Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunscreen, anyone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:22 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I have been using Shiseido Anessa Sunscreen spf 50, either in the silver bottle or the gold bottle. The silver is supposed to be water resistant while still being moisturizing while the gold bottle is supposed to be very waterproof. A good cleaning oil is needed to get either of these off. I use the Shiseido Pureness cleansing oil which seems to do an OK job with the help of a washcloth. I use Olay Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin (spf 15) as a base for both unless I am planning water activities

I tried using something similar in the Neutrogena line as my travel pattern has changed and Anessa has become harder to obtain. I realized that I am highly allergic to whatever is in Neutrogena sunscreen in the vicinity of my upper torso, neck and face. Legs and arms seem to be ok with it however.

For daily, not-so-sweaty, office use, I add a pump of body lotion to my body sunscreen to help it glide on better.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:36 am

Hawaii has just banned sale and distribution of sunscreens with oxybenzone and/or octinoxate as harmful to marine life

wonder if this ban will proliferate?? I’ll look at ingredients in products I use
i usually use sunscreens made for babies and children, the higher SPF number the better for me
Old May 6, 2018, 7:17 pm

I’ve switched over to mineral sunscreens, they seem to work better for my skin-and I’m extremely happy with their reef safe element and overall cleaner ingredients. One Love Organics vitamin B oil cleanser gets it all off. For face, Cotz is great. For body, Beautycounter or Juice Beauty. If you warm them up by rubbing in your hands before applying, the white ghoasty problem is less! Also, I’m loving the MyChelle Sunsheild Liquid Tint. It is a great tinted face sunscreen.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Hawaii has just banned sale and distribution of sunscreens with oxybenzone and/or octinoxate as harmful to marine life

wonder if this ban will proliferate?? I’ll look at ingredients in products I use
i usually use sunscreens made for babies and children, the higher SPF number the better for me
I expect the ban will spread to other places with endangered reefs. One article mentioned that Australia is watching how it goes in Hawaii with the ban.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
How are some of these when it comes to staining clothes? I've found some great sunscreens but at the expense of clothing.
I've been using the Drunk Elephant fairly regularly now, and can report no staining on clothes. This includes good silk scarves (fancy French brand we've all heard of), thin Italian cashmere sweaters that are my mainstay this time of year, and St. John Knits blazers.

Bear in mind that I give all sunscreens about ten minutes to set. One of the criticisms the Drunk Elephant (and other) mineral sunscreens unfairly receive is that they don't absorb into the skin. It's a mineral sunscreen. It does not absorb into the skin. It sits on the skin, looking whitish for a few seconds (really), then becomes clear. After about ten minutes, it sets, and looks and feels matte on the skin. There may be a few, small streaks (if you used too much at first). These easily blend in. You have to give mineral sunscreens time to set.

I still like the SuperGoop Unseen Sunscreen MUCH more when I am going for a "prettier" look -- if I am going out to lunch or an early dinner, or anywhere where I am going to be photograped. It just blurs out those pores like nothing else. But for everyday, the DE is a great choice.
Old May 12, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Good point about time to set! I still don't love mineral (and use SuperGoop daily - I use mineral more on vacation) But my routine is shower/teeth/sunscreen/dry hair/makeup/dress- by the time I'm putting clothing on, the sunscreen has had 15-20 minutes to set, at least.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't wear sunscreen unless I am on the beach / in the sun - partly because I have yet to find sunscreens that agree with me. I am very allergic to some metals, so cannot wear anything that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (including all the foundations / moisturizers / mineral make up with an spf), I can only use chemical sunscreens. Of those, many of them are greasy and make my sensitive skin break out. SuperGoop sounds interesting, but don't think it is available in Canada (unless someone knows otherwise? Amazon says it won't ship here). Does anyone have any suggestions for a non greasy face sunscreen, that doesn't contain zinc or titanium?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Looks like the Supergoop website won't ship to Canada but there are places in Canada who sell it. Not sure where you are - I just looked in Toronto and it sells at anthropologie.

This summer I've been trying another SPF for my face - Paula's Choice (I am using the Resist Youth extending hydrating, SPF 50) I don't see any metals on the ingredients list (but am not an expert at deciphering cosmetics ingredient lists!) I find it light and not at all greasy. There are other formulations of SPF in the line as well, if you don't need the heavy anti-aging that I want ;-)

I still use supergoop on my arms & shoulders & all over on the weekends when I'm out gardening....
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:42 pm

@emma69 - Is it definitely whatever is making them greasy or could fatty alcohols break you out? The thinner SPF's which you need to shake tend to have alcohol and/or silicone may be OK if it doesn't aggravate your sensitivities. Neutrogena sells one https://www.neutrogena.com/sun/sun-a...otions#start=1 https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAdd...nsitivity_why/ I think La Roche Posay also makes a few thinner chemical SPF's for the face including one which is oil-free https://www.laroche-posay.us/antheli...oduct_overview aka "Dry Touch"

