Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do I travel with a wedding dress?

Old Jul 27, 18, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver

I will be taking

1) ERJ-190 to PHL (most likely terminal C or E)
2) then transferring to an international 767 in Terminal A
3) As an EXP - I believe I can check in 3 bags per person - so we could probably check 6 (or 5 - my spouse-to-be is AA Plat)

So -
1) do you think ERJ-190 would have a space where they can hang a wedding dress? AA twitter had no clue.
2) should I carry on? or check it? I do have a 62 minute connection in PHL
3) I am flying on Wednesday morning for a Saturday wedding.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Jul 27, 18, 4:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
I will be taking

3) As an EXP - I believe I can check in 3 bags per person - so we could probably check 6 (or 5 - my spouse-to-be is AA Plat)

So -
1) do you think ERJ-190 would have a space where they can hang a wedding dress? AA twitter had no clue.

Suggest sending the dress via FEDEX. I doubt that you will find space on an ERJ to hang a wedding dress.
Old Jul 27, 18, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
I will be taking

So -

Where you are heading... will there be first class pressing available? If so, I'd suggest not letting that gown out of your sight.
How about one large/extra long foldover, the structured kind, not the "it can flatten" type, that is only for the gown? Use tissue paper to stuff it in the bodice, and also throughout the body and skirt to the extent possible. Or bring it to your dry cleaner if you have a good one, and ask them to arrange it in the suitcase.
Now... this type of bag would need to be checked, so I just contradicted myself, obviously.

It's a trade-off. For something like that, I'd rather carry it, and have it pressed upon arrival, if that is possible.
But there are "gowns" and there are "gowns". Some need to be shipped in a wardrobe box. That would probably (!) arrive in good shape if packed properly, IF it arrived on time, which would be my main concern for this particular occasion. Shipping it extra early, so you can track it, and it can be re-routed on the off chance it takes the scenic route might be a good choice, too.

And... Best Wishes

GC
Old Jul 29, 18, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
I would either fly with it as a carry-on or ship it via FedEx (packed well). That said, my concern would be that you'd be asked to check the dress for your flight to PHL. Any chance of just leaving directly from PHL? I think I'd probably opt to ship it to someone at your destination, quite early, and make arrangements for them to have it pressed. Most bridal shops should be able to do to that, as should most cleaners.

If you don't know anyone at your destination, but are working with a wedding coordinator, they should be able to handle that.
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
Thank you everyone

We are traveling to San Juan on confirmed 1st class ticket for both legs of the trip.

IIRC from my past trips on RJ190, their overhead does accommodate a rollaboard right? That should be big enough to fit a wedding dress I think.
Old Aug 1, 18, 4:47 am

I flew with a wedding dress from US to Thailand, no problem. My seamstress packed it in a box for me. She was familiar with how to fold and pack it. It was my carry on. I flew to Bangkok and then on a smaller carrier. I took it out of the box and hung it when I arrived at my final destination. It didnt even need to be pressed.
obscure2k likes this.

Search this Thread