FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Travel Jewelry Case (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1757768-travel-jewelry-case.html)

titaniumfemme Apr 5, 2016 7:49 pm

Travel Jewelry Case

Does anyone have recommendations for a really good, functional travel jewelry case? Not overly heavy would be a plus.

I'm not a minimalist when it comes to jewelry -- I typically wear all black and like to add interest with stand out costume necklaces and earrings. (In other words, I'm not the type to wear a thin gold chain, a single strand of pearls or tiny earrings.) I like to travel with a nice selection of options to change up my capsule wardrobe.

Most of the travel jewelry cases I've found are too small or just not very functional (for example, jewelry rolls never work for me). I've been looking at the Lug Flipper -- anyone have experience with this one or another you'd recommend?

Many thanks!

KCZ Apr 10, 2016 1:54 pm

I love jewelry and I have dozens of small boxes and travel cases. Have you looked at Wolf Designs, Reed and Barton, and Royce Leather, both on their websites and google for some older styles? Amazon also has a lot of small jewelry cases. That Lug Flipper looks too jumbled for me, I like little compartments in a box, as well as a separate pouch for pearls. Rowallan of Scotland made wonderful little boxes, but sadly they went out of business.

gretchendz Apr 11, 2016 8:52 am

Rowallan

Originally Posted by KCZ (Post 26465342)
I love jewelry and I have dozens of small boxes and travel cases. Have you looked at Wolf Designs, Reed and Barton, and Royce Leather, both on their websites and google for some older styles? Amazon also has a lot of small jewelry cases. That Lug Flipper looks too jumbled for me, I like little compartments in a box, as well as a separate pouch for pearls. Rowallan of Scotland made wonderful little boxes, but sadly they went out of business.

there are a fair number of Rowallans still available on Ebay.

hudson1126 Apr 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Alternates to hard cases

I've got a jewelry hack that might work if you're OK with individual jewelry items being outside an actual jewelry bag, though I sometimes put multiples of these inside one of many different Japanese MUJI bags. I save the protective foam mesh that you find around some fancy or exotic fruits. They stretch a bit and provide a nice cushion. Put each necklace inside one and hand-tie a knot or use a twisty tie or a hinged, plastic bag clip at both ends to make a closed-end tube shape. I also take small sheets of bubble wrap to roll each necklace into ....best for carry-on bags becauseTSA tends to open bags with bubble wrap inside. Muji come is so many sizes and are virtually weightless. Lastly, I save hotel shower caps for wrapping earrings individually. By the time you have rolled it around and around the item, there's a bit of padding created by all the layers.

MOMA Design stores and Retail in Japan have the most size and shape choices. MOMA online has this one: https://www.momastore.org/museum/mom...63_26712_68809

MissJoeyDFW Apr 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by titaniumfemme (Post 26442772)
Does anyone have recommendations for a really good, functional travel jewelry case? Not overly heavy would be a plus.

I'm not a minimalist when it comes to jewelry -- I typically wear all black and like to add interest with stand out costume necklaces and earrings. (In other words, I'm not the type to wear a thin gold chain, a single strand of pearls or tiny earrings.) I like to travel with a nice selection of options to change up my capsule wardrobe.

Most of the travel jewelry cases I've found are too small or just not very functional (for example, jewelry rolls never work for me). I've been looking at the Lug Flipper -- anyone have experience with this one or another you'd recommend?

Many thanks!

I don't have the Lug Flipper but I do have other Lug products that hold cosmetics and I can vouch for the quality of Lug. They are well made and have held up during travel and over the years. An Amazon review indicates that the Lug Flipper won't hold chunky pieces. When I was traveling 80% of the time I bought numerous travel jewelry cases and junked them all because I just couldn't find one that I felt was worked well. I used jewelry rollers, also didn't like them. I currently use a large Vera Bradley cosmetic bag and put the jewelry pieces into very thin cloth or mesh drawstring bags to keep the pieces from scratching and tangling inside the cosmetic bag. Not a great system but it works for me.

I am interested in seeing what works for others.

Hoyaheel Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW (Post 26482310)
I currently use a large Vera Bradley cosmetic bag and put the jewelry pieces into very thin cloth or mesh drawstring bags to keep the pieces from scratching and tangling inside the cosmetic bag. Not a great system but it works for me.

This is essentially what I do - though the past couple years I've been VERY minimalist with jewelry and have been using a lesportsac heartshaped bag. Not sure what it's supposed to be - changepurse? When I do want to take more, I grab one of my flat envelope bags (I am addicted to bags, so....I keep everything - Tumi amenity kits, cheap AF premium economy, makeup giveaways, lesportsac cosmetic bags, various Eagle Creek packing bags) I have a couple "jewelry pouches" (I never use the leather roll - I do occasionally use the lesportsac nylon separated pouch). Anything long or delicate I try to keep in its own bag - cloth if I have, plastic pill bag if I don't:p

Hmm, can't find the Lesportsac jewelry thing online - bummer. I like it because it's zippers and not ties as many jewelry cases seem to be.

tcl Oct 16, 2017 1:13 pm

I've always used a small zippered pouch along with some mini-ziplocks. However, recently a few pieces got crushed and severely scratched at the bottom of my bag somehow and I've started putting the pouch in a small-medium candy tin that is similar to a tall Altoids tin. I also cut and glued/double-sided taped some micro-fleece to the inside of the tin to prevent accidental scratches. I like looking out for candy and cookie containers around Christmas and Valentine's day as they are usually small but not too flat to hold jewellery.

I tried to find small and secure plastic food containers but my husband almost threw my jewellery out on one trip.... :eek:

Dianne47 Dec 14, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm pretty much a minimalist when packing jewelry for travel. I use the small and medium ebags.com brand padded pouches, they are compact and protective. I put jewelry in small ziplocks (available on amazon), then place in the pouch. I just checked and they're not currently on the website. I fervently hope they ran out during this holiday buying rush. If they're discontinued I will be VERY upset.

CDTraveler Dec 15, 2017 11:00 pm

Is it too déclassé to admit I use Clinique bonus pouches for jewelry and scarves when I travel? :D

I often take along a silk scarf or two, and they fit beautifully inside a Clinique pouch and don't get snagged or wrinkled. I don't take much jewelry when I travel, but some of my earring are delicate (I make them) and I put them inside https://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Purp...ds=earbud+case (why do links not work correctly since the "upgrade" to FT?!) and then put that with necklaces and 2 favorite bracelets in another Clinique pouch.