great color, like a dark midnight blue. The interior is the same dark color which, while lovely, leads to the purse black hole effect.
However, since most of my bags are black I have compensated by using brightly colored objects inside.

The nylon is nice and heavy, the interior is coated for water resistance. The bag "feels" nice and can definitely take me from day to night without issue. A quick flip and the zip and branding are up against my side. The straps are adjustable and a nice thickness. I know this is a nylon bag but it really looks nice.

Though not large it holds more than enough. My glasses case (taupe), wallet (pink), phone (gold), hand sanitizer, travel tote and travel umbrella all fit and at a glance I can see where each item is without having to dig. There's still plenty of room in the bag for other essentials without it getting overstuffed. This may actually be "the" bag.

I am really glad that I went with the navy over the black. The bag flattens nicely or rolls up to roughly the same size as my travel umbrella.
Buster and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
The Longchamp bag arrived today and I'll be test carrying it to the supermarket tonight (my glamorous life).
The navy is a great color, like a dark midnight blue. The interior is the same dark color which, while lovely, leads to the purse black hole effect.
However, since most of my bags are black I have compensated by using brightly colored objects inside.

The nylon is nice and heavy, the interior is coated for water resistance. The bag "feels" nice and can definitely take me from day to night without issue. A quick flip and the zip and branding are up against my side. The straps are adjustable and a nice thickness. I know this is a nylon bag but it really looks nice.

Though not large it holds more than enough. My glasses case (taupe), wallet (pink), phone (gold), hand sanitizer, travel tote and travel umbrella all fit and at a glance I can see where each item is without having to dig. There's still plenty of room in the bag for other essentials without it getting overstuffed. This may actually be "the" bag.

I am really glad that I went with the navy over the black. The bag flattens nicely or rolls up to roughly the same size as my travel umbrella.
Could you post photos of it empty and full, for size comparison?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Could you post photos of it empty and full, for size comparison?
There's actually a really good photo of the interior on the Nordstrom Rack website:
empty interior

Interior space from the bottom to the zipper is about 8". I tried to get an empty interior photo but couldn't manage to keep the bag open/camera steady/cat out of it.

Here's what mine looks like packed with essentials listed above (glasses case, wallet, phone, umbrella, tote and sanitizer). It's hard to see from the angle but there's still a good half of the bags interior left for "stuff":

half full
Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
There's actually a really good photo of the interior on the Nordstrom Rack website:
empty interior

Interior space from the bottom to the zipper is about 8". I tried to get an empty interior photo but couldn't manage to keep the bag open/camera steady/cat out of it.

Here's what mine looks like packed with essentials listed above (glasses case, wallet, phone, umbrella, tote and sanitizer). It's hard to see from the angle but there's still a good half of the bags interior left for "stuff":

half full
Obviously, the cat considers itself an essential, too. Fellow cat mom chuckling much too much at the post above (and love the bag, btw).
Hoyaheel and rsqrott like this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:55 pm

empty interior

half full
Congratulations on keeping the cat out of it!

Thanks for posting the photo.
gretchendz, ysolde and rsqrott like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.