Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Makeup-what goes in your 3-1-1 Bag? Makeup bag and...

Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

Did you run into an issue when going through security to return to the US where xx country saw things differently? This is a three part question that I thought might be helpful for new flyers or someone new to a particular countries interpretation of TSA rules. What are your personal packing tips? Please share your experiences.

My 311 contains:
Shampoo
Conditioner
4 or 5 face/eye creams/washes/liquid makeup
Body lotion/cream
Perfume
Toothpaste
Items that are needed for a destination (extra spf, etc)

Makeup Bag-
Brushes
Powder
Solid powder blush and eyeshadow
Mascara
Lipstick
Pencil liners

I thought of this as I am preparing for a multi country Europe trip and remembered that at LHR and AMS when I asked security if they would like for me to transfer my 311 stuff from my bag to their ziplock they were impressed that I had a sturdy AND compliant bag versus what happened leaving Barbados. The lady in Barbados pulled ANYTHING that could remotely be construed as a "liquid or gel" from my makeup bag (mascara and lipstick) and proceeded to astonish me with what she could actually get in a quart bag (and asked me if my husband was near in case "We need to add a little to his"). She was incredibly kind but was adamant that she protect her countries ability to continue to have US flights come to Barbados, NOTHING that could be deemed questionable was getting through on her watch. I still keep mascara and lipstick in my makeup bag but it's now in a snack ziplock, just in case

Any tips or pointers for packing better or country differences?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by hipquest
Did you run into an issue when going through security to return to the US where xx country saw things differently? This is a three part question that I thought might be helpful for new flyers or someone new to a particular countries interpretation of TSA rules. What are your personal packing tips? Please share your experiences.

My 311 contains:
Shampoo
Conditioner
4 or 5 face/eye creams/washes/liquid makeup
Body lotion/cream
Perfume
Toothpaste
Items that are needed for a destination (extra spf, etc)

Makeup Bag-
Brushes
Powder
Solid powder blush and eyeshadow
Mascara
Lipstick
Pencil liners

I thought of this as I am preparing for a multi country Europe trip and remembered that at LHR and AMS when I asked security if they would like for me to transfer my 311 stuff from my bag to their ziplock they were impressed that I had a sturdy AND compliant bag versus what happened leaving Barbados. The lady in Barbados pulled ANYTHING that could remotely be construed as a "liquid or gel" from my makeup bag (mascara and lipstick) and proceeded to astonish me with what she could actually get in a quart bag (and asked me if my husband was near in case "We need to add a little to his"). She was incredibly kind but was adamant that she protect her countries ability to continue to have US flights come to Barbados, NOTHING that could be deemed questionable was getting through on her watch. I still keep mascara and lipstick in my makeup bag but it's now in a snack ziplock, just in case

Any tips or pointers for packing better or country differences?
With the TSA, sometimes they insist lipstick is a liquid, other times they ignore it. I now travel with only two instead of the four or five I used to carry. That way if they have to go in the 3-1-1 bag everything can fit.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Put the mascara in the 3-1-1 bag.

The rule I find easiest to follow is that if the item (liquid, gel, etc) conforms to the shape of the container it is placed in, it goes in the baggie.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:53 pm

I actually pack pretty much exactly as you listed and no one has ever said a thing to me. It's rare that anyone even sees my 3-1-1 in the US since I'm precheck and have been for years, but I don't change anything for Europe and no one has ever made me move anything. The only time I EVER had an issue with liquids was back when I wore contacts. The bottle was a tiny bit too large for carry on rules at AMS and I had to toss it. I just always carried it and it didn't even occur to me.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:12 pm

Measurement standards differ. 3 oz vs 100ml, 100ml is 3.38 oz and some of the US tubes will round up to 3.4oz. 3.4 oz is the official standard https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/02/25/...-oz-what-gives Most agents are ok with either measurement system now and it helps if the container has a the size marked on it. It also means that the container itself, not matter how full it is, must be 100ml or less. You can't take a half empty 6oz tube of toothpaste or sunblock in your international/US domestic carry-on.

