Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Favourite carry on and things to bring on board?

Old Jun 18, 18, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion

My favourite bag is a leather bottom green jansport. It's durable and has lasted 120+ flights over the last number of years. In it I usually pack a few essential clothes (in case my checked baggage gets lost), my laptop, a first edition of Animal Farm (I'm not really sure about this one, it's gone on every trip with me, maybe for luck?), tube of lanolin (this stuff works way better than lip chap), a small pack of baby wipes and tissues, a pen and notebook, wallet, cell phone, and raybans.

How about you? What to you bring?
Old Jun 18, 18, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-0...k-Shoulder-Bag

Amazon Amazon

These are my carry on bags, I do not check. The Lululemon bag is a great travel bag, holds a lot of stuff and has great pockets for passports,phones etc. Is crossbody and easy clean fabric.

I use the MEC to hold everything else. I can easily do long trips with this, it is very light weight and fits pretty much every carry on sizer. Can be a backpack or a messenger style bag. I use packing cubes inside for compression and organisation.

I bring a medical kit, wipes and hand sanitizer. A jersey pashmina that doubles as a blanket and a scarf, this is the most useful travel item I have.
Old Jun 18, 18, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
That bag is awesome, I kind of want to get one now haha!
Old Jun 18, 18, 1:34 pm

That is how my bag collection began.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:11 pm

The MEC reminds me of the Tom Bihn Aeronaut's layout except the opening faces inside.

My personal item is usually a Tom Bihn Synapse 19 & carry-on a Eagle Creek 22" 2 wheeler. Favorite things to use onboard - phablet to read ebooks or watch shows offline and favorite tea bags, even though I try to drink more water than caffeine during flights. Oh! And hand warmer packets! I usually feel cold when most Americans feel comfortable. I also started wearing compression socks on longer flights many years ago and they really help with reducing foot swelling. The luggage can vary but the phablet, tea, & cold precautions always make it in some kind of on-board gear.
Old Jun 21, 18, 10:23 am

I can't lift a regular carry-on up into the overhead bin anymore so I have a variety of lightweight bags to replace the wheeled kind. I have a Longchamp Le Pliage with the long handles and a few Vera Bradley quilted weekender bags and use whatever goes with my outfit best. No longer in the business world so my needs are different now. If the flight it long haul I have a cashmere pashmina because I freeze on planes, the not attractive DVT socks but also some fuzzy ones too. Currently, I'm obsessed with those Colgate Wisp disposable toothbrushes that don't require water. Even in business class where they give you amenity kits with toothpaste and toothbrushes, these Wisp things are handy to have. Besides the wipes to clean off the tray table, etc. I like to have some of the facial wipes as long as they don't leave an oily residue.
Old Jun 21, 18, 11:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Gold
Wisps

Originally Posted by Gringa View Post
I can't lift a regular carry-on up into the overhead bin anymore so I have a variety of lightweight bags to replace the wheeled kind. I have a Longchamp Le Pliage with the long handles and a few Vera Bradley quilted weekender bags and use whatever goes with my outfit best. No longer in the business world so my needs are different now. If the flight it long haul I have a cashmere pashmina because I freeze on planes, the not attractive DVT socks but also some fuzzy ones too. Currently, I'm obsessed with those Colgate Wisp disposable toothbrushes that don't require water. Even in business class where they give you amenity kits with toothpaste and toothbrushes, these Wisp things are handy to have. Besides the wipes to clean off the tray table, etc. I like to have some of the facial wipes as long as they don't leave an oily residue.

I love those wisp things as brushing my teeth several times a day while traveling makes me feel more human somehow!
Gringa likes this.
Old Jun 22, 18, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz View Post
I love those wisp things as brushing my teeth several times a day while traveling makes me feel more human somehow!
Clean teeth, freshly brushed hair and a little lipstick - all you need to tackle life's greatest challenges!
Gringa likes this.
Old Jun 23, 18, 4:18 am

Programs: qantas club
My favourite thing is my Caribee Skymaster 40 pack, which has travelled with me interstate and overseas for the past 5 years and is still in near-perfect condition. It has made the sizer at Charles de Gaulle and the ferocious Qantas and Jetstar carry-on weight limits and has been the only bag (apart from my handbag (purse)) I have needed for weeks of travel in a variety of climes.

Fully agree with the posters extolling Wisps and pashminas, they are both on my person when away from home. In addition I take half a dozen bisected Chux doused with water + a little 4711 cologne in a snack-size ziplock, rather than commercial wipes. I find they smell better, don't leave a residue and are more sturdy than wet wipes. The alcohol seems to make them better at cleaning spills on clothes, too.

Last edited by OzBarb; Jun 23, 18 at 4:22 am Reason: adding US translations
Old Jun 23, 18, 4:40 am

Those wisp things look great, we do not seem to have them in Canada, but I can order from Amazon. Great tip.
Old Jun 23, 18, 9:49 am

We don't have them yet in Mexico either but a friend coming down supplied me.
Old Jun 23, 18, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by OzBarb View Post
My favourite thing is my Caribee Skymaster 40 pack, which has travelled with me interstate and overseas for the past 5 years and is still in near-perfect condition. It has made the sizer at Charles de Gaulle and the ferocious Qantas and Jetstar carry-on weight limits and has been the only bag (apart from my handbag (purse)) I have needed for weeks of travel in a variety of climes.

Fully agree with the posters extolling Wisps and pashminas, they are both on my person when away from home. In addition I take half a dozen bisected Chux doused with water + a little 4711 cologne in a snack-size ziplock, rather than commercial wipes. I find they smell better, don't leave a residue and are more sturdy than wet wipes. The alcohol seems to make them better at cleaning spills on clothes, too.
Don't have Chux here but that's actually a good idea. I could improvise on that idea easily. The snack sized ziplocks would be perfect for it.
Old Jun 23, 18, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa View Post
Don't have Chux here but that's actually a good idea. I could improvise on that idea easily. The snack sized ziplocks would be perfect for it.
Chux is an old brand name for absorbent pads with waterproof backing. I am certain there is some equivalent in your home country - every doctor's office and hospital use such pads. In the US at least such pads are no longer sold under the Chux name, but the word became a generic term for disposable underpad, kind of like Kleenex for a paper tissue.
Old Jun 23, 18, 7:30 pm

Programs: qantas club
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Chux is an old brand name for absorbent pads with waterproof backing. I am certain there is some equivalent in your home country - every doctor's office and hospital use such pads. In the US at least such pads are no longer sold under the Chux name, but the word became a generic term for disposable underpad, kind of like Kleenex for a paper tissue.
Not so here in Oz. Chux are flat, absorbent sheets with a textured surface made from a substance looking like, but very much stronger than paper, sold in packs of 20-100 for wiping up spills. They are 30x60cm so I cut them in half to give 12" squares.
Old Jun 23, 18, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by OzBarb View Post
Not so here in Oz. Chux are flat, absorbent sheets with a textured surface made from a substance looking like, but very much stronger than paper, sold in packs of 20-100 for wiping up spills. They are 30x60cm so I cut them in half to give 12" squares.
The North American equivalent would be HandiWipes,
Amazon Amazon
. Here Chux is a commonly used term for a completely different product, and formerly was a trademarked brand.

Search this Thread