Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do you pack a hair dryer or not?

Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler

So, I stopped packing one years ago in one of my periodic fits of travel minimalism. However, lately after a couple of failed hotel hair dryers, waiting for them to bring another, making me late for a meeting, etc. I think I am going to start packing one again. Also, read a recent report that hotel hair dryers are one of the germiest things in the room...

Do you pack one or not? If so, what do you like? I have been looking at the Baby Buttercup, but they are so pricey--and look heavy. Thoughts?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Nope, haven't packed in years. Don't wanna start now....
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: BA GfL
Very rarely, although I feel your pain about hotel hair dryers. I usually despise them, but I despise heavy luggage more. I am, in fact, carrying a hair dryer with me on the trip I’m on right now, though—in one of the locations where I’m staying, I didn’t know whether there would be one or not, and I wanted nice hair for that part of the trip too That said, this trip didn’t require my camera or anything beyond casual clothes, so I’m able to fit the hair dryer in my rollaboard with no problem.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Rarely, as mine is large (similar to the type that salons use, although salons get better results!). I'm lucky that I haven't run into a failed dryer at hotel. Internationally I have run into having to use them in the actual bedroom part of the room vs. the bathroom; something to do w/ voltage in the bathroom not handling much beyond a men's electric razor or something. I do take it w/ me when I visit friends, as not all my friends have dryers in the guest bedroom/bath.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA
Not as often as I used to, but I keep a great little compact hair dryer that is switchable from 120 to 240 voltage for trips, domestic or international, when I think I will need one.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I have three small travel blow dryers: one for the UK, one for the US and one for Europe. They don't take up much space or weight and I don't bother when traveling in the summer - my hair is naturally fine and straight and I only dry it during times of the year when it's too cold out to go outside with damp hair.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
No, but I travel with a straightener. I also shower before bed, so if there's no hair dryer, I don't run the risk of showing up somewhere with wet hair.
lovechunks likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:28 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I have hair that can be unruly, and low-wattage hairdryers often found in hotels just don't cut it. Years ago I invested in the 220v versions of both my every day hair dryer and flat iron. Totally worth it for me.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:49 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I have a dual voltage Babyliss mini hair dryer that I bring when I absolutely need one. However I mainly use this for drying rather than actual styling. I have thick absorbent hair that just loves to hold on to moisture and smells so drying is more of a concern than actual styling.

My recent stays at IHG, Residence Inns and Courtyards have been OK for decent working hairdryers. Every now and again, in older properties, there are some wimpy dryers.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I no longer take a hair dryer with me. I let my hair air dry and then use a flat iron (which I do take with me) to straighten it.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Babybliss

Originally Posted by tcl
I have a dual voltage Babyliss mini hair dryer that I bring when I absolutely need one. However I mainly use this for drying rather than actual styling. I have thick absorbent hair that just loves to hold on to moisture and smells so drying is more of a concern than actual styling.

My recent stays at IHG, Residence Inns and Courtyards have been OK for decent working hairdryers. Every now and again, in older properties, there are some wimpy dryers.
Thanks for mentioning--this looks like an interesting choice as it looks really small.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:49 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Thanks for mentioning--this looks like an interesting choice as it looks really small.
It's got a decent amount of velocity for its size but it is really tiny so if you have long thick hair you may want something one size up. I usually only dry my hair 50-70% otherwise it would take too long and my arms and neck gets tired.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Even before hairdryers became de rigueur in hotel rooms I never bothered to travel with one. Nobody knows me on hols so I don't care if my hair is not as perfect as it is at home.
lovechunks likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA
I feel the same about travelling on vacation/holidays but not so much when travelling for work. If I'm in a hotel room without a hair dryer, I don't mind combing my hair wet and putting it in a pony tail and using a little hairspray or gel to try to keep it smooth. Depending on the climate where I am, sometimes that looks fine all day and sometimes it looks wild by the end of the day.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I am truly blessed with manageable hair so I've never packed a hairdryer. I've never owned a straightener, either. I try to wash mine the night before traveling (even with a frequent travel schedule) and do not wash hair while I'm on the go. My hair is long and good for styling up in ponytails, buns, braids, et cetera so the longer it goes without a wash - the easier it is to style in that way. Some dry shampoo and I'm good to go. If I'm gone more than 5 days at a time, I will wash my hair in the evening on a night in a let it air dry - and my hair straight naturally so I brush it a bit when it's close to dry and it looks like it's been flat ironed.

If I had to pack a hair dryer, I would get a miniature one that automatically switches voltages. I've tried hotel hair dryers before out of necessity and they are hit or miss. But yeah, I avoid washing my hair altogether when traveling whenever possible.

Alternatively, since I do travel often, I get my hair done while traveling and make someone else do it for me. So. Yeah. Solves that entire problem of crappy hair dryers and gives me a break from the madness.
lovechunks likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.