I've never had an agent question chapstick or deodorant in my solids bag. The solid does conform to the container but unless it gets excessively warm for a long duration, it'll stay solid. Wipes seem to be ok outside the liquids bag. If you have a lot of powder flying inbound to US, it would be a solid but should also be checked if > 12 oz. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...e-they-allowed I sometimes take powdered sports drink mix when traveling to hot climates.

I usually ponder over liquids the longest when I bring food which has salad dressing, dips, or other condiments. Most TSA agents seem ok with a lunch bag in addition to personal item & carry-on (some used to check item count and size like they were given airline kickbacks on ancillary fees) without large amounts of liquid or sauce. A few ULCC's in SE Asia also don't allow you to BYO food for consumption onboard. I've also had drinks purchased post-security confiscated before boarding at a few international airports.

ETA: Coconut oil, other than its quasi liquid/solid state, is also a food and should be declared upon entry to countries with strict agriculture rules like AU & NZ. Some people use it to remove makeup or as a moisturizer.

Last edited by freecia; Feb 4, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:10 pm

Mine is the same as the OP's. Though I use powder make up, which helps with the 3 11 bag. I use Muji clear zipped bag which has been okayed at every airport but Edinburgh, where an officious chap made me put all my liquids in the quart bag. Of course it all fit it went through the scanner and I put my stuff back in my bag and handed the chap the bag back.

Sometimes I take Lush solid shampoo, a good space saver.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Mine is the same as the OP's. Though I use powder make up, which helps with the 3 11 bag. I use Muji clear zipped bag which has been okayed at every airport but Edinburgh, where an officious chap made me put all my liquids in the quart bag. Of course it all fit it went through the scanner and I put my stuff back in my bag and handed the chap the bag back.

Sometimes I take Lush solid shampoo, a good space saver.
I'm mostly powdered complexion makeup, too except I use a tinted spf moisturizer with my regular spf when climate appropriate. I'll have to look into the Lush solid shampoo!

Originally Posted by freecia

I usually ponder over liquids the longest when I bring food which has salad dressing, dips, or other condiments. Most TSA agents seem ok with a lunch bag in addition to personal item & carry-on (some used to check item count and size like they were given airline kickbacks on ancillary fees) without large amounts of liquid or sauce. A few ULCC's in SE Asia also don't allow you to BYO food for consumption onboard. I've also had drinks purchased post-security confiscated before boarding at a few international airports.

ETA: Coconut oil, other than its quasi liquid/solid state, is also a food and should be declared upon entry to countries with strict agriculture rules like AU & NZ. Some people use it to remove makeup or as a moisturizer.
I have never had an issue (knock wood) with my Duke's Mayo packets and they are never in my 311 bag. I do put a backup supply in my checked piece, just in case
I never would have thought about coconut oil being an issue. Does this apply to other oils that might be considered a "food"? I ask this because my husband actually ate my maracuja oil and told me the olive oil I had purchased "tasted funny", lol.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:52 pm

Off topic... but carrying Duke's mayo packets is one of the most southern things I have ever heard. Love it! I tried Miracle Whip once and was pretty sure I was going to die.

As for solid shampoo. I need to look that one up. That would be great for longer trips when I'm trying really hard to just keep it to a carry-on and do laundry.
hipquest likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
Off topic... but carrying Duke's mayo packets is one of the most southern things I have ever heard. Love it! I tried Miracle Whip once and was pretty sure I was going to die.

