Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Laundry (specifically, of undies)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laundry (specifically, of undies)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I like a liquid - feel it works better for sink laundry (which is why in a pinch I prefer hotel shampoo to a powder). Haven't tried an American liquid I like as much as the german option I found....The consistency is great (for my preferences....) and I love the tube - just use as much as I need, like toothpaste. Hey, I've been known to prioritize a trip to France to get cough syrup - why not Germany for hand detergent? :-)
Some of the ones at the sites I posted are liquid. We used to pack Purex 3-in-1 sheets when we knew we'd be staying where there was a washing machine, but I believe they were discontinued.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I pack my own (powder) when we rent an apt with laundry.

I didn't see any liquids that appealed ;-) I do have a woolite envelope sample I keep in my 3-1-1 bag for emergencies. And I finally found a box of Stain wipes (instead of a pen or whatnot - those ALWAYS leak for me) at Target so I bought the box. I'm willing to buy online but hate paying shipping when I just need a couple tiny things. Of course, that's how I ended up with a case of personal toilet paper rolls too. I'll have enough to travel until I die, I think.....But hey, only $10 on Amazon, so..... ;-)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:18 pm

I have a few small packets of Ariel powder detergent which I get at the Tokyu Stay chain in Japan (rooms usually come with washing machines) but I've never seen them sold in a multipack.

The Purex sheet is pretty much a dried out liquid detergent and softener which I always cut off in fear of it gunking up technical fabrics. One could probably make something similar with liquid detergent and orphaned socks which would allow them to bring their own favored detergent.

I make my own dish soap "dry wipes" by saturating a scrap of ShamWow with dish soap and letting it dry out. It gets a little tacky but suds up fine once you add a bit of water. I cut a few up in 1" strips/squares and put in a small pill bag since I just need to wash a mug or water bottle. Residue from heavily scented hand soap/shower gel makes for the most horrible cup of tea. Any absorbent paper substitute would probably work - sponge, reusable wipe https://www.target.com/p/scotch-brit...k/-/A-13163411 It is a lot lighter than a liquid soap and doesn't need to fit in a 311.

Last edited by freecia; Jun 27, 2019 at 2:23 pm Reason: Removed: repeated oldpenny16's rec for Fiji!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:51 pm

+1 on taking worn undies and discarding on the road.
+1 about never wearing or using textiles which have not been washed.

OP - hand washing works fine. You are not trying to wash mud out of jeans, for example. Sink washing gets undies clean. Rinse a second time if you wish.

Or you can take disposable panties. www.Magellans.com has them.

Or you could buy cheap panties and socks at Target and treat them as disposable.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
I make my own dish soap "dry wipes" by saturating a scrap of ShamWow with dish soap and letting it dry out. It gets a little tacky but suds up fine once you add a bit of water. I cut a few up in 1" strips/squares and put in a small pill bag since I just need to wash a mug or water bottle. Residue from heavily scented hand soap/shower gel makes for the most horrible cup of tea. Any absorbent paper substitute would probably work - sponge, reusable wipe https://www.target.com/p/scotch-brit...k/-/A-13163411 It is a lot lighter than a liquid soap and doesn't need to fit in a 311.
I carry a small bar of Ivory (usually from a hotel, I've collected quite a few over the years) that works very well for washing mugs, spoons, etc. I just have to let it dry a bit before putting it back in its ziplock. My mother used Ivory bar soap for everything from washing dishes to hand laundry to major household cleaning. I'm not quite that addicted to it, but it does do a lot of jobs well.
freecia likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:16 pm

I have a german handwash in a tube I like to travel with - I bought several (so cheap!) in Germany a few years ago. I'll have to find something else when I finally run out....(I do have a couple teeny tubes that are <100ml if I'm doing carry-on, but I bring my larger tubes if I'm checking a bag....)
What brand is it?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:26 am

Rei in der tube is one, but the other one (in a white tube, I think) I can't find online - I'll check tonight and see what it is :-)
https://www.germanshop24.com/non-foo...be-4.23-fl.oz/

[the ivory soap comment reminded me I also have some Fels-Naptha chunks in a ziploc bag that stay in a couple of my suitcases - those are good for laundry as well]
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:36 pm

Store brand ;-) From a drug store, of course! https://www.dm.de/denkmit-handwaschm...355558831.html

.65E for a tube. Yeah, no wonder I bought a bunch :-)
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Another vote for the LG Lucky Fiji laundry sheets. I spent 5 weeks in Europe recently and took one packet of 15 sheets. I used 1/4 of a sheet for sink laundry and 1/2 to a whole sheet for machine laundry. I had several sheets still left in the packet when I got home.

