Kinerase Gone :(

Old Aug 13, 16, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Unhappy Kinerase Gone :(

Years ago, and at the recommendation of many people in this forum, I started using Kinerase. It wasn't cheap, but it did appear to work.

It appears that Valeant Pharma has sold/spun off that division to Obagi. I wrote to them and they indicated that the products were gone and suggested their product called Gentle Rejuvination which contains Kinetin and Zeatin. They did say the products were not exactly the same. It also appears they're not wildly available and can be purchased through dermatologists, though I have seen the products sold at a few online retailers.

So, ladies, what creams are you using? I'm now a 50-something and have been using Kinerase for about 10 years. I still have 1 tube in the fridge, but am out of the eye cream
Old Aug 14, 16, 8:22 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
I'm missing Kinerase too! I have been using La Mer products and stock up on them in Germany. A few things sold there I can't find in the US and prices are a bit better.

Kinerase's active ingredient in the eye cream I think we both used was furfuryladenine. I haven't looked much to see if any other products might contain it. Retin A comes closest to it, but is more drying, stronger and by script. I have used Retin A and find it pretty harsh on my skin, but it is proven to be effective in studies.
Old Aug 15, 16, 6:23 am
Original Poster

I think furfurydalenine may be kinetin. I will look some more.

I hesitate to use Retin A, even in the OTC form, because it's not as gentle. From what I've seen on the Obagi website and their email, it appears the Gentle Rejuvination line is also gentle for sensitive skin.

I can't bring myself to buy La Mer products... they're price is beyond what my stomach can tolerate
Old Aug 15, 16, 8:20 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Explains the chemicals v trade names.
http://www.smartskincare.com/treatme...e_kinetin.html

Older story about effectiveness of Retin A: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/11/30...skin.html?_r=0
Old Aug 26, 16, 11:25 am
Original Poster

I finally got around to looking who might be selling Obagi products and there are a few websites.

I ordered the Ultra Rich Gentle Rejuvination eye cream from Amazon today. The reviews were mostly positive, and it contains kinetin and zeatin, so I'm hoping it's pretty much the same. It cost $55, and I did see prices around $80, which is what Kinerase sold for. The Obagi website does not contain prices - they only sell the MDs.

Will keep you posted.
Old Jan 29, 17, 9:48 am
Original Poster

UPDATE....

I finally started using the eye cream I ordered back in August. I hadn't run out of Kinerase yet.

I'm liking it more than the Kinerase eye cream. Too bad Obagi isn't that widely available. It seems to be something that is sold in doctor's offices only - and of course, on Amazon.

I don't need face cream yet. I still have a tube in the refrigerator.
Old Jan 30, 17, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Last year my derm was selling Obagi products (I have a couple of the prescription items) but this year they aren't - I think she said they changed the formulation and the MD doesn't like it? I'm about to go in to replace my tretinoinin so I'll see what they have now....

I need a new night cream so I'm shopping around
Old Jan 30, 17, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Perhaps they changed the formulation of the particular line they're selling. Obagi has several, and I really only looked at the Kinerase equivalent (gentle rejuvenation)

But I looked at the pricing again on Amazon, and the eye cream is now up to $102 a tube. That may be more than I'm willing to spend.
Old Oct 28, 17, 6:27 pm

OBAGI

Thank you for the tip about Obagi. I can't wait to try it. I loved kinerase and it helped my eye lid tremendously. It was the only cream endorsed by my dermatologist and eye surgeon. my eye lid had been cut off in an auto accident and is pieced together from left over skin on my head. I found Obagi for 55$ at Walmart. Much better than the 102 price tag from Amazon.

Search this Thread