Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Travel Essentials.Things inside your bag.

Old May 24, 17, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Aside from your travel documents and money what is your travel essentials when traveling outside the country?
Old May 24, 17, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by WilmaBarnes View Post
Aside from your travel documents and money what is your travel essentials when traveling outside the country?
You might try doing a search on this question. There are already quite a few threads on exactly that.
Old May 24, 17, 7:50 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I always take a large scarf or pashmina. It doubles as a pillow or light blanket, covers my shoulders or knees when visiting churches and can cover my head and shoulders in a light rain.
I never leave without melatonin to help me adapt to local time and a foot care kit (moleskin, etc). Before I depart I download audio guides to my iPhone (Rick Steves, etc) and books to my kindle.
Old May 27, 17, 11:18 pm

OTC items like allergy pills I know that work well so I don't have to track down an equivalent in a foreign pharmacy (although I always shop in those to try out different things that look interesting. )
Old May 31, 17, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by WilmaBarnes View Post
No different than traveling inside the country.

There may be some places and some types of vacations where I'll take specific things for specific needs.

"....when traveling outside the country" is kind of vague - are you going to Canada or the Cook Islands? To an modern international city like London, or to a small village in Mongolia?
Old May 31, 17, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Yes, not much difference between domestic and international travel needs except for things like plug adapters. If I am going to someplace quite remote/less-developed I will generally bring a few more "just-in-case" medications for things like colds/diarrhea/UTI, but otherwise I pretty much travel with the same stuff everywhere I go.
craftedescapes likes this.
Old Nov 25, 17, 11:17 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, True Blue, Southwest, IHG
I have a few Fisher Space Pens, specifically the Stowaway model which is the perfect wallet pen. I get the version with the clip which prevents it from rolling off the tray table. This pen is extremely slim, small and lightweight and I always have one in the change pocket of my wallet, one in my seat-bag. Sometimes I have one in the organizing panel of my carry-on. Being so small and thin, this pen is not particularly comfortable in the hand but it is 100% dependable. The only complaint about this pen is that it's not good for anything where you need to push hard when writing as the refill is only held in by a tiny rubber stopper at the end of the barrel. The Fisher Space Backpacker Pen has a screw on back but is much larger.
Old Nov 26, 17, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by tcl View Post
I have a few Fisher Space Pens, specifically the Stowaway model which is the perfect wallet pen. I get the version with the clip which prevents it from rolling off the tray table. This pen is extremely slim, small and lightweight and I always have one in the change pocket of my wallet, one in my seat-bag. Sometimes I have one in the organizing panel of my carry-on. Being so small and thin, this pen is not particularly comfortable in the hand but it is 100% dependable. The only complaint about this pen is that it's not good for anything where you need to push hard when writing as the refill is only held in by a tiny rubber stopper at the end of the barrel. The Fisher Space Backpacker Pen has a screw on back but is much larger.
$10 for a ballpoint pen?

I find free hotel pens work just as well, and if they get lost, no big deal.
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:47 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
$10 for a ballpoint pen?

I find free hotel pens work just as well, and if they get lost, no big deal.

I find that hotel pens pens work great as long as they're being used on a regular basis. This little pen sits around until needed, doesn't leak and never fails to write unless it's out of ink.
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by tcl View Post
I find that hotel pens pens work great as long as they're being used on a regular basis. This little pen sits around until needed, doesn't leak and never fails to write unless it's out of ink.
Don't look in my desk! The age of many of my pens is scary.

I fished out a pen yesterday from a hotel I last stayed at 12 years ago. It worked fine.
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:11 pm
tcl

Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Don't look in my desk! The age of many of my pens is scary.

I fished out a pen yesterday from a hotel I last stayed at 12 years ago. It worked fine.

If I only had such luck with pens.

Search this Thread