Longchamp large tote

Old Aug 5, 16, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
Longchamp large tote

Tell me about this tote, ladies. I asked for it for my birthday, and have yet to use it. It looked bigger, somehow, on websites and in youtube videos. I am feeling two ways about it: I like the long handles and the fact that it zips up, and it looks like it can hold more than my regular purse.

But I was looking for something to act as more of an overnight or weekend bag, something to take with me as a carry-on in addition to my purse on TATL flights, when I want to check in a small (carry-on sized) suitcase, so that I can have the essentials and a purse on board with me. Will this be large enough for that, or is it (as it looks) more of a large, unstructured purse?

I don't want to fill it with my things and then not be able to return it because it has lost its shape (except it has no shape, so I'm not sure what my concern is). I am feeling so meh right now.

Any experiences with this bag? Why is it so popular as a travel bag?
Old Aug 5, 16, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
I just got one - Nordstrom clearance sale - and used it for a quick weekend get away. As a purse, not flying. Not sure how I feel. It's an awkward size for me, to be sure. Smaller than my work or travel totes and larger than my regular purses but with less organization...
Old Aug 5, 16, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Ritz-Carlton Rewards Silver, Le Club Accor Silver
That's kind of how it's looking to me. Awkward. Too big to be a regular purse, too small to be a carry-on. I'm feeling like Goldilocks here. Maybe I'm missing something about it, but this Le Pliage tote just does not strike me as just right.
Old Aug 5, 16, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Originally Posted by ysolde
I'm feeling like Goldilocks here.
Ha, yes. I can totally be Goldilocks! I'm still contemplating it as my personal item for our Asia trip in the fall. I want to pack light but I know I'm checking a bag to bring liquor to Singapore (20 or 22", not sure yet) and my husband is bringing a backpack and small rolling duffel as carry-on so I might bring a small rolling bag carry-on and then the Le pliage with liquids and my small travel purse, passport & kindle. We'll see - that's 3+ months away and I'm working on my plan ;-)
Old Aug 7, 16, 3:23 pm

In DC, it seems to be the bag of choice for many young women as the nylon construction makes it light, durable, and easy to clean while offering lots of colorways. While it is sturdy, I found that the thin rolled straps hurt my shoulder when carrying heavy loads. Mine is now used to store a spare cardigan and pair of flats under my desk at work.
Old Aug 7, 16, 4:11 pm
KCZ

I've never owned one, but I'm not a fan of those double straps for a travel bag. I either want a real shoulder strap and/or wheels, and a strap on the back to slide the tote over the handle of another wheeled bag. You have to take this thing off your shoulder every time you want to fish something out of it.
Old Aug 10, 16, 5:55 am

Goldilocks! Love it!

I think part of the reason that the LeP is so popular could be because it folds up, so it's easy to carry as an extra bag. That said, I rarely use mine as it's just a big, unstructured black hole. And I have other "extra" bags that I'll choose to carry that will take up less space.

I find that the leather straps will slip off of my shoulder, which is annoying. The LeP is a pretty bag, and I'll use it on my daily commute when I have something large to carry.

But for travel I need external pockets, a sleeve that will slip over the handle of a suitcase and the option of a cross body strap. I have a bag by Lipault that hits all of those notes, but isn't as aesthetically appealing as the LeP.
Old Aug 10, 16, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsqrott View Post
Goldilocks! Love it!

I think part of the reason that the LeP is so popular could be because it folds up, so it's easy to carry as an extra bag. That said, I rarely use mine as it's just a big, unstructured black hole. And I have other "extra" bags that I'll choose to carry that will take up less space.

I find that the leather straps will slip off of my shoulder, which is annoying. The LeP is a pretty bag, and I'll use it on my daily commute when I have something large to carry.

But for travel I need external pockets, a sleeve that will slip over the handle of a suitcase and the option of a cross body strap. I have a bag by Lipault that hits all of those notes, but isn't as aesthetically appealing as the LeP.
How much does the Lipault hold? Is it heavy when empty?

What about the Lo & Sons OG? How much does that hold and how much does t weigh when empty?
Old Aug 10, 16, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ysolde View Post
How much does the Lipault hold? Is it heavy when empty?

What about the Lo & Sons OG? How much does that hold and how much does t weigh when empty?
Both the Lipault Plume weekend shoulder bag and Lo & Sons OG weigh 2.2 lbs empty.

They hold roughly the same amount and are both roughly the same size but I find the OG more appealing (I'm shallow ). The Lipault is rectangular while the OG is domed.

Both carry everything that I need as carry on and both have served as my only bag for short trips (granted this is when I'm only bringing the essentials as far as clothing). I travel with both a laptop and a tablet, power cords, toiletry bag, unbrella and a wrap among other things and both bags easily hold it all with room to spare (in case of duty free )
Old Nov 16, 16, 7:35 am
Original Poster

UPDATE:

Decided to try the Longchamp large tote on this last trip as my "personal item". As it turns out, I was allowed a (European-sized) carry-on suitcase, a personal item, and a purse. We were traveling for a month, so I packed the suitcase judiciously, and took one of my favorite handbags (a slouchy leather hobo bag which seems to fit a lot while being medium-sized).

I am happy to report that the Longchamp was a great carry-on/personal item. It is really bottomless and highly expandable, and I managed to pack my 311 kit (which outlasted the month of travel), my make-up, jewelry, medicines, hairbrush and other hair things, electronics cords, iPad, planner/agenda (I can't do it all in my iPhone, particularly on long trips), antibacterial wipes, tiny umbrella, and extra sweater.

To be fair, I am one of those OCD types who keeps a lot of stuff in separate pouches and bags (Obviously the 311 bag. The make-up has its own pouches. There is a medicine pouch. A small pouch for the electronics cords. A pouch for the jewelry. And so on.) so it was fairly easy to pack the Longchamp bag -- sort of like playing a game of Tetris.

I don't think it's for everyone, but if you are traveling light, and especially if, like us, you are going to be catching a lot of trains, the long handles on the Longchamp worked fine around the handle of the suitcase, so you can sit it right on your suitcase and move. Fast.

In my case, the bag also worked as a third handbag alternative (on rainy days, and boy did we have a lot of those on this trip). I had packed a small cross body in my suitcase.

It really depends on your needs and how you pack, but for me, on this trip, it worked.
Old Jan 6, 18, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by ysolde View Post
That's kind of how it's looking to me. Awkward. Too big to be a regular purse, too small to be a carry-on. I'm feeling like Goldilocks here. Maybe I'm missing something about it, but this Le Pliage tote just does not strike me as just right.
These bags would be just perfect if there was *some* sort of exterior pocket.
And a divider of some sort inside would be nice, too. Just a single piece of fabric, wouldn't take up much space, even for folding.

I did get one for our last trip, where we'd be "out and around" much of the day, and it was terrific.

For airports, I just don't fill it full (a problem I need to fight regardless of size of bag!), and put my small purse inside. The Longchamp then becomes my "purse" item.

I made the mistake of getting black.
That seems to be de rigueur these days, and I need to put something around the handle that marks it as "mine" so no one else tries to grab it, especially at security, where there can be several.

GC
Old Jun 27, 18, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

I have purchased the Lo & Sons OG. I have been using the Longchamp Le Pliage regularly. I suspect I will be using the Lo & Sons for different types of trips.

Search this Thread