Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a long, LIGHTWEIGHT rain jacket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

I'm looking for one in grey. I have this anorak but it's white and not meant for rain, here's a picture for a style reference.

I want something long, lightweight and oversized so I can wear it over a coat, use it any season and pack light. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have a hip length Eddie Bauer trench I just got a few months ago that has been great for travel. Removable hood (because I HATE hoods but acknowledge every so often they're useful....) It's definitely a technical jacket and not a fashion jacket, but it's large enough for me to wear over a fleece jacket if I need warmth. I believe the style also comes in insulated, but for me, uninsulated is more flexible & better for my needs.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/w...izetype=&size=

Nordstrom has some lovely options too, not sure which would actually be waterproof vs just attractive.

Mycra Pac is a brand I've heard quite a bit of (here, I think, as well as on some travel blogs) but I don't have personal experience with them.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I have a hip length Eddie Bauer trench I just got a few months ago that has been great for travel. Removable hood (because I HATE hoods but acknowledge every so often they're useful....) It's definitely a technical jacket and not a fashion jacket, but it's large enough for me to wear over a fleece jacket if I need warmth. I believe the style also comes in insulated, but for me, uninsulated is more flexible & better for my needs.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/w...izetype=&size=

Nordstrom has some lovely options too, not sure which would actually be waterproof vs just attractive.

Mycra Pac is a brand I've heard quite a bit of (here, I think, as well as on some travel blogs) but I don't have personal experience with them.
Thanks for the tips! I love your jacket, I just wish it was at least knee length but the grey was exactly the color I would like. Those Mycra Pac's are a bit pricey but I found a "gently Used" one on ebay for $20, I ordered though it might be too long, but I can at least get a feel for their sizing and material before I think of spending $250+
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Try Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, Lands' End. My newest rain trench is from Eddie Bauer, the "Girl on the Go" trench style. Mine is the indigo color with a flattering subtle vertical pattern, it does have a zip-off hood. I size up so I can wear layers underneath. The coat also comes in a zip-off liner style.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/W...0on%20the%20go

(Oops, I see this trench has already been linked by a previous poster.)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'm 5'4" and my EB trench comes to my knees, so ;-) Sometimes it's good to be short ;-)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Dannimac trench coat which is the lightest coat I have ever held! Mine looks like this style, comes to my mid calf, but is in an oatmeal colour, not purple

https://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/dann...ur:Lilac,size:

I take it with me when I travel because it rolls up very small, is waterproof, but still looks smart and like a much more expensive coat (I have been asked more than once if it is Burberry)

I bought mine years ago, so not sure if they are still making the type I have, but may be worth looking at that brand?
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
I have a Dannimac trench coat which is the lightest coat I have ever held! Mine looks like this style, comes to my mid calf, but is in an oatmeal colour, not purple

https://www.simplybe.co.uk/shop/dann...ur:Lilac,size:

I take it with me when I travel because it rolls up very small, is waterproof, but still looks smart and like a much more expensive coat (I have been asked more than once if it is Burberry)

I bought mine years ago, so not sure if they are still making the type I have, but may be worth looking at that brand?
Great looking coat but not on their US site. Do they have physical stores in the UK? My husband will be there next week.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hipquest
Great looking coat but not on their US site. Do they have physical stores in the UK? My husband will be there next week.
They certainly used to, I have been the wrong side of the Atlantic for a while now to give up to date information. I am pretty sure I got mine from a store in Cheshire Oaks outlets, but no idea if they still have a store there. One of the chain department stores may carry them?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
They certainly used to, I have been the wrong side of the Atlantic for a while now to give up to date information. I am pretty sure I got mine from a store in Cheshire Oaks outlets, but no idea if they still have a store there. One of the chain department stores may carry them?
I'll do some research. Thank you!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:40 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
The Mycra Pac is lovely but is only water resistant and not actually waterproof with taped seams. Plus the 2-button closure doesn't do much in the wind. LLBean's H2Off line has taped seams and waterproof fabric but can be a bit noisy to wear depending on your movement and if that sort of thing bothers you. If water repellant is OK and don't need 100% waterproof there are more options even at Uniqlo
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
The Mycra Pac is lovely but is only water resistant and not actually waterproof with taped seams. Plus the 2-button closure doesn't do much in the wind. LLBean's H2Off line has taped seams and waterproof fabric but can be a bit noisy to wear depending on your movement and if that sort of thing bothers you. If water repellant is OK and don't need 100% waterproof there are more options even at Uniqlo
I checked Uniglo after learning of the brand here Saw a very cute jacket but I don't think it's going to meet my "mash it in a bag" requirement. Whatever I end up getting will receive a waterproofing treatment on top of whatever it claims to have. If I could make a jacket out of my cheap, fold-up duffel (the one for all my travel purchases, lol, that was meant for one trip but looks like new after a dozen times being checked) I would
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:38 pm
HGH

I love my Uniqlo long blockteck raincoat. It survives being in a ziplock bag without any wrinkles and takes up very little space. It's been good with layers down to 50 degrees. But, it does get stuffy above 90 degrees.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

I received my Mycra Pac bargain and liked the fabric and style but it is too long for travel. I found, yet another one, on ebay that is Goldilocks perfect and it was a steal. Thank you all for your guidance.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:09 am

I would try ZipperTheory.com. Their jackets are pretty nice.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I love J. Crew jackets and find them to be super durable. This one is great and comes in lots of colors: https://www.jcrew.com/p/womens_categ...lor_name=black

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.