Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunscreen, anyone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I never saw a " use by" date on sunscreen , is there any ?..
Most of mine have it. Sometimes (if it's a tube) it's on the crimped part and hard to read.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I am currently a very happy user of the Biore Watery Essence sunscreen that I picked up on a recent trip to Tokyo. (I ended up buying 3 tubes: I'm afraid I should have gotten more.) It is lightweight with a very lovely texture, doesn't make me greasy, doesn't make me dry, and seems to work very, very well. On one day of the trip I went to Kamakura, and ended up on a beach. I wasn't really expecting to be out in the sun, so did not put anything on my arms or legs, which ended up being quite the mistake as I got a burn and rash from the sun. But my face and neck are as pale as ever!

It's not a mineral sunscreen, which I've in general preferred due to some previous sensitivity (I use some fairly strong acids and retinols at night), but I have had no problems with the Biore.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
I am currently a very happy user of the Biore Watery Essence sunscreen that I picked up on a recent trip to Tokyo. (I ended up buying 3 tubes: I'm afraid I should have gotten more.) It is lightweight with a very lovely texture, doesn't make me greasy, doesn't make me dry, and seems to work very, very well. On one day of the trip I went to Kamakura, and ended up on a beach. I wasn't really expecting to be out in the sun, so did not put anything on my arms or legs, which ended up being quite the mistake as I got a burn and rash from the sun. But my face and neck are as pale as ever!

It's not a mineral sunscreen, which I've in general preferred due to some previous sensitivity (I use some fairly strong acids and retinols at night), but I have had no problems with the Biore.
How is the Biore around the eyes? Any stinging?

Always see their UV products in the supermarket but never really thought to try.

Last edited by DragonSoul; May 30, 2019 at 12:13 am
Old May 30, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I haven't noticed any issues, but don't take it close to my eyes, nor have I been sweaty enough (thankfully!) for it to run. I'm rather lackadaisical when it comes to such things these days...

Biore sunscreen gets high marks on various beauty blogs, so it was on my shopping list for Japan. I should have bought the body sunscreen, too.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:40 pm

The Perfect Spray looks interesting. It looks like it can be used over makeup.

Think I might check out the Aqua Rich Watery Essence and the Athlizm UV Protect Essence. On Kao's website it mentions the latter is good for hot and humid climates (" Hot and humid conditions of 40°C and 75% humidity" - although Hong Kong is more humid than that).

One of those brands I didn't look at because it's all in Chinese, so thanks for introducing it to me.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:40 pm

My HG face sunscreen is Kiss My Face Face Factor 30. I’ve been using it for 2-3 years. It has a nice texture and even with using 1/4 tsp, it never feels greasy. Of course, your mileage may very.

My husband and I recently checked out the Sun Bus. It’s a program in Colorado, and shows up at different events. (I can’t post URL’s at the moment) It offers free skin cancer screenings, samples, a camera that shoes any sun damage on your face, and a camera that shows how well your sunscreen covers. Very cool!

Their main sponsor is EltaMD. We received samples of their sunscreens and recently purchased their face sunscreen (for him), and their body sunscreen. So far we’ve been really happy with their products. A previous poster mentioned they were drying. So far we haven’t had this issue. Their products contain hyaluronic acid (not sure if this is new or not) and theoretical shouldn’t be drying. We’ll see how it goes!

Currently for body we’re also using Sun Bum. I purchased this before we saw the Sun Bus. I’ve been really happy with their products. The lotion is thinner than most sunscreens, but a little thicker than EltaMD. Husband prefers EltaMD.

I’ve not been a big fan of spray sunscreens. I always use a good amount and rub them in well, but I just don’t feel like the coverage is there. I’ve noticed that I get more sun when I use them. We’ve used the Equate spray and the Trader Joe’s spray. Both have been rated highly by Consumer Reports over the last few years. Again, YMMV!

I’m looking at the Color Science powder. I think it’ll be a great addition for our travels this summer. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:48 pm

EltaMD is next on my list to try.

The Biore spray I'm going to try on my hair, possible practise with it over make-up to see whether it's a viable option. I know there are a few Japanese sunscreen sprays you can use over make-up (to touch up the SPF during the day).
whitewave likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have some eltamd from my derm. Meh - haven't loved what I've tried, mostly too thick. Lip balm/spf is ok (but again - thick, needs to warm up to spread). I'm on my 2nd summer/tube of Paula's Choice for my face - almost unheard of for me to buy something a second time when it comes to health & beauty stuff!

