Wiki Posts
Search

Solid Bar Face Soap

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
Solid Bar Face Soap

In my (seemingly) never ending quest to reduce the amount of liquids I need to carry on a trip, I'm looking for a good solid bar facial soap. Ideally, it would meet the following criteria:

1. Removes makeup, including eyeliner and mascara;
2. Appropriate for combination to dry skin;
3. Can be cut into smaller pieces for travel.

I've tried Neutrogena, and it's not bad, but it does dry my skin out a bit.

Your input much appreciated!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
The brand that instantly springs to mind is Erno Laszlo. You probably don't want the iconic black soap (that's for oilier skin; I used it in my 20s and still use it occasionally when I feel particularly grody); there are other formulas meant for different skin types which, while not as cool looking, might be more effective (the tan colored one is for dry/combo skin, I think.) Even the travel sized bar lasts forever, so don't be initially scared by the price.

The other is Drunk Elephant. I've never used their bar soap, but it's gotten good reviews in the beauty blog world, and the rest of the brand's products are very good. I wanted to hate their vitamin C serum, so I could just be cheap and use the Ordinaries, but I really, really like it, which means I'll eventually give the rest of the line a try.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I hate bar soap. Just me. Also seem to not have washcloths when I travel - so I use facial wipes for travel. I buy whatever looks good when I need it. Right now I have a 4pack of Simple from Costco. I don't wear mascara so I don't have special needs....

[I might have mentioned before my addiction to wipes for travel - if it comes in a wipe form, I'll buy it! ]
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:14 am

Some MakeupAlley suggestions;

Avene Cold Cream soap-free bar

Drunk Elephant
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:56 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I saw
recently and thought it was ingenious, particularly if you travel to places where you can't trust that restrooms will have soap available (and, like me, hate anti-bacterial stuff.)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Some MakeupAlley suggestions;

Avene Cold Cream soap-free bar

Drunk Elephant
I use the Avene bar and really like it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:23 pm

Sorry, hit post too soon! Another option is DHC - they have a few bar soaps. They tend to be olive oil based, and olive oil makes me break out, but I think people like them.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:55 am

I like all the Avene products I've tried but haven't tried that soap. I have used the DHC soaps too, in the past (I had a ton of samples from them at one point - why?) but it's been too long for me to recall my reaction (other than I don't like bar soaps on my face)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
What about a good-old-fashioned Dove bar? It cleans well, doesn't dry your skin, and it's cheap.
Tizzette likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by titaniumfemme
In my (seemingly) never ending quest to reduce the amount of liquids I need to carry on a trip, I'm looking for a good solid bar facial soap. Ideally, it would meet the following criteria:

1. Removes makeup, including eyeliner and mascara;
2. Appropriate for combination to dry skin;
3. Can be cut into smaller pieces for travel.

I've tried Neutrogena, and it's not bad, but it does dry my skin out a bit.

Your input much appreciated!
I've never found a soap that takes off mascara, but there are make-up removing wipes that will - maybe try those for the eye make-up?

As for bar soap, I couldn't even use Neutrogena as a teenager because it is so drying. The one bar soap I still use on my face is the Clinique Mild Soap. It comes in mini-bars with a case for travel, which makes it quite convenient.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:59 am

Clinique makes really good bar face soap for different skin types. I used it for years. They also used to make travel sized bars but I don't know if they still do. I wouldn't use any bar soap to remove mascara.

Edited to say sorry to CDTraveler. I didn't see your post before I replied.

Last edited by Gringa; Apr 1, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:39 pm

If you wear a tubing mascara, you just need warm water to remove it.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You might want to try the bar from this line

http://www.swellskin.net/

I don't think it's really soap, but it does remove everything, and I swear it has changed the texture of my skin and evened out the tone. It contains Sea Buckthorn.

It looks like a bar of soap but it doesn't melt like one. I've been using it for a month and it really hasn't gotten much smaller.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:26 pm

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
I prefer non-lathering facial cleansers and use Cetaphil in its lotion formula. It’s gentle and non-drying to my skin and removes my eye makeup well.

Cetaphil also is available in a bar form that is advertised as being gentle and moisturizing, but I've not tried the bar, so I don't know how well it removes eye makeup.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:21 am

I have rosacea and very sensitive skin. I can't use makeup wipes now. First Aid Beauty makes a bar soap. Sephora has it. I don't think I'd use any bar soap to remove eye makeup, though. Sometimes they have a travel size available in combination with another of their products.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.