Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunscreen, anyone

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Another pale skin redhead with many bad sunburns in past

I use baby sun lotions, only ones that don’t cause eyes to sting. New sunblocks are great, wish these were available when I was a child
bit even these better sunblocks won’t help a pale skinned blue eyed redhead who’s trying to get tan like her friends or just on the beach all day. My skin tells me I belong in non sunny Ireland!

Had mohs surgery for a basal carcinoma on leg, stitches come out Thursday

Last edited by jerseygirl; Jul 17, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Another pale skin redhead with many bad sunburns in past

I use baby sun lotions, only ones that don’t cause eyes to sting. New sunblocks are great, wish these were available when I was a child
bit even these better sunblocks won’t help a pale skinned blue eyed redhead who’s trying to get tan like her friends or just on the beach all day. My skin tells me I belong in non sunny Ireland!

Had mohs surgery for a basal carcinoma on leg, stitches come out Thursday

Hugs, jerseygirl! And, while I am blonde (with the help of my hairdresser) these days, I am a natural auburn-haired, pale (and freckle) faced gal with hazel eyes. Totally remember lying in the sun, in my teens, wearing a bikini and Bain de Soleil (for the St. Tropez tan, of course), in the misguided belief that the tan would come after the burn. How many days did I come home from the beach, red as a lobster, my shoulders covered in blisters, waking up in the middle of the night to vomit from sun poisoning, only to do it all over a week later, hoping against hope to "strengthen" my skin into a tan? I was a fool, and I am paying for it now.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:36 am

Bain de Soliel - teenage me thought it was so glamorous !! French!!

I alternated between the totally ineffective but glamorous Bain De Soleil and being covered up by beach towels, hats and Dads white t shirts

Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Having come back from a cruise a little less than a week ago, I can report a few things:

1. The SuperGoop Unseen Sunscreen (SPF 40), applied liberally under make-up (and allowed to set before make-up application), works well. Make sure to top up with a powder sunscreen every hour or so (or more often, when out shopping or otherwise exposed to strong sunlight). My favorite is the Colorscience. Note that I wear a different sunscreen specifically formulated for eyes (Shiseido eyes). I usually just wore a sunscreen balm (I really like Supergoop's). On days I wanted to wear lipstick, I topped it with Supergoop's SPF gloss, which has this magical quality of sealing the whole thing in. It does give the look a bit of a retro, 70s feel though, so keep that in mind.

2. Neutrogena's Dry-Touch Sunscreen (I went with the SPF 70, although I believe it goes up to SPF 100 in this formulation) is great for body, and, as advertised, feels dry to the touch. Make sure to apply to all exposed areas, including feet. Caveat: this does stain clothes, so apply before getting dressed or while in a bathrobe. I brought it in my purse with me in order to reapply during the day. Yes, this means my sleeves got some stains.

3. I am loving Lily Pulitzer's SPF (?) line of dresses. I bought one that is short (because I am 4'11" tall, it is longer on me) and has 3/4 sleeves. I love the comfort of wearing a dress, the cut of the dress, and the pattern and colors (shades of blue on mine, though there are lots of vibrant colors available for those who can pull those off). Most of all, it really does protect my skin from the sun's rays, while feeling cool in the heat, and not allowing me to freeze in a/c indoor venues.

4. A tightly weaved, wide-brimmed straw hat is a wonderful (and, for me, essential) piece to have when out and about in the sun.

5. I am a vampire. I have to protect my eyes from the sun, or I develop a migraine. Dark sunglasses help. A lot.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by polar1718
But haven't found anything to wear right around the eye that does not sting..
Shiseido's Urban Environment oil free UV Protector. I wear glasses so stinging (and sliding) is a big concern. I wear the Shiseido every day and have a bottle in my desk, in my handbag, etc. It does not bother my eyes a bit and goes on matte. I have been wearing it for years and it continues to do the job. Plus the bottle (small but expensive) is 3-1-1 compliant and a little goes a long way. One small bottle can last me for a year (granted it only gets used on my face.

Last edited by rsqrott; Jul 19, 2018 at 1:58 pm Reason: 3-1-1 not 411. sigh
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Anyone have experience with Supergoop mineral - Invincible Setting Powder spf 45? It's on sale at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (I don't have a card so I can't access until tomorrow) I have never worn mineral foundation or SPF, wondering if I'd like it or not?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Stinging

I just want something that does not end up leaking into my eyes and stinging them!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gretchendz
I just want something that does not end up leaking into my eyes and stinging them!
Your best bet in this category is to go with a product specifically designed for the eye area. My go-to is Shiseido's Sun Protection Eye Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 34. No running, no stinging, lasts all day.

If you are looking for something in the mineral category, try Drunk Elephant Umbra Daily Defense Sheer Physical Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30. A great everyday sunscreen for face that does not sting, run, or burn around eyes. Because it is physical, it means you need to pat it in (no rubbing), and must wait for it to set (or you will have a mess all over your face).
gretchendz and DragonSoul like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz
I have sensitive skin, which is also very sun sensitive. For sun care, my favorite brands are Sisley, Avène, and Natura Bissé. All do not run into the eyes in my experience. Sisley has a roll on SPF “stick” that is specifically designed for the eye area and other sensitive areas.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:18 pm

On my face, I usually use I use the Laneige BB cushion and it has built in SPF 50+ PA+++

It's really good for no flash backs in my opinion
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I tried the Belei from Amazon - didn't love (it's a little too heavy with a white-ish cast for face makeup in my opinion) I will use for gardening days instead of work, and have ordered more of the Paula's choice I used last year - youth extending SPF50 light....
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:59 am

I'll ask...

Originally Posted by jessica.jjyy
On my face, I usually use I use the Laneige BB cushion and it has built in SPF 50+ PA+++

It's really good for no flash backs in my opinion

What's a "flash backs" ????
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:22 am

Flashback refers to the bright light reflection from flash photography that can occur when someone wears makeup or sunscreen with titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide. The effect is like someone shining a flashlight in the photographer's direction. Instead of seeing luminous skin, you see a distracting flash of light. The effect varies depending on just how much TD or ZO is in the product. Apparently it varies with product quality as well. Lisa Eldridge, hallowed be her name, has a video on her favorite foundations. She names some that have sunscreen that nevertheless don't create flashback.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:21 pm

I never saw a " use by" date on sunscreen , is there any ?

And I often use baby sunscreen so when I sweat and the sunscreen comes off my forehead it does not hurt my eyes as much.....
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I never saw a " use by" date on sunscreen , is there any ?

And I often use baby sunscreen so when I sweat and the sunscreen comes off my forehead it does not hurt my eyes as much.....
Generally, if in the US (FDA), it should be good for three years. If there's no date on it, write the date you purchased it and toss it within the three years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.