I think Supergoop! has a mineral/over makeup spray too - I get their emails (normally I get a big pump of the basic sunscreen for my husband each year- we've been finishing up random bottles so I haven't ordered it this year). Might be easier to find in US/cheaper than a Japanese option? I've liked all their stuff I've tried (and I always get travel size when I order something because it can be difficult to find good stuff in travel sizes....)
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:30 pm

I should have bought the body sunscreen, too.
It is lightweight with a very lovely texture, doesn't make me greasy, doesn't make me dry, and seems to work very, very well.
I agree - doesn't smell very strong (a little alcohol smell), works pretty well and nongreasy. Biore AQUA Rich Watery line can be used on body too, if you don't mind using the bottle up faster

on the same "AQUA Rich" line, been switching between the "Watery Essence" (it's more watery) and "Watery Gel" (gel-like), not sure which one I prefer yet

bought like 5 different types of Biore from Donki to try (4x AQUA Rich Watery Essence and Gel, one each of Kids Milk, Athlizm, Oil control base)

Always see their UV products in the supermarket but never really thought to try.
there are different lines of Biore UV.

some are meant for face, some for both face & body
some with whitening effect, some to prevent tan ("Perfect Milk")

https://wonect.life/which-biore-suns...ould-i-choose/

they also have a kids line, which is even more scentless
https://danlovesskincare.com/bior-sm...free-kids-milk

the ones above are somewhat waterresistant/proof. Biore also have more extreme versions (severely hot/humid, extra-waterproof). got one, haven't tried it yet

https://www.kao.com/global/en/news/2018/20181219-002/

https://www.kao.co.jp/bioreuv/itemcheck/index.html

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 6, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:25 am

I think the one thing that would really help is if I could read Chinese or Japanese. This is why I've never really bothered with them before.

I have to remember to try the spray over make-up. Interesting that the Athlizm has to be removed with cleanser - it must be some tough stuff.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am still using the Super Goop Unseen Sunscreen on face. The Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream around my eyes (no stinging!). And the Shiseido Sun Protection Lip Treatment as a lip balm under lipstick.

One of my favorite finds lately is Dr. Perricone's No-Lipstick Lipstick. It's a cross between a lip balm and a lipstick in texture, and the color is a sort of neutral pink. It also (apropos of this thread) has an SPF of 15. Not great, by any means, but it's something. And the rosy pink color is incredibly flattering, in a your lips but better way. This one is always in my handbag.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Shisedo

Originally Posted by ysolde
I am still using the Super Goop Unseen Sunscreen on face. The Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream around my eyes (no stinging!). And the Shiseido Sun Protection Lip Treatment as a lip balm under lipstick.

One of my favorite finds lately is Dr. Perricone's No-Lipstick Lipstick. It's a cross between a lip balm and a lipstick in texture, and the color is a sort of neutral pink. It also (apropos of this thread) has an SPF of 15. Not great, by any means, but it's something. And the rosy pink color is incredibly flattering, in a your lips but better way. This one is always in my handbag.
Thanks to this thread, I tried the Shiseido --no more stinging! Thank you all! Now I will try the Perricone's as I really hate lipstick. As always, this forum costs me money
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:23 pm

Will definitely try the Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream.

The Biore spray went very nicely over my make-up, although I didn't spray a lot. No stinging eyes.

Also looking at the Anessa line by Shiseido, but it seems to be easily more than double the price of Biore.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:51 am

Will definitely try the Shiseido Sun Protection Eye Cream.
Shiseido has been my go to for years. I use the Urban Protection SPF 42 for face every day. Since I wear glasses it's important to me to have a sunscreen that won't make my glasses slip (or irritate my eyes). I have tried others, but keep on coming back to what works. The Sun Protection Eye Cream is fantastic as well but I need more coverage than the eye area, with no potential for slippage. The little white bottle of SPF42 is TSA compliant and will easily last me for a season.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:09 am

Tried the Biore Athlizm UV Protect. I like the consistency. However, developed a zit on my face, and on bare arms, neck (i.e. no make-up there) it "rubbed off".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.