Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Solid Bar Face Soap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by Babaduck
I've been travelling with a mini pot of Emma Hardie cleansing balm in my carryon bag - OUTSIDE the 1 litre liquids bag - and so far, not a single airport in Europe has pulled it. When it's empty, I'll decant the Clinique Take the Day Off balm into it. Incidentally, I've accidentally travelled with 6 lipsticks, a liquid liner and mascara in my case rather than in the liquids bag, and it all sailed through!!!
Thank you, Babaduck. My 3-1-1 bag is usually very, very full (I like skincare!), so being able to migrate my Clinique balm will be very helpful!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:46 pm

Awesome suggestions here. I really want to find some of that Drunken Elephant stuff to check out in person.

I use the little face wipes that you can buy anywhere. They work, but aren't as good as what I use at home by any means. Maybe I should try one of these soaps. Not Clinique though, my skin hates their products.

I'll give them all a look and see what is best for really dry skin.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:57 am

Clinique and Aveeno have great bar soap products.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Make sure you research the side effects, too. Doxycycline can do some pretty nasty things. A few folks I know have had major dental issues from it.
Off topic, but having also previously been on this medication for a lengthy period of time, among other antibiotics, I agree with the above poster. Doxycycline also causes terrible photosensitivity, which leads to sunburn after even moderate sun exposure if one is not careful.

Re bar cleansers, they are on the expensive side, but Sisley is fantastic. They have a bar for combination/oily skin, and another solid cleanser for normal/dry skin that comes in a covered plastic tray and is used with a brush. Those are the only "bar" cleansers that I have ever liked using and had good results with.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
How about a basis bar?

I have been using Basis bar "soap" for years. Super mild, no scent, and if you need it small, instead of cutting down a 4 oz bar, you can buy it in 1 oz bars.

I don't wear makeup, but I use basis to shave my face every day in the shower (I got tired of trying to pack shaving cream or an electric for month long trips - this does an excellent job). If I can scrape it into my (sensitive skin) face everyday with a razor, it will probably work for you.
FWIW - my wife uses it to take makeup off and to wash her face every night.

Note that I am talking about the original white Basis bar, not the transparent/gold "vitamin" bar.

Here is a link to the 1 oz bars (not recommending you buy here, only using it as a link). https://www.amazon.com/Basis-Travel-.../dp/B0041R1EG2
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:06 am

There are also powdered cleansers but I have yet to find one that works well on eye makeup without irritating my eyes.

OP I tried the Urban Decay Meltdown and the stuff feels great...but it irritates my eyes like crazy. So it's not an option for me. I tend to carry sample packets of face wash in my 3-1-1 (since they take up next to no space). For actual makeup removal I use a trick that I picked up here. I have travel a jar of cotton rounds that I pour eye makeup remover over. It soaks into the rounds, leaving me with a dispensable and disposable way of getting every last bit of eyeliner off without irritating my eyes. I have carried this separate from the 3-1-1 bag without incident.

I do love the idea of a solid to liquid cleanser ala the Urban Decay product. Estee Lauder has also come out with something similar but I have yet to see it in person.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I also get around the liquids issue by using wipes - usually from Boots but I picked up some Bioderma wipes the last time I was in Paris and really like them.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:40 am

I can't believe that I missed the paper soaps. How clever. I am a big fan of soap infused cloths in case of emergency and keep one in a ziploc in my bag.

Originally Posted by MissJ
Awesome suggestions here. I really want to find some of that Drunken Elephant stuff to check out in person.
If you have a Sephora near you they will give you samples of pretty much anything. I know that they carry the Drunken Elephant line.

And speaking of, since I have now become fascinated by the whole balm as cleanser thing I went into Sephora yesterday to check some of them out. The two that appeal the most to me are Boscia's version and the Clinique take the day off balm. The Clinique tub is huge! I have found Boscia's products to be very effective as well as gentle on my skin. The balms look like they could be easily decanted into a smaller container and would in no way be mistaken for a liquid.

OP I know that none of this really answers your original question but I'm so thankful that you started the thread. My wallet won't be, however.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by rsqrott
OP I know that none of this really answers your original question but I'm so thankful that you started the thread. My wallet won't be, however.
I feel that way on FT quite often!
Old May 12, 2017, 6:40 pm

As with many of the new clever skincare, look to Asia. Su:m37, Miracle Rose Cleansing Stick gets a lot of good reviews
https://sokoglam.com/products/su-m37...leansing-stick

Reddit SkincareAddiction and AsianBeauty subreddits also threaten my wallet. I recently discovered "The Ordinary" skincare line which is quite affordably priced. They don't really add many fillers, mostly just "actives", and the bottle sizes are around 1 oz. The small bottle size is actually a bonus for me since I have a better chance of using it up before stuff goes bad (or attention span gets sidetracked). Probably of interest here is the waterless L-Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C suspension which means it is more shelf stable and travel friendly. It is a little gritty, though, so Drunk Elephant or some of the others might feel nicer when applying. They also offer a decent Marula oil at such a low price point that I basically decanted some into a travel size eye dropper bottle and use it all over (hotel lotion never cuts it)
Here's some video reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-X...query=ordinary
Old May 15, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Seconding Freecia's recommendation of The Ordinary!

My favorite is the HA + B5 serum, which I've rebought quite a few times already. It's part of my travel beauty regime-- I cannot promise you will get 'carded' on an international flight, but you will be hydrated. The Advanced Retinol 2% is nice (better than the more traditional 1% formulation.) Sadly, I didn't like the Vitamin C products-- as Freecia said, a bit gritty and I just didn't like the overall formulation or feel. I will continue to pay Drunk Elephant or Skinceuticals prices, alas.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:30 am

Does anyone think there should be make-up removal products offered by the airlines?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by David Randles
Does anyone think there should be make-up removal products offered by the airlines?
Some offer makeup remover in first or business amenity kits. https://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/bes...-in-the-skies/

Cleansers are less expensive and used more quickly than other skincare like facial cream or serum. I imagine this is why amenity kits come in nice "keepsake" pouches and stocked with items which can't be finished on a TA/TP flight.

Facial cleansers and skincare are very specific to skin type, makeup used, and ingredient allergies. I have little issues with any type of toothpaste or hand lotion (other than some simply not working very well or not preferred smell) but would definitely think twice about using an unknown/untested brand's cleanser with lav water to wash my face and eye area. I might chance micellar water or luxury makeup wipe if I also had access to a good facial moisturizer.

Basically, if someone brings the gear to put makeup on while traveling, she/he usually brings the necessary products to remove it, even if they have to check the larger sizes due to 311 regulations. The exception might be in countries where hotels provide skincare amenities, ie Japan. Even then, I usually bring a bit of my own tried & true skincare.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
If you want to limit the bottles in your zip lock bag, and limit plastic bottles in landfills, try the products from Ethique Beauty. https://ethiquebeauty.com
I've bought some of their products and they work well! They also have some Sampler Packs where you can get small travel size versions and try several different products - just add water.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:38 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I've recently been using a charcoal face soap from handmadecows on etsy. The size is perfect for travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.