FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Need help with shoes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1886222-need-help-shoes.html)

hinsopa Jan 4, 2018 4:57 am

Need help with shoes

I will be going to London in the spring and have plantar fasciitis, as well as hip dyplasia in both hips. I need a good walking shoe with no laces. (I had polio and have limited use of left arm). I have searched the forum and got some good ideas. Unfortunately, some of the shoes recommended are no longer available, like the Ahnu yoga shoes. I know the “good” brands but am really needing specific shoe recommendations that have worked for others.

CDTraveler Jan 4, 2018 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by hinsopa (Post 29248387)
I will be going to London in the spring and have plantar fasciitis, as well as hip dyplasia in both hips. I need a good walking shoe with no laces. (I had polio and have limited use of left arm). I have searched the forum and got some good ideas. Unfortunately, some of the shoes recommended are no longer available, like the Ahnu yoga shoes. I know the “good” brands but am really needing specific shoe recommendations that have worked for others.

I have an older version of https://sasshoes.com/women/women-foo...ens-viva-black that I wear with orthotics - plantar fasciitis related. Not the most attractive, but better than screaming pain from one's feet.

In warmer weather, I live in SAS sandals. I have 3 pair in different colors, https://sasshoes.com/women/women-foo...mens-duo-black and https://sasshoes.com/women/women-foo...he-antique-tan . They do have buckles, but I adjust the buckles when I first get the sandals and never bother with them again - there is some elastic in the sides of the straps that makes it easy to slip the sandals off and on.

If you can find the Ahnu Crissy in your size somewhere on the web, I recommend it, too.

Hoyaheel Jan 4, 2018 3:42 pm

I've had bouts of PF the past 2 summers and the only shoes I could wear were birkenstocks and one pair of very old Merrell sneakers. My 2nd bout didn't last as long as the first - I started my stretches earlier and did them more consistently I guess? In any event....Birks probably aren't the best recommendation for London in the spring (I have sandal versions - the Gizeh and...Madrid maybe?)

A slipon that is super comfy to me is the Ecco Aimee slip on sneaker. Not all Ecco shoes fit me well, but this does. I tried a similar slip on ecco sneaker in black nylon (the Fara) this year and it was too narrow/too high on the vamp for my wide-ish foot. The Ecco Biom also fits me nicely, but I don't think it's sturdy enough to be an all-day walking shoe. I like it for airplane travel though ;-)

Good luck finding the right shoe for your needs!!!

gretchendz Jan 4, 2018 9:21 pm

Footsart

Have you discovered/looked at Footsmart?
www.footsmart.com

Hoyaheel Jan 5, 2018 7:01 am

Ooh, good call on footsmart - also The Walking Company if you have one nearby! I've recently (~2 yrs) started having problems finding running/walking shoes that work for me (I can find hiking shoes, no problem, but I don't always want to use those when I'm on the treadmill). Stopped into a Walking Company when I was in Seattle in November and tried on everything they had in my size - came home with a pair of running shoes in their house brand (Abeo?) that are great!

Also, PF innersoles have helped a lot with some of my older shoes - where I could remove the innersole that came with the shoe or where the shoe is large enough to fit one (my biggest problem is I live in the southern part of the US and I wear sandals a LOT of the year, like, April through October? ;-) And back to the birkenstocks (or Taos, Ecco).

For me - since not all styles of a brand I like work for me, the only option is try try try. And then try again. And I live in a remote area, 60 miles from any decent shopping mall, I do a lot of online shopping & returns are just part of the deal for me....

FoPAA Jan 5, 2018 8:37 pm

Vionics shoes have helped me a lot with my PF - they have a really wide range of styles. They're also at Zappos, QVC and some department stores have a Vionics section. I live in Florida and thought my days of wearing flip-flops were done - then I found Vionics and now all my shoes are Vionics or I use their inserts in other brands. Haven't had a recurrence in going on 3 years.

Hoyaheel Jan 6, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by FoPAA (Post 29256195)
Vionics shoes have helped me a lot with my PF - they have a really wide range of styles. They're also at Zappos, QVC and some department stores have a Vionics section. I live in Florida and thought my days of wearing flip-flops were done - then I found Vionics and now all my shoes are Vionics or I use their inserts in other brands. Haven't had a recurrence in going on 3 years.

How do you find the quality of your vionics over time? (and what styles?) I have 2 pairs of vionics - leather ballet flats and some sneakers. The sneakers are ok but not great. The ballet flats are fabulous BUT after the first year they looked terrible!!! The leather has rubbed, starting to peel at the heel where the seam is etc. And they're not a cheap brand! I've tried on a few other styles but between the cost and the fact they're not always perfect on my feet AND my concerns over quality, I haven't bought any more despite others with PF recommending them.....

