Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Laundry (specifically, of undies)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laundry (specifically, of undies)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I have done that with socks.
Taking older socks and getting rid of them? I've done that as well, or picked up an inexpensive pack of plain white athletic socks if I know I'm going to be somewhere that I'll be doing a ton of walking. I then have no attachment to them and don't mind throwing them out before I leave.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Something else I will do is when I notice a bra is near the end of its life, I will tuck it aside and then take that on vacation with me. I wear it for vacation and then throw it out before packing to head home. It frees up some space in my luggage.
I do that with undies.
cawhite and polyesther like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I do that with undies.
My undies and bras match, so if I do it with one, they both get tossed.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I also save undies to travel and toss.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: DL
I find hand washing undies much more acceptable than buying new ones and wearing them before they've been washed, as I don't know what kind of dyes are still in the new garment, or where they've been/who has touched them.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I also save undies to travel and toss.
It seems like there are a lot of us that do this!
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
I find hand washing undies much more acceptable than buying new ones and wearing them before they've been washed, as I don't know what kind of dyes are still in the new garment, or where they've been/who has touched them.
I knew some in the garment industry who told me how many hands touch your 'new' clothes before you ever do (it was crazy, like 20, from the cloth manufacturing process to final checkers). Add in the chemicals used, and she said she never wears anything without fully washing it first.
Dianne47, tcl and altabello like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I knew some in the garment industry who told me how many hands touch your 'new' clothes before you ever do (it was crazy, like 20, from the cloth manufacturing process to final checkers). Add in the chemicals used, and she said she never wears anything without fully washing it first.
Somebody here on FT posted a smilier comment about sheets. S/He said s/he worked in the textile industry and after touring their factories in China will never again wear or otherwise use new, unwashed fabric products.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:06 am

I got the best tip ever on this on a Women’s travel group. Buy Ex Officio panties. They dry very quickly and are the most comfortable I have ever worn. Whenever I see a sale on them, I buy them.
tcl and altabello like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I love my ex officio undies. A couple years back, I also bought some cheap fruit of the loom coolmesh bikinis and another wicking style - not as great as ex officio but MUCH cheaper - I tend to save my ex officio for travel and use the cheaper options at home during the summer.
altabello likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
A product that really helps me with travel laundry is Lucky Fiji power laundry detergent sheets. I buy them via Amazon. The come 15 sheets in a zippy bag and 3 bags in a box. 45 sheets in a box for about $12 USD.

I cut the sheets into 1/2 or 1/3 for travel and put them into a smaller zippy bag. No mess, no fuss.

the sheets dissolve when you use the so nothing to throw away.

very good results and my luggage smells fresh.
SanDiego1K, Dianne47 and freecia like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by ysolde
Here's the secret to sink washing -- I bring my prettiest, frilliest undies when I travel. Those are the easiest to wash and the fastest to dry. Yes, I know -- TMI.
Yes! Another benefit is they take up very little room, and I always have several stashed away in my carry-on if I'm checking luggage so I'm not caught out.

Although my preferred ones are not terribly frilly-- some variation of On Gossamer's Mesh Boy Shorts or bikinis--but the mesh is nonetheless attractive, comfortable, packs down to nothing, and dries incredibly quickly. I've started taking the travel packets of The Laundress Le Labo Rose 31 detergent as well on longer trips as an added luxury to offset the irritation of doing laundry on vaction.
tcl, Hoyaheel and ysolde like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:30 pm

I have a german handwash in a tube I like to travel with - I bought several (so cheap!) in Germany a few years ago. I'll have to find something else when I finally run out....(I do have a couple teeny tubes that are <100ml if I'm doing carry-on, but I bring my larger tubes if I'm checking a bag....)
SanDiego1K and ysolde like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:21 am

If you are looking for travel size laundry detergent, you can buy several varieties at https://www.alltravelsizes.com/73-tr...oe-accessories or https://www.minimus.biz/detergent-machine-wash.aspx Minimus also has Tide in "sink" packets--smaller sizes.
tcl likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:43 am

I like a liquid - feel it works better for sink laundry (which is why in a pinch I prefer hotel shampoo to a powder). Haven't tried an American liquid I like as much as the german option I found....The consistency is great (for my preferences....) and I love the tube - just use as much as I need, like toothpaste. Hey, I've been known to prioritize a trip to France to get cough syrup - why not Germany for hand detergent? :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.