Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Fashion advice -Easter in DC

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.

I am packing for arrival in the capitol on Saturday afternoon. The weather looks relatively mild, 50s to mid 70s for the days that I will be there, and I am pretty good at packing lightly. My challenge this trip is that we were able to get tickets to the Easter church service at the National Cathedral Sunday morning. Here in the deep South we dress for Easter in our spring/summer finery which means linens, hats, etc. but Im not sure thats not going to be weather appropriate and wouldnt pack well, anyway. Im one of those people who likes to dress to sort of fit in when I travel.So my question is what should I wear? Maybe a lightweight suit (hard to pack and dressier than my usual weekend travel style)? A skirt and a blouse with an appropriate sweater? The big dilemma is really about shoes and legs. Tights seem very wintery but it also seems early in the season to go bare legged and Im not sure if thats done this time of year in that neck of the woods?If it helps, I am 50 something and my style is usually classic, neutral and unfussy.

Any tips, suggestions, guidance from those of you who are familiar with the mid-Atlantic/northeast?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Haven't attended services at National Cathedral but I personally would go barelegged in those temps. I almost never wear leg coverings with dresses/skirts - I run hot (I'm 45 but I've run hot for a long time now ;-) I think a knit dress or skirt/shirt/sweater would be easy to pack and appropriate to the situation. Light colors, not necessarily pastel but not black either (hard for me as my default travel wardrobe is black black and more black ;-)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you, most appreciated! I am in the same boat in that black is the center of my travel wardrobe!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

What do you think about sandals this time of year and with the weather? Too bare?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Eek, I'm in NC and I just wore sandals for the first time to work yesterday (it was 80 ;-) I am really weird about Easter/Memorial day fashion rules (I have no idea why - my mom isn't....) so it just seems weird to me right now. But I think I could wear a "heavier" sandal (vs a strappy sandal) if that makes sense? Because wearing light clothing with heavy shoes is also odd. I have some hybrids - open toe slingbacks, for instance - that I often press into service in April & May to bridge the seasons.....
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Hoyaheel. You have confirmed what I was thinking. I have a pair of go-to comfortable summer sandals but I think they are too bare/open. Will probably take nude slingbacks for a more transitional look.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.