For the OP, the Accor Adagio Aparthotel chain in Europe has laundry rooms with machines inside the hotel. I only stayed at 2 locations (Edinburgh and Brussels) but really like the kitchenettes and laundry rooms offered by this group of hotels. I used the front-loader machines but not the dryers, I just hang up clean items in the closet and let them dry overnight.

Actually, I have somewhat a phobia about using laundromat or hotel washers, they never ever get cleaned, right? I would be in trouble if I didn't do a lot of sink washing on trips. And I would never ever throw clothing of any kind away while traveling. We all have our quirks...
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Handwashing is usually cleaner than machine washing (think about how a washing machine works - it basically shakes a bowl of water with your clothes in it for 20 minutes versus you physically scrubbing it), but the fabric ends up being a lot stiffer and "feeling" less clean because the tumble dry is what makes the fabric soft and "fresh". You can stimulate the effect with blow drying your laundry (but that takes forever).

If you're still opposed, then you can always use liners. These are super thin and lightweight:
Amazon Amazon
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Another vote for the LG Lucky Fiji laundry sheets. I spent 5 weeks in Europe recently and took one packet of 15 sheets. I used 1/4 of a sheet for sink laundry and 1/2 to a whole sheet for machine laundry. I had several sheets still left in the packet when I got home.

For the OP, the Accor Adagio Aparthotel chain in Europe has laundry rooms with machines inside the hotel. I only stayed at 2 locations (Edinburgh and Brussels) but really like the kitchenettes and laundry rooms offered by this group of hotels. I used the front-loader machines but not the dryers, I just hang up clean items in the closet and let them dry overnight.

Actually, I have somewhat a phobia about using laundromat or hotel washers, they never ever get cleaned, right? I would be in trouble if I didn't do a lot of sink washing on trips. And I would never ever throw clothing of any kind away while traveling. We all have our quirks...
I look at throwing away worn clothes as a great way to get one last use out of it. I wear it on the trip and then have room for more goodies to bring home.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Handwashing is usually cleaner than machine washing (think about how a washing machine works - it basically shakes a bowl of water with your clothes in it for 20 minutes versus you physically scrubbing it), but the fabric ends up being a lot stiffer and "feeling" less clean because the tumble dry is what makes the fabric soft and "fresh". You can stimulate the effect with blow drying your laundry (but that takes forever).

If you're still opposed, then you can always use liners. These are super thin and lightweight: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797HP1FD
I find one way to keep sink washed clothes from feeling quite so stiff is to use hotel-provided conditioner as fabric softener. I wash my clothes (usually underwear) in the sink, using shampoo. I let them sit in the sudsy water for an hour or so. I rinse thoroughly. After that, I place in the sink again with a small amount of hotel-provided conditioner, and let them sit in the conditioner water for another half hour. Then, I rinse thoroughly again, making sure no shampoo or conditioner remains on my garments. Then, I gently squeeze dry on a towel, so much of the moisture is out. Hang dry. Everything ends up clean, and feeling soft.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by ysolde
I find one way to keep sink washed clothes from feeling quite so stiff is to use hotel-provided conditioner as fabric softener. I wash my clothes (usually underwear) in the sink, using shampoo. I let them sit in the sudsy water for an hour or so. I rinse thoroughly. After that, I place in the sink again with a small amount of hotel-provided conditioner, and let them sit in the conditioner water for another half hour. Then, I rinse thoroughly again, making sure no shampoo or conditioner remains on my garments. Then, I gently squeeze dry on a towel, so much of the moisture is out. Hang dry. Everything ends up clean, and feeling soft.
Hmmm.... it never occurred to me that "hair conditioner" could "condition" fabric.
I'll give this a try.
Thanks.

Put me in the camp of HATING to send out undies. NEVER with bras; they'd come back mangled or the elastic would have been overheated... And panties? No thanks... I'll do my own if not at home. And I agree that liners can help a *lot* here...

GC
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:04 am

I air dry about half my laundry at home, and I don't use fabric softener, so I never noticed that handwashing while traveling left things stiff or scratchy. Really do learn a lot on flyertalk! ;-)
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:23 am

I air dry about half my laundry at home, and I don't use fabric softener, so I never noticed that handwashing while traveling left things stiff or scratchy. Really do learn a lot on flyertalk! ;-)
I air dry all of my unmentionables and have never noticed that. Although, considering Mr. Kipper does the hand washing, perhaps he uses fabric softener.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.