CDTraveler Jan 6, 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 29253190)
Ooh, good call on footsmart - also The Walking Company if you have one nearby! I've recently (~2 yrs) started having problems finding running/walking shoes that work for me (I can find hiking shoes, no problem, but I don't always want to use those when I'm on the treadmill). Stopped into a Walking Company when I was in Seattle in November and tried on everything they had in my size - came home with a pair of running shoes in their house brand (Abeo?) that are great!

Have you tried New Balance running shoes?

My kid just got new prescription orthotics and the orthotist who did them says he always recommends NB to clients with foot problems. I know they are the only shoes that really work for the kid who has atypical bones in his feet.

Hoyaheel Jan 6, 2018 9:20 am

Up until 2 years ago, NB was my shoe of choice! But now, none of the styles I've tried have worked on me :-( I also have 1 pair of old Saucony that work (that was another brand I used to be able to use) but again, no current styles I've tried have fit. I've never been able to wear Nike or Asics - they trend too narrow for me.

ShopAround Jan 10, 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 29250223)
In warmer weather, I live in SAS sandals.

I love SAS shoes and also live in their Duo sandals all summer long. I have small but very wide feet and they are the rare brand that makes double-wide shoes that fit me perfectly. I've tried a few different SAS styles - none have laces - and find them all to be very comfortable.

FoPAA Jan 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 29257668)
How do you find the quality of your vionics over time? (and what styles?) I have 2 pairs of vionics - leather ballet flats and some sneakers. The sneakers are ok but not great. The ballet flats are fabulous BUT after the first year they looked terrible!!! The leather has rubbed, starting to peel at the heel where the seam is etc. And they're not a cheap brand! I've tried on a few other styles but between the cost and the fact they're not always perfect on my feet AND my concerns over quality, I haven't bought any more despite others with PF recommending them.....

I've found my Vionics hold up pretty well, especially since I nearly always wear them without socks (I live in Florida). I only expect the flip-flops to last a couple of years, since I pretty much wear them constantly. I haven't had a problem with my loafers, ballet or dress shoes but they get a lot less wear.

Tizzette Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Many would scoff at Crocs, but the Busy Day slip on looks like a normal shoe and nothing beats Croc's cushioning for PF. For leather street shoes, I would suggest ordering a few styles by Cobb Hill from Zappos or Amazon Prime where the rejects can be returned for free. They come Narrow, Medium and Wide so you can get a good fit. New Balance makes Cobb Hill so the cushion and arch support is really good for a leather street shoe for city wear. For sporty, Jambu is a good brand similar to Ahnu. I have had PF and it comes back if I don't wear a good cushioned heel and these brands work for me. If you could wear a lace up, my first choice for all day walking is Mephisto Laser.

gretchendz Jan 11, 2018 7:32 pm

I agree

Originally Posted by Tizzette (Post 29275768)
Many would scoff at Crocs, but the Busy Day slip on looks like a normal shoe and nothing beats Croc's cushioning for PF. For leather street shoes, I would suggest ordering a few styles by Cobb Hill from Zappos or Amazon Prime where the rejects can be returned for free. They come Narrow, Medium and Wide so you can get a good fit. New Balance makes Cobb Hill so the cushion and arch support is really good for a leather street shoe for city wear. For sporty, Jambu is a good brand similar to Ahnu. I have had PF and it comes back if I don't wear a good cushioned heel and these brands work for me. If you could wear a lace up, my first choice for all day walking is Mephisto Laser.

I agree about Crocs. The footbed is amazing. There are some styles that are not too "croc-y". I have some great sandals and flats that people have admired and then are shocked to hear they are Crocs. I have fallen in love with these sandals as they have the kind of heel that helps relive plantar fasciitis.

Women?s A-leigh 2-strap Mini Wedge | Women?s Wedges | Crocs Official Site

hinsopa Jan 12, 2018 2:30 pm

My house is beginning to look like a shoe store, ha. Thanks so much for your input. I have a question. I really like the feel of the Klogs and like that they are waterproof, too. However, my size 6 is a bit too long. Sometimes, they are advertised as unisex and other times listed under women’s. Have any of you determined if when ordering you get one or the other? Is the unisex 6 longer?

gretchendz Jan 14, 2018 7:29 am

Yes

Originally Posted by hinsopa (Post 29285488)
My house is beginning to look like a shoe store, ha. Thanks so much for your input. I have a question. I really like the feel of the Klogs and like that they are waterproof, too. However, my size 6 is a bit too long. Sometimes, they are advertised as unisex and other times listed under women’s. Have any of you determined if when ordering you get one or the other? Is the unisex 6 longer?

Ha! I have a shoe room (not quite, but close!)

I assume you are asking about Crocs. right? I do find they can run a bit large, so I order down size and it usually works. I try to read the reviews (I do this on all brands) and get a sense if I should order up or down (I'm a half size normally). I once got these mens/unisex and they worked out quite well. The trick is figuring out the size of course.

Crocs? Men's Santa Cruz | Men's Loafer | Crocs Shoes Official Site

Their size charts are here:
Crocs ? Customer Service ? Frequently Asked Questions

Hope this helps!