Don't forget about the good old wide brimmed hat. Buy a few and leave one in the car or office. Sun shirts/rash guards with higher UPF come in more shirt-like designs these days, too. I got mine from Lands End.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
@emma69 - Is it definitely whatever is making them greasy or could fatty alcohols break you out? The thinner SPF's which you need to shake tend to have alcohol and/or silicone may be OK if it doesn't aggravate your sensitivities. Neutrogena sells one https://www.neutrogena.com/sun/sun-a...otions#start=1 https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAdd...nsitivity_why/ I think La Roche Posay also makes a few thinner chemical SPF's for the face including one which is oil-free https://www.laroche-posay.us/antheli...oduct_overview aka "Dry Touch"

Don't forget about the good old wide brimmed hat. Buy a few and leave one in the car or office. Sun shirts/rash guards with higher UPF come in more shirt-like designs these days, too. I got mine from Lands End.
I'm not sure what makes my skin break out, always thought it was oil related, but no scientific basis for that - when I use them, I get little spots / sores around my nose mainly. I use a very similar Neutrogena one at the moment, it is called 'Water-Light' on the bottle, spf 60. It is the best I have tried so far, but still get some little spots from it. I will see if I can find the Roche Posay one and give that a go, thanks!

I do use rash vests when out at the beach etc. and usually wear hats too. My body is fine with cheap chemical sunscreen (think Coppertone) just my face that is fussy!
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: CX, BA
I do a lot of outdoor sports and have been using Shiseido on my face for many years. Have used the Shiseido "Perfect UV Protector SPF 50+ PA++++" and "UV Sunscreen SPF50+ PA++++", both water resistant. Non greasy and light, and has kept my skin in very good condition, even in the harshest of conditions! I used it when hiking up Mt. Kilimanjaro, where I was exposed to the sun for most of the day and the UV can be especially harsh as it is close to the equator. My face didn't darken at all, while some of my hiking companions had tan lines from their sunglasses despite applying sunscreen.

I don't have a specific product that I use on my body. I cover up with clothing to prevent tan lines, and when I'm at the pool or beach I'm usually there to get a tan Though I will always cover my face with a towel when I'm lying in the sun.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by emma69
I'm not sure what makes my skin break out, always thought it was oil related, but no scientific basis for that - when I use them, I get little spots / sores around my nose mainly. I use a very similar Neutrogena one at the moment, it is called 'Water-Light' on the bottle, spf 60. It is the best I have tried so far, but still get some little spots from it. I will see if I can find the Roche Posay one and give that a go, thanks!

I do use rash vests when out at the beach etc. and usually wear hats too. My body is fine with cheap chemical sunscreen (think Coppertone) just my face that is fussy!
They sell La Roche Posay pretty much everywhere in Canada now. Try Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs or other drugstores. The Anthelios products are excellent.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:42 am

I mostly use Avene sun products, they are excellent. I find protection to be equal to La Roche Posay’s, but the texture and scent of Avene is better for my sensitive skin.

I also have always used Sisley sun care products. They have discontinued my long time favorite suncreen, but it’s still a fantastic line of sun care.

For after sun cream, Dr. Hauschka is my favorite. They used to have excellent mineral sunscreen, but it has sadly been discontinued.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:19 pm

Thank you so much for this thread! Red hair, pale skin, getting on in age. Just had a first basal cell carcinoma removed from very close to the inner eye. A few bad sunburns when a teenager, but decades later I use Neutrogena 110 all the time with sunglasses and hat. But haven't found anything to wear right around the eye that does not sting. Lots of great suggestions here. I love my serums as well - Paula's Choice Vitamin C, etc. But gets confusing in morning to put on sunscreen, serums, moisturizer, foundation. Am trying Paula's choice combo moisturizer/sunscreens, but prefer heavier Neutrogena when out in bright sun. Will definitely get some of the Amlactin and try that on legs/arms - I have the dreaded age spots all over them. I have used Retin-A in the past to encourage cell turnover on the face (not to mention the other benefits!) but feel my skin is "too thin" for it now. The small basal cell bump near my eye was a reality check I have to be even more diligent.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by polar1718
Thank you so much for this thread! Red hair, pale skin, getting on in age. Just had a first basal cell carcinoma removed from very close to the inner eye. A few bad sunburns when a teenager, but decades later I use Neutrogena 110 all the time with sunglasses and hat. But haven't found anything to wear right around the eye that does not sting. Lots of great suggestions here. I love my serums as well - Paula's Choice Vitamin C, etc. But gets confusing in morning to put on sunscreen, serums, moisturizer, foundation. Am trying Paula's choice combo moisturizer/sunscreens, but prefer heavier Neutrogena when out in bright sun. Will definitely get some of the Amlactin and try that on legs/arms - I have the dreaded age spots all over them. I have used Retin-A in the past to encourage cell turnover on the face (not to mention the other benefits!) but feel my skin is "too thin" for it now. The small basal cell bump near my eye was a reality check I have to be even more diligent.
If you can get Lac Hydrin (rather than Amlactin), try that instead. I find Amlactin to be really gluey. And Lac Hydrin works better, at least in my opinion. If you can’t find Lac Hydrin (I was told it has been discontinued but I can still find stock in some stores), I find the CVS store brand of Amlactin-equivalent better than the original. And a lot cheaper too. Just make sure you get the 12% lactic acid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.