Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Question from a female travel journalist

Old Nov 30, 17, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Hi female FlyerTalk community

I'm a journalist and I'm curious: do you feel like the frequent flier online subculture is male dominated? I haven't spent much time on Flyer Talk, but judging as an outsider, many of the most prominent/widely-followed influencers in this space seem to be men. Curious if that's my perception or the reality. Obviously it's encouraging there is a forum devoted to women in this space, but I'd love to hear what the women in it think about this topic.

And just to be clear: I won't use any responses to this thread in any journalistic capacity without asking for expressed permission first. Right now I'm just asking for background/to get a general sense of this culture. Seems like a good place to ask .
Old Nov 30, 17, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by rojospinks View Post

I'm a journalist and I'm curious: do you feel like the frequent flier online subculture is male dominated? I haven't spent much time on Flyer Talk, but judging as an outsider, many of the most prominent/widely-followed influencers in this space seem to be men. Curious if that's my perception or the reality. Obviously it's encouraging there is a forum devoted to women in this space, but I'd love to hear what the women in it think about this topic.

And just to be clear: I won't use any responses to this thread in any journalistic capacity without asking for expressed permission first. Right now I'm just asking for background/to get a general sense of this culture. Seems like a good place to ask .
On FT unless one chooses to self disclose their gender, it isn't safe to assume. I have no idea what the actual ratio is, but for all I know, 90% of the people behind their screen names could be female. One of the most prolific, and most strident, posters is female based on her past comments.
Old Nov 30, 17, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Hi there, thanks so much for your helpful reply. Care to share who that prolific and strident poster is?
Old Nov 30, 17, 1:21 pm

Hi there, thanks so much for your helpful reply. Care to share who that prolific and strident poster is?
Care to reconsider that question?

I suggest you read the rules of this community before posting again.
Old Nov 30, 17, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Agree with CDTraveler, it cannot be assumed who on FT is male or female since usernames are (mostly) gender-neutral. Many times I have been surprised on finding out, after years of seeing an FTer’s posts, the gender of that person. For what it’s worth, I have been on this site for more than 14 years and have never felt discriminated against or disrespected here. There are certainly people (clearly men) here who have somewhat retrograde attitudes toward women, but those are mostly displayed in Omni and Omni/PR threads/forums that I don’t frequent, and are not at all the norm in the travel-related forums.
trooper and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Dec 1, 17, 1:44 am

I've only been here "five minutes", however it does feel male-dominated. I'm going by the language used, the levels of... er... aggression, and pissing contests.
Old Dec 1, 17, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Sorry, just to be clear: wasn't asking for their actual identity! Just their username so I could read their public posts you referenced. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

Search this Thread