As for solid shampoo. I need to look that one up. That would be great for longer trips when I'm trying really hard to just keep it to a carry-on and do laundry.
MissJ I have turned people on to the wonders of Duke's, in a lot of places-proper mayonnaise is NEVER stark white! And I wholeheartedly agree with the Miracle Whip assessment

Back to the topic of choice...I use white vinegar, instead of soap, to wash and refresh clothing in a hotel sink.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:01 pm

I don't pack liquid clothing detergent as hotel shampoo or body wash usually works fine. I guess that could be difficult if you dislike certain scents or are sensitive to SLS. Solid shampoo often has SLS which my scalp does not agree with but hands can survive a bit of.

I've never seen maracuja or marula oil offered as a condiment but olive oil probably qualifies. I try to pack all consumables together and declare it all as the fine for not declaring food (even if it would be allowed) is pretty hefty. Biosecurity is mostly interested in fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, honey, and nuts (growth viable) but the form asks if you brought any food https://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-r...-personal-use/ instead of a specific category.

Last edited by freecia; Feb 10, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
I don't pack liquid clothing detergent as hotel shampoo or body wash usually works fine. I guess that could be difficult if you dislike certain scents or are sensitive to SLS. Solid shampoo often has SLS which my scalp does not agree with but hands can survive a bit of.

I've never seen maracuja or marula oil offered as a condiment but olive oil probably qualifies. I try to pack all consumables together and declare it all as the fine for not declaring food (even if it would be allowed) is pretty hefty. Biosecurity is mostly interested in fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, honey, and nuts (growth viable) but they the form asks if you brought any food https://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-r...-personal-use/ instead of a specific category.
Nor have I but I do buy by the gallon to use as bath oil and/or a body moisturizer. My dear husband just assumes if it's in the kitchen it is edible (which marakuja/marula oil actually is)

We are looking at doing a trip to the Southern Hemisphere next year and I don't want to make an error with products that can be confused with a consumabile use versus a cosmetic use. Is there a distinction between the two for declaration purposes?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:59 am

Snack sized ZipLock bags. and eBay . Sometimes called portion control. They are smaller than the average zippered baggie. I put a few very moist makeup wipes in the baggie. Takes up very little space. I use for the time I'm traveling, and replace when I get home. I also use sample/travel sized makeup products. Ebay has tons! Mascara, Eyeshadow Duo with a blush. Im not too picky on brand, it's the size that matters, but you can get use about any brand. I think they are probably broken up sets of promotions Gift With Purchase? I just like the small size. And I transfer somer of my Olay into a mini-pot.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Personally, I find Heathrow to be the most stringent of all the cities I've flown for adherence to the 311 and clear baggie. Even in the Virgin First security line (or whatever that is called). I'll pack as little shampoo and conditioner as I can get away with (my regular shampoo and condition are 4 ounce Nalgene bottles, and I dare not use those flying thru LHR), even if that means using crappy hotel shampoo between good washes. I'd rather use hotel or local shampoo rather than local makeup or hair styling. Bring pods of laundry soap and try to use a single oil that can be used as a moisturizer. And, bring cloths for eye and makeup removal, usually aren't considered liquids.YMMV.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Can anyone comment on 3-1-1 security at AMS and VIE. I fly out of AMS to VIE, spend the night, than VIE-LAX. I use a Flight 001 clear quart bag purchased in 2016. It's thick clear vinyl and shows zero degradation in 3 years, still looks like new. Is it going to be acceptable at AMS & VIE? I completely fill it, including mascara and concealer.

https://flight001.com/clear-carry-on-quart-bag/
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Can anyone comment on 3-1-1 security at AMS and VIE. I fly out of AMS to VIE, spend the night, than VIE-LAX. I use a Flight 001 clear quart bag purchased in 2016. It's thick clear vinyl and shows zero degradation in 3 years, still looks like new. Is it going to be acceptable at AMS & VIE? I completely fill it, including mascara and concealer.

https://flight001.com/clear-carry-on-quart-bag/
I have a very similar bag from Sephora and had no issues at AMS, TXL or FRA. I think you should be fine. I always have an empty quart freezer bag just in case, though.
Dianne47 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.