Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Need help with wardrobe for London August 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

I've always travelled to Europe in the winter months, so this is my first summer trip to Europe in over thirty years and need some help with my wardrobe. I'm only using my B&R international wide carryon; which I used in my last trip; Feb 2016.

I know I'll be wearing jeans, tshirt, and probably a hoodie on the flight over. I'll be there six nights and will have a day trip to Highclere Castle. I figure three pair of knee length shorts and tshirt to match, would that be enough? I'll have a very lightweight packable rain jacket and small travel umbrella.

I usually wear a lot of black in my life, but perhaps maybe khaki shorts? I really don't like Capri pants.

I've recently lost a lot of weight so I do want to look nice. I have the comfortable yet stylish walking shoes plus a new pair of New Balance shoes.

My last trip to Paris all I wore was black and just blended in with every other woman.

I'm just asking for advice from seasoned travelers.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
London is a big city and more dressy than the usual US city (although full of messy tourists from USA in the summer time). I would not wear shorts all the time unless I was under the age of 14. Slacks or (non-distressed) designer jeans would be better. I think T shirts are fine especially if you have a cardigan or casual jacket/blazer to wear on cooler days. If you bring several T Shirts you can always launder one if necessary in the sink and still have time for it to dry. (I have noticed the towel warmers are not always turned on in the summer which is kind of too bad for drying hand washing quickly). The outdoor temps will probably be in the 70s, but could be warmer or cooler so layers will cover your bets. Sounds like you have the right idea to bring the rain jacket and umbrella. And your shoes sound perfect. I like to wear a cross body bag for my purse so I don't have to clutch it every minute while walking around. I like a cloth purse as they are lighter than leather ones. You will be out all day and walking a lot so you don't want to wear out your shoulder with a heavy bag. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Great advice. But maybe one pair of knee length shorts, I do have great legs! My purse is a cross body bag. I think I'll look for a nice blazer or jacket. My weight continues to come down and by August I think I'll reach my goal. Nice jeans won't be a problem, but I want to find something lightweight like a khaki.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I know I'll be wearing jeans, tshirt, and probably a hoodie on the flight over. I'll be there six nights and will have a day trip to Highclere Castle. I figure three pair of knee length shorts and tshirt to match, would that be enough?
There is no way I'd wear knee length shorts in any major city in Europe. Dress standards are different between European capitals and the U.S. Shorts and t-shirts scream "TOURIST" and I suspect could have a negative impact on how you are treated. Plus, England doesn't exactly get that hot most summers.

For warm weather trips to Europe I go with a couple casual skirts and tailored twill slacks (think LL Bean non-wrinkle twills). Add t-shirts, a light cardigan and your rain jacket. They might still recognize you as a tourist, but in a less negative light.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I meant by tshirt a scoop neck shirt made of cotton, not like my "Iron Maiden" tshirt. Sorry for the miscommunication. I happen to wear LLBean clothes. I like the non-wrinkle pants.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
There is no way I'd wear knee length shorts in any major city in Europe. Dress standards are different between European capitals and the U.S.
+1 on that. Adults can get away with shorts in the US, and in hot vacation spots frequented by tourists, but in a European city I would never wear them. (Shorts are worn by little boys, and that's pretty much it.) Find some comfortable skirts if you want to show off your legs.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Plus, England doesn't exactly get that hot most summers.
Also true.

For a six-day trip in the UK summer, I'd bring one pair of long trousers, one pair of capris, and one skirt for my bottom half. For the top, three short-sleeve, one sleeveless, and two long-sleeve shirts plus a nice-looking light sweater and a light jacket. Throw in the folding umbrella, one pair of stylish but comfortable walking shoes, and one pair of slightly dressier sandals, and you're done.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
+1 on that. Adults can get away with shorts in the US, and in hot vacation spots frequented by tourists, but in a European city I would never wear them. (Shorts are worn by little boys, and that's pretty much it.) Find some comfortable skirts if you want to show off your legs.

Also true.

For a six-day trip in the UK summer, I'd bring one pair of long trousers, one pair of capris, and one skirt for my bottom half. For the top, three short-sleeve, one sleeveless, and two long-sleeve shirts plus a nice-looking light sweater and a light jacket. Throw in the folding umbrella, one pair of stylish but comfortable walking shoes, and one pair of slightly dressier sandals, and you're done.
You just made my day!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
As a Londoner I keep my shorts in the holiday drawer with my bikinis and sundresses. Nothing comes out of the holiday drawer unless I'm going abroad or there is some kind of freak heatwave.

I would recommend bringing layers, it could be warm one day and then cold, windy and rainy the next. Short sleeved T-shirts, 2-3 jumpers (of varying weights), 2 pairs of jeans and a light coat would cover most situations. I usually wear trainers because walking is often the most pleasant way to get around. Obviously bring a smarter outfit if you want to go to a fancy restaurant.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:35 pm

19 trips to the UK and I've never worn shorts there. Along with T-shirts to layer or the occasional hot day I own a lot of no-iron 100% cotton blouses which are made by a variety of manufacturers i.e. Ralph Lauren, Liz Claiborne, Chico's, etc. A crisper look along with khaki or navy or black slacks along with a blazer or light jacket and they pack extremely well.

I enjoyed Highclerc but unfortunately, Carson wasn't there to greet me. One thing I wish we had been told was to arrange a taxi to pick us up from the castle after the tour. Of course, if you're on some sort of tour, that will probably be arranged but we just went on our own.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gringa
19 trips to the UK and I've never worn shorts there. Along with T-shirts to layer or the occasional hot day I own a lot of no-iron 100% cotton blouses which are made by a variety of manufacturers i.e. Ralph Lauren, Liz Claiborne, Chico's, etc. A crisper look along with khaki or navy or black slacks along with a blazer or light jacket and they pack extremely well.

I enjoyed Highclerc but unfortunately, Carson wasn't there to greet me. One thing I wish we had been told was to arrange a taxi to pick us up from the castle after the tour. Of course, if you're on some sort of tour, that will probably be arranged but we just went on our own.
Thanks. I'll dress smart casual then. Sounds like a good plan. I'm visiting Highclere on my own, so I'll arrange a cab back to the train station. I'll miss Carson, though.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I would never, ever, wear shorts in London or the inland countryside. Travelmad above wrote an excellent packing list with long pants, capris, and a skirt. Your home Cleveland is latitude 41.5 N, London is latitude 51.5 N. It's just going to be cooler than home, even in August.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:03 pm

Here is a male comment. Definitely no shorts. Full stop. Also, locals think that US footware seen on London streets is too often gross. Nicely dressed women out an about but wearing really ugly sneakers. If you want to blend in wear shoes and bin the white sneakers.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

OK, I get the hints. No shorts. Just smart casual clothes. Good walking shoes. My sneakers aren't white and will work. I need comfortable shoes.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
When I travel in Europe I find that a casual skirt is a good substitute for shorts. The skirt is cool and comfortable (elastic waist anyone?) but looks more pulled together.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

I wanted to give an update. My weight is coming off me nicely and I'm starting to feel much better about myself. I believe by July I should reach my goal. I'll be shopping for smart casual wear, of course no shorts. I do have foot issues, a high arch/instep and have custom orthotics. I have bought a pair of Brooks Ravenna 8 (men's) and a pair of New Balance Vizee (woman's). I have big feet. I will look for something dressier, but not a sandal, that my inserts will fit. This is a challenge for me. I have several winter leather shoes I wear, but nothing for summer; hence the tennis shoes (trainers).

The trainers are mostly black. Even my mother liked them which is a first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.