FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Can I do a month long trip with just a carry-on? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1907103-can-i-do-month-long-trip-just-carry.html)

Hoyaheel May 21, 2018 10:07 am

Fantastic job!! Would love your debrief when you're back home and caught up - what worked, what didn't, what would you do differently next time?

samwise6222 May 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 29777817)
Fantastic job!! Would love your debrief when you're back home and caught up - what worked, what didn't, what would you do differently next time?

I am back now!

Definitely pack more warm stuffs lol. My packing didn't include clothes to be worn in temperatures under 50F/10C, and three-week-out weather forecast failed me in London. It forecasted 70F+ temperature for the days I was there, but it ended up being 40s!

OzBarb May 26, 2018 1:02 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 29790482)
I am back now!

Definitely pack more warm stuffs lol. My packing didn't include clothes to be worn in temperatures under 50F/10C, and three-week-out weather forecast failed me in London. It forecasted 70F+ temperature for the days I was there, but it ended up being 40s!

I always include a fine merino cardigan, jumper (sweater) and a pashmina to cope with unexpected cold spells. Wear the cardi and pashmina until you are through checkin, then put them in your carry-on if weight is a consideration. Similarly for cold I still include a short or three-quarter-sleeve top, though fine merino is OK to about 30C (abt 85F). Also it only weighs a few ounces, doesn't get stinky and dries in a flash.

Very well done, you.

freecia May 29, 2018 8:57 pm

You might want to a take a look at Uniqlo's collarless down jackets. Here's the short one from Fall/Winter 2017 https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-u...own-collection They are pretty thin as it is meant to be a layering piece with snaps to make a v-neck so it fits as a no-show layer under some jackets. It may fit under your blazer and would work out for cold flights or seated near the emergency exit.

titaniumfemme Jun 2, 2018 6:30 pm

This was fantastic -- thank you for the daily pics of your outfits! You looked great, and appropriately dressed, which isn't always easy to accomplish.

MorkieMoose Jun 6, 2018 12:16 pm

Love your outfits, looks like you had a fantastic time on your trip!

samwise6222 Jun 11, 2018 9:27 am

Originally Posted by MorkieMoose (Post 29836534)
Love your outfits, looks like you had a fantastic time on your trip!

I surely did :)

Now one that I am having later this year is a bit more complicated:

Duration: 3 weeks
Max temp: 100+F
Min temp: 10-20F
Countries covering: Spain, Israel, Singapore, Australia, China, Korea, Japan

MorkieMoose Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 29853660)
I surely did :)

Now one that I am having later this year is a bit more complicated:

Duration: 3 weeks
Max temp: 100+F
Min temp: 10-20F
Countries covering: Spain, Israel, Singapore, Australia, China, Korea, Japan

Hey i did a trip that went from -15ºC to +35ºC, was also 3 weeks and I did it with just a carry on. I packed light long sleeves, jeans, leggings, dresses, tshirts, shorts, boots, sandals, a couple cardigans, a swimsuit and a jacket. It is definitely doable! I did hit up a consignment shop when I needed an extra thing or two.

samwise6222 Jun 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by MorkieMoose (Post 29854100)
Hey i did a trip that went from -15ºC to +35ºC, was also 3 weeks and I did it with just a carry on. I packed light long sleeves, jeans, leggings, dresses, tshirts, shorts, boots, sandals, a couple cardigans, a swimsuit and a jacket. It is definitely doable! I did hit up a consignment shop when I needed an extra thing or two.

I am trying to see if Uniqlo has any elite status for those who are going to be purchasing lots of heat tech tights :) (priority check-out line?, lounge access?)

freecia Jun 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 29854530)
I am trying to see if Uniqlo has any elite status for those who are going to be purchasing lots of heat tech tights :) (priority check-out line?, lounge access?)

Extra luggage allowance? ;) Gift of branded packing cube that doubles as a delicates washing net when you purchase $75 of heat tech or airism?

CDTraveler Jun 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 29854530)

I'd never heard of those tights before, so I googled them and found the webpage https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-h...ts-172205.html - for those who want them , the tights are currently $1.90 instead of $9.90. (but they have a whole lot of negative reviews for those like me who were merely curious what they were)

ysolde Jun 16, 2018 8:16 am

Uniqlo heat tech tights are either love them or hate them, it seems. I have purchased them and found them to be just OK -- they worked well enough under skinny jeans and trousers (both of which I wear with boots or booties in colder climes). However, TBH, I splurge on Wolford merino wool tights (especially when I am able to purchase several pairs in Austria or Germany, where they are less expensive, and get the VAT back on the way home). They are warmer, more comfortable, and have more "give". They also last for years. I do mean years. The negative is that the merino wool Wolfords are thicker than the heat techs, taking up more room in your suitcase. They also take longer to dry after hand washing.

PS -- If you go into Wolford, don't let them talk you into the much more expensive cashmere silk tights. Yes, they are softer, but they are not that much warmer and, frankly, even with careful sink hand washing only, they shrink. Grrrr.

OzBarb Jun 23, 2018 4:01 am

Fully agree with you on the utility of fine merino over cashmere. I can chuck my merinos into a washing machine (never the drier), spin them, hang on a padded hanger and they're dry by morning. Cashmere was hand wash in shampoo or woolmix, rinse in conditioner, blot the water, carefully reshape and dry flat over a couple of days.

I now throw a pair of light merino pants or tights in the mix if there is any chance of cold weather. They're fine by themselves down to about 5C, and can be layered under other pants if it going to be colder or there's a "lazy wind" (doesn't go round you, just cuts straight through).

stevenmb Jun 26, 2018 8:58 am

Yes you can!

I am nearly 2-1/2 months into a RTW trip with just an eBags weekender that weighs 15 pounds. I've already experienced all four seasons as I began in Mexico City, went to Australia and the South Pacific and then had two weeks of cold nights in southern Africa, where I left just before winter began. And now it's the beginning summer here in Europe.

Memo to all: you can do it!! And there are stores everywhere for those moments when you worry you can't live without X, Y or Z

tcl Jun 26, 2018 9:12 am

Fantastic job packing and love the photos of your outfits. I did a similar trips to your 2nd trip and my wardrobe was very similar to yours with a few exceptions. I brought 1 suit with matching trousers and matching skirt, and mostly tops instead of dresses. For cooler weather, I had an assortment of silk undershirts and shorts from Wintersilks in addition to tights that I would wear under my suit options plus a cashmere vest. I only had 1 LBD. For a jacket I had a mid length fitted trench with removable wool lining. For cooler weather it depends if your work will be mostly indoors in an office or conference room or traveling to and from client sites throughout the day. For the former I would recommend lighter layers for inside so you don't overheat and 1 thicker coat for outdoors.

Also hotel laundry varies depending on location. I've had dresses and knits ruined by inappropriate laundering so I tend to stay with cotton button downs that the hotel can easily launder or press for me.