FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Korean beauty (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1975745-korean-beauty.html)

Hoyaheel Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Korean beauty

I'll be spending the night outside the Seoul airport next month and one one plan is to go to the store next to the hotel (I love drug & grocery store shopping for souvenirs!!) Any recommendations on beauty items I should try? Sheet masks are on my list (something I typically buy anywhere I am in Asia) The store is emart (so-so reviews but I'm going anyway!)

[from there we're heading to Vietnam and Cambodia - finding fun things at local markets is definitely on my agenda! As will be lots of sink laundry, given the temps & humidity I'm expecting :-)]

freecia Jun 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Blemish patches if you get them or know people who get acne. Acropass has ones with microneedles for cystic acne.
Sunblock - I prefer the Asian stuff
Anything that you need to swatch!

FlyerStef Jun 28, 2019 10:19 am

If you like lip tints/stains, I find the best ones around are korean - I like the formula of the peripera ones (go on thick, dry down completely), and the peel off tints (I think the ones I use are called My Lip Tint) are TOTALLY WEIRD, but pretty awesome and really do last forever. I can't be bothered to ever reapply lipstick so anything that will stain my lips a slightly darker color and last all day work fantastically well for me.

east_of_the_sun Jun 28, 2019 10:52 am

Ooh, I hope you find some treasures!

I love to shop in grocery and drug stores for cosmetics when I travel, too. I almost always find things I’ve never seen before and I buy those for souvenirs for myself and for friends.

Hoyaheel Jun 29, 2019 5:54 am

Thanks - making notes!!

Lip stains - how dry are they? I have seriously dry lips much of the year and am addicted to lip balms and lip oils. Stains (and anything matte or long lasting) are usually too dry for me.....

Also trying to figure out how they put microneedles in a blemish patch but oh my that sounds interesting! My husband might be interested.....[ETA I googled - wow - definitely want to pick up some for husband!!]

bamboola Jun 29, 2019 10:12 am

Sunblock and face masks, for sure. I like Missha, which you can buy online in the U.S. It currently has a 40% off sale until July 9.
https://www.misshaus.com/default/shop.html

I also like Dr. Jart, more high-end and available at Sephora. If you find a Daiso, it has silicone face masks that help to keep the hydrating masks in place.

MSPeconomist Jun 29, 2019 10:16 am

Some spas in Asia offer pedicures that include a soaking with little live fish in the water that eat off dry/rough skin. It's a unique thing to try.

freecia Jun 29, 2019 3:31 pm

You might want to check out a lip sleeping pack https://youtu.be/aHGf_CGOx10?t=471. I usually apply a face sleeping pack gel-type mask before long haul flights to provide an occlusive layer as it is fairly clear, just a bit shiny.

Hoyaheel Jun 29, 2019 4:09 pm

No fish pedicures! I'm so ticklish - I can barely handle a regular pedicure!

CDTraveler Jul 4, 2019 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31252151)
Some spas in Asia offer pedicures that include a soaking with little live fish in the water that eat off dry/rough skin. It's a unique thing to try.

There's some pretty nasty infections associated with fish pedicures. I'd give that a pass.

Hoyaheel Jul 5, 2019 5:11 am

I might look for some of the baby feet treatments, though. I buy from Amazon but I'll see if they're available more cheaply where I go by ICN. The ones I've bought definitely work (glycol, it's gonna do something ;-)

FlyerStef Jul 8, 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 31251542)
Thanks - making notes!!

Lip stains - how dry are they? I have seriously dry lips much of the year and am addicted to lip balms and lip oils. Stains (and anything matte or long lasting) are usually too dry for me.....

They're not as dry as you'd think - I tend to put lip balm on over them once they've dried down and don't notice the texture. No lip peeling either, which I tend to get with a lot of long wear/matte lipstick (and I hate the matte look anyway).

tcl Jul 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Sunscreen. I like Missha and Anessa (Shiseido). Inexpensive sheet masks.

DragonSoul Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Peach & Lily has some nice products.

BigLar Jul 19, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31252151)

Hmmm. A couple of years ago we were in the South of France (Menton, to be exact) and went swimming at their lovely beach. I noticed that there were little fishes swarming around my legs.

It was a little annoying at first, but my daughter told me, "Dad - women pay big money for that. Relax and enjoy it." :)

I guess they just nibble the dead skin off exposed body parts. Not exactly my favorite pastime, but oh well ... when in France and all that.