Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Need help with wardrobe for London August 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with wardrobe for London August 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I guess I'm confused about what we're looking for in bags

My my about-town bags when I travel, I tend to use a somewhat larger crossbody nylon bag - I have a couple le sportsac hobos, pacsafe citysafe 200, and a smaller ebags (I don't use that much - it's pretty small - could use around town locally) If we're doing something like a picnic, we'll bring the backpack my husband uses as his personal item on the plane, or if I needed more space, I typically use a tote as my personal item on the plane I could re-purpose. My favorite totes for that use are a Timbuk2 version or a sailbag (both lightweight with zippered tops) I have a B&R I'll use for business trips - it has a padded handle and laptop padded space - but it's not really big enough for the other airplane items I want....

I only use the super lightweight for groceries or last minute shopping for the apartment on the way back....
Yes, I think we may be going in circles.

To clarify: I used a very small purse (LeSportsac small Cleo) for important stuff: ID, money, Oyster card, lipstick.

Everything else for a day's outing went in the tote. The tote did not serve as a piece of luggage for me, it arrived in England in a suitcase. Never let it be said I travel light...

Part of the reason for this was a devious plot to make my companion take equal turns carrying the bag. No more "Mom purse" weighing 20 pounds!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We usually travel to Europe in cooler temps. My husband has a nice (non-sporty) goretex jacket with oodles of pockets, many internal. I will load him up like a pack mule! But yeah, otherwise I'll carry everything in my bag...but it's usually all my stuff so I guess I can't complain too much.

My favorite is a stainless water bottle full of wine. It can get cold walking around, you know :-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

I really don't want to buy another tote, so I'll just use my nice B&R Excursion backpack. Very nice and padded shoulder straps and can hold plenty. It's khaki colored, an older model which matches the 25" spinner, but I'm taking the International widebody carryon. The TB looks nice, but maybe another time.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I really don't want to buy another tote, so I'll just use my nice B&R Excursion backpack. Very nice and padded shoulder straps and can hold plenty. It's khaki colored, an older model which matches the 25" spinner, but I'm taking the International widebody carryon. The TB looks nice, but maybe another time.
Just an FYI: Harrods will not allow backpacks or daypacks in the store. We learned that the hard way. (previous trip)

Also, my tote was a freebie. It says "See's Candy" on the side.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
We have some nylon shopping totes (bought at Monoprix for 1E a few years back) that I always travel with for grocery shopping (I use canvas totes for groceries at home) Easy to fit inside my purse or jacket pocket in case we do some impromptu shopping while out & about.

Trip sounds lovely except the temps ;-)
I bought a couple dozen of those in various bright colors on one trip to Paris several years ago. I brought them back for souveniers for friends and family, and we all still use them. I have two of them in my purse right now
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Just an FYI: Harrods will not allow backpacks or daypacks in the store. We learned that the hard way. (previous trip)

Also, my tote was a freebie. It says "See's Candy" on the side.
I had no idea. Never visited Harrods. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I bought a couple dozen of those in various bright colors on one trip to Paris several years ago. I brought them back for souveniers for friends and family, and we all still use them. I have two of them in my purse right now
We only do "useful" souvenirs now (with an occasional Christmas tree ornament) which usually means I'm bringing back food or beauty supplies, but every few months I ask my husband when we can go back to France so I can get some new Monoprix bags

And, you know, explore a new part of France, yadda yadda yadda
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
We only do "useful" souvenirs now (with an occasional Christmas tree ornament) which usually means I'm bringing back food or beauty supplies, but every few months I ask my husband when we can go back to France so I can get some new Monoprix bags

And, you know, explore a new part of France, yadda yadda yadda
^ I'll be stockingup again when I go next month
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I found at The Container Store today a Helsinki Bag, in black, packs down very small.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I've had my share of prickly heat. Skorts are way too short on me. I'm just going to stick with what I have. Unless in my shopping spree next week I find something.
Big fan of the commando skort slip. I wear skorts all the time, but the skort slip is the next best thing.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:32 pm

Waiting for a trip report from the OP...
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

I want to do a trip report as I have lots of photos but I can't figure how to post photos. As for my clothes, I was spot on. Capris only worn once at Herne Bay Airshow. Otherwise, black trousers and jeans worn. Had a jacket everyday as the temps were variable. Once I went out for the day and became chilly, so I bought a nice jacket. Had my umbrella with me everyday and glad I did. Transport on the Tube was easy. My Helsinki Bag came in handy. Lightweight and held a ton of stuff.

I also shopped at Muji and Uniqlo. I know the clothes, designed in Japan run small but they fit me just fine.

I visited: Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, imperial War Museum, Art museums, Museum of Natural History. Plus lots of shopping and eating; well I managed to lose three pounds I have no idea how. One day I logged over 30,000 steps on my Fitbit. Went to Harrids and bought a few things; souvenirs.

I ate finally at Dishroom, had lots of street food, chicken curry, sushi, etc. I ate a modified full English breakfast. Actually I think I ate a lot of Asian food.

I never made it to Highclere Castle. I became ill from the chicken curry the night before or had a 24 hour bug; who knows?

Muji had organic socks on sale for Ł1, I bought several pairs. They are so soft.

My take? Shoes. I brought Adidas UltraBoost X (black) and Asics DynaFlyte (multicolored). The Adidas has a very good arch support and I didn't need an insert.

Of course I bought way too much stuff and had to buy a duffelbag. When my stash of tea runs out I'll guess I'll make another trip over.
Hoyaheel and ysolde like this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:31 am

Sounds like great fun!!!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:22 pm

When my stash of tea runs out I'll guess I'll make another trip over.
Me, too. Running out of the Ceylon from Whittard of Chelsea is clearly justification for a return to London. The offspring is going through the Berry Blend fruit infusion at a fast clip, so will need more of that, too.

It sounds as if you had cooler weather than we did. That's a good thing.
CosmosHuman and ysolde like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.