Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Share your favorite travel "secrets"

Share your favorite travel "secrets"

Old Jan 15, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
My husband and I do all kinds of travel, luxury hotels for a couple of weeks to hop on and off trains in Europe for a couple/few days per city to road trips. Less than a week I'm good with just a carry on but over a week we will have one checked bag between us.So many wonderful tips that were shared (a few I use and a few I will try) by everyone, thank you!

One of my tips started because of another one. I carry a plain roll (no plastic package with cutter) of scotch tape that I have used scissors or a package cutter to slice down through a few layers. It started as a way to cover the hole I made (with my safety pin) in sample packets of shampoo and conditioner to use the tiny amount I need to wash my short hair and not have the leftovers leak. But tape is good for so much!

I carry a small box of Baking Soda, great for rubbing on stained clothing, teeth brushing in a pinch, washing delicates and socks in the sink, many uses.

A cheap, thin washcloth in a ziplock that I moisten with water on longer flights to breath through to give my nose a bit of humidity. I'm prone to nosebleeds so this really helps.

A baggie of condiment packets and a little baggie of herbs/spices-I can produce a pretty good egg salad out of those hotel lounge boiled eggs

A thin, insulated bag that folds flat (the kind you use for groceries like these) and some ziplocks for when we want a picnic. Also, a couple of camping fork/spoon/knife combos (NOT sporks) and reusable straws.

I never leave home without my travel steamer, I've been known to use it to boil water for coffee or tea.

Happy travels!
gretchendz and prmetime like this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 12:54 am

I've used
this mini crossbody bag this mini crossbody bag
on my last three trips and love it! I travel with a rolling carry on and a backpack as my personal bag so it always used to be awkward digging through the backpack when I needed my ID, phone, etc. This bag keeps my essentials within easy reach: phone, passport, credit card/cash, chapstick, lotion, portable charger, cable, plug, and earbuds. It can easily fit into the backpack in order to stay within the two-item limit but it's so small that I've never been asked to put it away. If I'm in a crowd and worried about pickpockets, I can lock the zipper and wear it under my jacket (it's padded though so it doesn't lie flat but it wouldn't stick out too noticeably as long as you didn't overfill it).
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
Always travel in something like these
https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Ballet-Flats-Portable-Ballerina/dp/B07BGTJNB7/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=foldable%2Bballet%2Bslippers&qid=1570642757&sr=8-10&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Ballet-Flats-Portable-Ballerina/dp/B07BGTJNB7/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=foldable%2Bballet%2Bslippers&qid=1570642757&sr=8-10&th=1
although mine are a pair I picked up in New Zealand years ago. Go with everything, from dinner to hotel pool. Surprisingly sturdy plus the carry bag doubles as a wristlet purse for essential documents, phone etc and saves me bringing an additional evening bag.
gretchendz likes this.

Search this Thread