Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Sports bra setting off metal detectors and 3D scanner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

i do a decent amount of long haul traveling (10-14hr flights, 20-30hr total travel time). I never had problems in the airport with underwire bras but recently decided to try flying wearing my very comfortable Walmart sports bra. I've done this 2 or 3 times now and every time the metal detector goes off, they send me for the 3D scan and that goes off too and I see on the screen a little blip appears in the region of my chest (or the little drawing of a persons chest). I've had the sports bra for a long time, worn it washed it many times so I can see there's no metal on it, no stickers or anything left from purchase etc.

has anyone else ever encountered something like this or can think why? I have another trip next week and would like to wear a sports bra, I could go buy a new one but without knowing why it's happening I wouldn't want to spend money on a new one for it to happen again. It's not a big deal I just think it's quite strange (and annoying).
Marilyn Jackson likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:42 pm

I have noticed the 3d scanners will show a blip if there is an area of thick clothing folded over or jeans which are too long and fold over at the bottom, rather annoying .
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
There might be a thin anti-theft strip sewn in the lining of the under strap. @:-)
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:08 pm

I have a pair of Target yoga pants and one part of the waistband sets off the 3D body scanner (I've never been through a metal detector since I got them) every single time. There isn't anything sewn into the band. It just is a thing that I know that will happen. I budget time for it.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I wear Target C9 athletic bras for travel. They never set off any metal detectors. I never go through scanners so don't know if they would alert there.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:29 pm

There could be some metal threads in the elastic or in the material itself.

It could also be the scanner, not your bra.......the screeners at that location at that time might have set it to be more sensitive. Sometimes my underwire bra will set off the scanner, sometimes the same bra won't.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I wear Target C9 athletic bras for travel. They never set off any metal detectors. I never go through scanners so don't know if they would alert there.
How do you not go through scanners?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Precheck! Also when I'm traveling with children they won't send me (or them) through it.

My daughter had an MRI this week and she was wearing a Puma shirt (made of yoga pant-like material) and it set off their metal detector they used to make sure she didn't have any metal on/in her. They told me a lot of athleisure wear has metal in it, including lululemon. So it makes sense that a sports bra might be made of the same material.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Precheck.

Or if you don't have precheck, you can tell the TSA agent you want to opt-out. Of course that means getting a manual check.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Yes, pre-check or telling the TSA officer you cannot raise your arms above your head. I refuse to stand like a person being put under arrest, being zapped by who-knows-what beams/radiation/???. Then I get the pat-down, but I prefer that to standing in surrender like a criminal.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:38 am

Going with this thread of setting off the scanner, could someone give advice for this:

June, 2017 I was randomly selected to go through the scanner. As an 82 year old and pre-check, I bypass the scanner. However, this time I was selected. Walked through the scanner and lighted up the doughboy all over my body, which was more pat down than I could manage. Asked for my bag to be brought to me and said I would prefer not fly that day. Supervisor and several other screeners circled; police to be called (I was told their would pat down even more intrusive, possible arrest), if I refused TSA pat down. Apparently, there is no option, which was a shocking surprise. So, here is the question: What was it about me that lighted the screen so extensively? No metal other than titanium dental implant...elastic waistband, no metal hooks or wire in bra, no jewelry. Cotton mesh swing top with cotton tank underneath. Was it something about my clothing? My posture? Do not want this to be repeated. Could anyone please advise so I can plan ahead?

P. S. Does anyone think it is bizarre that so many women dress to protect themselves from a Federal Agency?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:34 am

Hello, Annie,

I see that you've been trying to find a way to guarantee that you'll not get a pat-down, and I don't think that there's really any foolproof formula.

Note that the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum is intended for discussion of security policies, and while I'm not sure that you'll find a solution there, you'll definitely find strong opinions.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:18 pm

Thanks, Katje.

Guess I will never know what made my body look like an arsenal. You are kind to redirect me to another site. Thank you for your reply.
Old May 30, 2022, 10:57 am

Thank you for posting this and for the discussion. That happened to me on each of my round trip flights this past weekend. I thought it might have been the sports bra and this confirms it. I'll look for a seamless one for future use. Again, this is so helpful!!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
M<y experience

Originally Posted by Laguna Annie
Going with this thread of setting off the scanner, could someone give advice for this:

June, 2017 I was randomly selected to go through the scanner. As an 82 year old and pre-check, I bypass the scanner. However, this time I was selected. Walked through the scanner and lighted up the doughboy all over my body, which was more pat down than I could manage. Asked for my bag to be brought to me and said I would prefer not fly that day. Supervisor and several other screeners circled; police to be called (I was told their would pat down even more intrusive, possible arrest), if I refused TSA pat down. Apparently, there is no option, which was a shocking surprise. So, here is the question: What was it about me that lighted the screen so extensively? No metal other than titanium dental implant...elastic waistband, no metal hooks or wire in bra, no jewelry. Cotton mesh swing top with cotton tank underneath. Was it something about my clothing? My posture? Do not want this to be repeated. Could anyone please advise so I can plan ahead?

P. S. Does anyone think it is bizarre that so many women dress to protect themselves from a Federal Agency?
So as an older woman with two knee replacements, even though I am precheck, I always ASK for the scanner, because the knees always set off the xray. The scanner recognizes them for what they are and doesn't go off due to them.

I almost always end up with a patdown for one of these reasons:

1) If there is any motion or bunching of clothing (I like to wear skirts) it will often set off the scanner. This could be the issue with for the OP.
2) The small of my back always sets it off. No one can explain why. I chalk it up to arthritis! Who knows?

Honestly, the patdowns don't bother me in the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.