Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Dress shoe help for long days of walking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dress shoe help for long days of walking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have some bandaid friction block in my travel shower kit but always forget to use it (the good news is I only travel in shoes that are well broken in, but still - long sweaty days walking sometimes bring on blisters)
It's cheap & I picked it up at a local Walmart
Amazon.com: Band-Aid Friction Blister Block Stick: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Band-Aid Friction Blister Block Stick: Health & Personal Care

I have some Vionic ballet shoes with the negative heel (bought at Sierra Trading Post) I like but could not wear them for an entire day of standing or walking. They're great for a regular work/office day though.

(I cannot wear skechers - have tried on so many different styles and they just don't work for me - so as many of us have noted - just get out there and try stuff on - you never know what might work for YOUR feet^)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:30 am

I love that Band-Aid stick. It's a real lifesaver. I have some in my travel kit and some in my purse for when I'm breaking in new shoes before travel.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I have some bandaid friction block in my travel shower kit but always forget to use it (the good news is I only travel in shoes that are well broken in, but still - long sweaty days walking sometimes bring on blisters)
Amazon.com: Band-Aid Friction Blister Block Stick: Health & Personal Care
Just as an FYI: in looking at this product and the similar product by Body Glide, I noticed that the Body Glide version has twice the quantity of product for the same price, and free shipping from the company website, https://www.bodyglide.com.

Haven't used either one yet, so can't comment on their relative quality.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:31 pm

Hmm - I always think of Body Glide as more similar to the monistat or lanacane anti-chafing gel, but I guess it is more similar to the bandaid stick (I got mine on discount - apparently it wasn't a popular product at my store)

You can also use antiperspirant - which is what runners were doing that gave the drug companies the idea to develop/market a product specifically for chafing/blisters.

(the anti-chafing gels - dimethicone, basically - are great if your thighs rub when sweaty as mine do - I try to travel with skimmie shorts or a boxer brief for days I know I'll be walking a lot in a dress or skirt, but sometimes.....)

Sorry to get off topic. I have been shoe window browsing all day because of this thread I have a conference in Florida in May - trying to figure out what shoes I want to bring!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:02 pm

Hmm - I always think of Body Glide as more similar to the monistat or lanacane anti-chafing gel, but I guess it is more similar to the bandaid stick (I got mine on discount - apparently it wasn't a popular product at my store)
(snip)

Sorry to get off topic. I have been shoe window browsing all day because of this thread I have a conference in Florida in May - trying to figure out what shoes I want to bring!
The Body Glide website shows 6 different products for different issues, including the one specifically for shoes/feet. Again, haven't personally tried them yet, but will be buying the shoe product for those killer blue loafers.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
The key to long conferences, walking, standing on feet is to have at least 2 different pairs of shoes that you rotate each day. I don't know what it is, but it works.
I go to a week long conference each year and stand 16 hours per day. Our Conference Team recommends bringing 2 pairs to alternate.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Didn't Know About these bandaid sticks

They promise to save me a great deal of pain--thank you!

I have some Vionic ballet shoes with the negative heel (bought at Sierra Trading Post) I like but could not wear them for an entire day of standing or walking. They're great for a regular work/office day though.

(I cannot wear skechers - have tried on so many different styles and they just don't work for me - so as many of us have noted - just get out there and try stuff on - you never know what might work for YOUR feet^)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:27 pm

I've also found that sock liners are great for keeping the rubbing and humidity issues down if I'm not wearing a full sock. The ones with silicone no slip heel grip for toe to heel coverage work best for me or I'm forever tugging them back up from sliding under my heel. The HUE toe slingback covers are great for closed toed pumps where the other type might peek out too much http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hue-perf...for-15/3358540
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
In the process of looking for something completely different, I came across Foot. The website claims it will "Protect your feet and toes against rubbing that causes blisters, chafing, raw skin, and hot spots."
Update: tried the Foot product when I wore a new pair of heels to a party yesterday. No blisters, no friction problems. Unfortunately that also meant the heels would pop off if I walked quickly. That might just be due to the fit of these particular shoes, which I think will just be party shoes and not meant for serious quantities of walking or standing.

Still need to try it on the killer blue loafers.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Naturalizer

Late to the party, but I don't think anyone has mentioned Naturalizer. Love their ballet flats and wear them to teach almost every day. Walked 11 miles in them around Manhattan while 27 weeks pregnant. Not the *most* fashion forward shoe, but cute, and they make my size-11 feet look small...
Old May 8, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
Not sure if they are European-only but I never travel without a couple of compeeds https://www.compeed.co.uk/compeed-footcare which are brilliant for stopping blisters.

Also espadrille wedges - Penelope Chilvers for preference as they are beautifully balanced and the metallics go with everything.

Given this is FT I'd also recommend makes aimed at cabin crew - boring but designed for comfort and stability ;-)
Old May 9, 2016, 7:59 am

They're called something else in the US but compeeds are available. Usually called a blister cushion or similar
Amazon.com: Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Advanced Healing Blister Cushions, 6 Count: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages, Advanced Healing Blister Cushions, 6 Count: Health & Personal Care
Old May 26, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
Just saw an advertisement for ballet slippers called Tieks http://tieks.com/. They are pricey but users who have them post very positive reviews....and I did check out reviews on other sites. They seem to have a pretty incredible fan base.

I've wanted a pair of ballet flats but those I've tried have never felt comfortable. I may check these out. The shipping/packaging is interesting as well.

Apologies for straying from OP's query....
Old May 26, 2016, 3:28 pm

What's comfortable at 30 is just about any shoe that is big enough and fits well. The older you get, the more help you need from your shoes. As many already know, Superfeet insoles can transform a shoe. The key to Superfeet is getting the arch support in the right place. They tend to be positioned too close to the heel for me. I have to go up a size and trim the toes. Superfeet Carbon will work in dress shoes and doesn't add much bulk. There is some very dense, thin cushion but you don't need more because the arch support and alignment takes care of everything - plantar fasciitis, knees hurting, al of it.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:11 am

I've started to see these sold in the "travel care" section of my local pharmacies/drug stores (Walgreens, Duane Reade, CVS) in the US. Grabbing one for my next trip to CA after getting blisters after a 5K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.