FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   The pop of color or the practical -- need handbag advice (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1867771-pop-color-practical-need-handbag-advice.html)

ysolde Sep 19, 2017 9:48 am

The pop of color or the practical -- need handbag advice

I am beginning the process of editing for the one-month trip to Europe. We leave in early October, and will be there the entire month. My wardrobe will be rather simple: black, white, and gray with colorful (fall colors) silk scarves. My one dress is black with touches of red. I am bringing a day to day crossbody bag that is a sort of taupe, so cool toned. I need to pack an evening bag, which I think will just be a simple black clutch. The airplane carry-on is a black (or gray, tbd) Longchamp.

So here is my question: For the big handbag on the plane, the one I will also carry on trains, and possibly some days when I need to carry more than my cross body can hold, I have two options: 1. A practical gray tote. Holds a lot. Is very light. Long handles. Attractive enough, but far from my most attractive bag. But oh so comfy. 2. A gorgeous red bag. Large enough to hold everything, but just. Much heavier. Short handles (meant to be a ladylike handbag, though it has a detachable shoulder strap). During the trip, I would be more likely to turn to it and use it when we are going out to dinner, drinks, etc., because it is so gorgeous. Would obviate the need for the black clutch, I think. Most of the time, either handbag would hang from the handle of my wheelchair, or sit on my lap.

Is it worth it to take handbag 2 because I would get more use out of it during the trip, whereas handbag 1 I would only use on travel days?

Now that I write it out, I am leaning toward handbag 2. I think. What say you?

tcl Sep 19, 2017 9:54 am

How much does the daily carry of the additional weight bother you? If it doesn't then bring the nicer one. If you find yourself hating yourself when carrying the heavier one then bring the lighter more practical one.

ysolde Sep 19, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by tcl (Post 28834199)
How much does the daily carry of the additional weight bother you? If it doesn't then bring the nicer one. If you find yourself hating yourself when carrying the heavier one then bring the lighter more practical one.

I just don't know. I have been using my tote a lot lately. I'm going to have to switch to to the "nicer" bag for a few days to figure it out, I think.

Hoyaheel Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde (Post 28834215)
I'm going to have to switch to to the "nicer" bag for a few days to figure it out, I think.

I have a LOT of problems traveling with heavy leather bags, which I finally admitted to myself and don't travel with them (maybe for a weekend, but not for anything where I expect to be walking miles and miles per day while carrying the bag).

The red bag sounds gorgeous and I would lean that way - but only if you test it ahead of time and make sure it is comfortable. Otherwise, about 1 week into that month long trip, you'll be shopping. Which might not be the end of the world, but.....

I LOVE red as an accent with a mostly black, grey & white wardrobe. Or this fall, maybe burgundy or plum, but since you already have red that you love....

CDTraveler Sep 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde (Post 28834178)
Most of the time, either handbag would hang from the handle of my wheelchair, or sit on my lap.

Is it worth it to take handbag 2 because I would get more use out of it during the trip, whereas handbag 1 I would only use on travel days?

Now that I write it out, I am leaning toward handbag 2. I think. What say you?

Which bag is easier to hold securely? I'd be concerned about a quick snatch if the bag is seen to be sitting on your lap or dangling from a handle without anything securing it. If there's a shoulder strap, is it comfortable for you to have that crossbody while the bag is in your lap?

ysolde Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 28835440)
Which bag is easier to hold securely? I'd be concerned about a quick snatch if the bag is seen to be sitting on your lap or dangling from a handle without anything securing it. If there's a shoulder strap, is it comfortable for you to have that crossbody while the bag is in your lap?

Handbag 1 is a bit easier to hold securely, because it is a tote and more malleable when I hold it with straps over my shoulder and bag on my lap. Handbag 2 is more structured, and sits in the crook of my arm or in my hand while on my lap. However, the straps on handbag 2 are a much thicker rolled leather, so much more difficult to cut off (if a thief were working that angle -- Do they actually do that, or is that an urban legend? In all my years of travel, I have never seen the thief cutting off a handbag strap and running off with it.). They are both leather (one a soft, malleable leather, the second a heavier, more structured leather). Neither bears any sort of visible markings of any designer.

CDTraveler Sep 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde (Post 28835996)
However, the straps on handbag 2 are a much thicker rolled leather, so much more difficult to cut off (if a thief were working that angle -- Do they actually do that, or is that an urban legend? In all my years of travel, I have never seen the thief cutting off a handbag strap and running off with it.). They are both leather (one a soft, malleable leather, the second a heavier, more structured leather). Neither bears any sort of visible markings of any designer.

Not entirely an urban legend.

Years ago in Hong Kong I had a thick leather shoulder bag firmly pinned between my arm and side while shopping and it was sliced open and my wallet taken. Even scarier was the short slice in my jacket...

The joke was on them, tho. I was a freshman in high school and my wallet contained a library card, a student ID card, a radio fan club card and HK $7. ;)

ysolde Sep 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 28836603)

Years ago in Hong Kong I had a thick leather shoulder bag firmly pinned between my arm and side while shopping and it was sliced open and my wallet taken. Even scarier was the short slice in my jacket...

The joke was on them, tho. I was a freshman in high school and my wallet contained a library card, a student ID card, a radio fan club card and HK $7. ;)

Yikes! Thank goodness you were wearing that jacket!

Analise Sep 20, 2017 8:40 am

I'm hesitant to use a clutch bag especially when traveling because it can easily be grabbed.

Can you bring both the red bag you love for the dressier events and the taupe cross body? Do you have to choose one or the other?

tcl Sep 22, 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 28836603)

Slicing of the bag would actually make me very sad.

I used to put a thin guitar string in the leather shoulder strap of my handbags and wristlet straps but that did not help with the slicing of the bag itself.

missydarlin Sep 22, 2017 11:58 am

Just take the red one. It will make you happier :)

Shiv01 Sep 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I love my handbags but I have to say I tend to stick to lightweight bags for travel, rather than leather ones. Anyway, if you're travelling in Europe for a month, you may well decide to buy a bag...or two... If you want to take an evening bag, I would suggest you take something with a wrist strap that you can also use as a wallet.

abriella059 Sep 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by tcl (Post 28834199)

I agree with you

lovechunks Sep 28, 2017 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by tcl (Post 28846546)
Slicing of the bag would actually make me very sad.

I used to put a thin guitar string in the leather shoulder strap of my handbags and wristlet straps but that did not help with the slicing of the bag itself.

what a great idea.

lovechunks Jan 20, 2018 9:46 pm

I have dealt with this myself over the past months. Finally bought a black lightweight coach tote that is mostly nylon with a leather bottom and handles. For a "pop" of color, I add a 12" square scarf--found a bundle in SF Chinatown!