Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Can I do a month long trip with just a carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I do a month long trip with just a carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: qantas club
With neuromotor problems I can't stand around for half an hour waiting for bags, and with my choice of fabrics I don't have to wonder if stuff will dry overnight.

Washing a few items doesn't take me half an hour, I do it in my evening shower when I wash the day's grime off myself and it takes perhaps an extra five minutes. Wrapping the wet stuff in a towel and treading on it leaves it damp, then hang where there is a bit of air flow and it will dry in 3-5 hours. I have two blow up coat hangers and a folding skirt hanger in my kit, and my folding umbrella can be pressed into service as an airing rack in a pinch. Hairdriers are great for waistband elastic and bra underwiring, but I only needed to do this once, in a very humid pre-thunderstorm Boothbay.

I don't have any problem reusing a dress in private that has only been worn for a couple of hours in a sedate manner, but your tastes may be too exquisite for this expedient. Hotels with laundries in New York, Maine and Paris meant I could do a "proper wash" at about ten day intervals. Very large ziplock bags Kept any potentially smelly tops or pants away from my clean stuff the couple of times I needed to wait for a more suitable time or place (shower over bath is ideal for washing jackets, pants, dresses and skirts).
Old May 7, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by OzBarb
With neuromotor problems I can't stand around for half an hour waiting for bags
I have arthritis in my hips and spine, so I find a bench and sit down if it takes more than few minutes for the bag. Most airports do have benches, and the much acclaimed "30 minutes" for the bags is usually under 10, even in Philadelphia which is notoriously slow with bags.

Originally Posted by OzBarb
I don't have any problem reusing a dress in private that has only been worn for a couple of hours in a sedate manner, but your tastes may be too exquisite for this expedient.
My "tastes may be too exquisite" - I love it! Sounds right out of Jane Austen.

I generally think of myself as having a fondness for cleanliness. Shower before bed, bed clothing worn only to bed (as per my allergist's recommendations) and clean sheets. Improves the quality of my sleep.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:52 am

Just got back from a trip and packed with only a carry on. I agree with the poster above that said it really makes a difference what the fabric is because rolling really helped.I found that I actually took too much. I washed 2 times. I have a disability so decided to dump 3 items that I was going to donate anyway. Ordered the fast dry undies via amazon and they were probably the most comfortable I have ever worn. Safe travels.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Thank you everyone! Here's my 1/3 status report (my trip got a bit shorter).

0 laundry for now - but probably do one early next week.

Saturday!
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by samwise6222; May 12, 2018 at 4:08 am
Old May 12, 2018, 9:53 am

If you're on Facebook, check out Travel Fashion Girls. They're obsessed with carry-on only travel and have lots of info about capsule wardrobes and what to bring where.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I have done every trip I have ever taken with just carry on. Recently, that has included a month in China and Japan and last year, a month that included Hawaii, the eastern US, Paris for a week, where I needed dressy clothes, a safari in Africa and a week in London.

So absolutely doable. The key is quick drying lingerie (Ex Officio was awesome, especially in Africa, as it dries in no time) and separates that coordinate. I used a grey Merino wool long wrap sweater (like this but in grey http://www.backpacking-united.com/ca...p-cognac-black) that worked with any kind of outfit, dressy or casual, a super-packable shell raincoat, wore my heaviest shoes and packed the dressier ones and bought toiletries as I went.

Last edited by Finkface; May 12, 2018 at 10:06 am
Old May 12, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
You're doing great, OP! I am loving all of the ideas in this thread. Let's keep it rolling, so to speak . . .
samwise6222 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:13 pm

Fun tread, OP. Thanks for starting it!

I had a problem with checked suitcases going to continents I've never visited so I switched to carry on only. Most trips last 3 weeks.

I take cotton sports bras for comfort. 3 because they take awhile to dry.

Panties are all well used except one pair which I wear on the plane home. The rest are discarded during the trip. I take 4-5 total, washing as I go.

For tops, I love Liberty of London blouses from Tilley Endurables. Pretty, dry quickly, pima cotton, wrinkle resistant. I once ran into a gal wearing the same blouse and skirt outfit as me on a tram in New Orleans where it is bloody hot 10 months of the year. Fun encounter :-)

Loose silk leggings double as pajama bottoms and an underlay for pants if weather is cooler than anticipated. Silk dries very quickly. 2 old T shirts work for gym and nightwear. They are tossed before returning home.

I no longer travel for business so I take navy silk or rayon tank top, lace tunic top, and silk or rayon pants for evening wear. Lace and silk take very little room in a suitcase and all are hand washable. Silk for cool weather, rayon for warm.

For accessories, I take 1-2 nice natural fiber scarves that are pretty but I have grown tired of them. I leave them for the maid at the end of the trip.

Some hotels hate guests to hand wash clothes in bathroom sink so they don't provide a drain stopper. I keep my yellow kitchen plastic gloves for this purpose. I cut the largest piece I can from the palm grip area and take that, discarding at end of trip.

For odor elimination at home and when traveling, I love Ona Pro. It is an organic, biodegradable odor neutralizer made with turpines and essential oils. It's like Febreeze Microbial but far better.

For travel, I spray some liquid Ona on paper towels and put them in a baggie. When traveling, I put a half-towel in the suitcase with my clothes. Some of the oils are acidic so I don't put them directly on my clothes. If the hotel room is musty, I'll put out a half towel in the room if it's too cold to open the window. Clears the air quickly.

I buy it locally. I just found it on Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
samwise6222 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:49 am

Your packing light seems to be working out so far. Good job!
Old May 13, 2018, 8:50 am

Good job!

Originally Posted by samwise6222

Saturday!
Old May 13, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Looking Good!

Originally Posted by samwise6222

Saturday!
Looking Good
Old May 14, 2018, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by profnot
For accessories, I take 1-2 nice natural fiber scarves that are pretty but I have grown tired of them. I leave them for the maid at the end of the trip.
Recently I was talking to somebody who worked as a hotel housekeeper while in college and got her take on the "leave your junk 'for the maid' " notion. She trashed the idea completely. Her points were:
  1. unless you leave a note on the stuff clearly stating "this is for the maid" they're supposed to turn it in to the lost and found
  2. you shouldn't assume the maid wants stuff you're ready to throw out
  3. the maid may have no desire or use for what you leave behind
  4. giving used clothing directly to the maid suggests the guest was too cheap or too mean to tip and puts them in an embarrassing position
  5. she wasn't too keen on the term "maid"
Old May 15, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: qantas club
You look very cute and appropriately dressed for a variety of occasions. Congratulations.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Part 2!

Can't believe I am wrapping up this trip just with one carry-on.

This part of trip was a bit chillier.
OzBarb, Hoyaheel and ysolde like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Lovely! And well done, you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.