FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Help me find some jeans! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1746902-help-me-find-some-jeans.html)

CBear Feb 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Help me find some jeans!

Dark wash preferred, boot cut, mid rise.

What's your favorite?

travelmad478 Feb 16, 2016 1:53 pm

I don't know about you, but I have to try on approximately 437 pairs of jeans before I find one that fits me...and even then, I have to get them hemmed and get darts sewn into the back waistband. Thus it is awfully hard to answer this question in any helpful way.

I have a pair of jeans by Seven for All Mankind that fits your description, but I bought them two years ago so it's highly unlikely that the same style is still in stores.

Mary2e Feb 16, 2016 2:11 pm

I usually buy Ralph Lauren.

freecia Feb 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 26195047)
I don't know about you, but I have to try on approximately 437 pairs of jeans before I find one that fits me...and even then, I have to get them hemmed and get darts sewn into the back waistband. Thus it is awfully hard to answer this question in any helpful way.

I, too, have also tried on hundreds of pairs. Now I usually stick to Uniqlo jeans as they fit me except for hemming (free or $5 in store). If you like dark wash jeans and your sizing/shape doesn't change, buy a few pairs of your favorite to rotate in when the dark wash fades.

Hoyaheel Feb 17, 2016 10:18 am

I don't wear jeans often, but Levis has so many varieties that I can usually find something that will work if needed. They have a new women's collection out recently - this is the 715, slim boot cut - comes in (what I think is a) nice dark rinse.
http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/womens-...yle_715_080115

CBear Feb 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 26199411)
I don't wear jeans often, but Levis has so many varieties that I can usually find something that will work if needed. They have a new women's collection out recently - this is the 715, slim boot cut - comes in (what I think is a) nice dark rinse.
http://www.levi.com/US/en_US/womens-...yle_715_080115

I used to love Levi's, but now I rarely find a bare that doesn't fade extremely fast and that does not have that back gap.

Their quality has gone down the toilet and their prices have increased significantly

Mary2e Feb 17, 2016 12:31 pm

One other thing.... I've now completely given up and refuse to buy dark wash jeans or shorts. The wash rubs off on anything. I learned my lesson when my jeans turned my beige leather car seats bluish... and the car was nearly new.

If they have a tag saying the color might wear or rub off, they go right back on the rack.

CBear Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 26200235)
One other thing.... I've now completely given up and refuse to buy dark wash jeans or shorts. The wash rubs off on anything. I learned my lesson when my jeans turned my beige leather car seats bluish... and the car was nearly new.

If they have a tag saying the color might wear or rub off, they go right back on the rack.

Eek!

Luckily I have not had that happen. I would be super upset.

Buster Feb 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Jeans fit is pretty personal, but my favorite brands are the Levi's CurveID (no back gap if properly fitted), Mossimo from Target and Lands End Canvas jeans (which aren't available anymore, but perhaps the Lands End jeans are similar). I just bought a pair of boyfriend jeans from Banana Republic which are ridiculously comfortable.

Hoyaheel Feb 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by CBear (Post 26200211)
I used to love Levi's, but now I rarely find a bare that doesn't fade extremely fast and that does not have that back gap.

Knowing your shape, your budget - other things like that - might help you get recommendations that are appropriate....Certain brands are known for different fits - slimmer or wider in various places....

One reason I don't wear jeans is that I have an hourglass shape and rarely find pants that will fit my thighs & hips & waist at the same time. I do have a pair of Lands End slim ankle jean (but yes, too big in the waist - I just wear a belt). Some of the Not Your Mother's Jeans I like (and some I do not) and they're often on sale at Nordstrom Rack....

Glamour magazine does a Jeans issue every year where they look at different brands by body shape - not sure what month that usually is (I subscribe but don't keep old issues).

travelmad478 Feb 18, 2016 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Buster (Post 26201798)
Jeans fit is pretty personal, but my favorite brands are the Levi's CurveID (no back gap if properly fitted)

Just looked at those, since the back gap is always an issue for me. However, every pair is a "skinny leg" design, which I absolutely hate. I am short, and although I'm not fat by any stretch of the imagination, I am not a size 0 and feel like I look awful in skinny, butt-hugging jeans. I like straight leg and a slightly loose-fitting seat, but it seems like no one has made jeans in that design for the last 15 years. (Which is why I am still wearing some pants that I bought 15 years ago!)

CBear Feb 18, 2016 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 26201806)
Knowing your shape, your budget - other things like that - might help you get recommendations that are appropriate....Certain brands are known for different fits - slimmer or wider in various places....

Column shape....$0- $200. Or more depending on the jeans. Size 29. Inseam 31". Right now my favorite pair of jeans is Lucky Brand Lolita Capri. I'm having a hard time finding a pair that does not need a belt thanks to the dreaded stupid back gap. Or they simply just slip down over my hips. Or it pushes my mommy belly up and out for the dreaded muffin top look if I go with a higher waist. .

I hate jeans shopping.

Love jeans. Hate shopping for them.

Hoyaheel Feb 18, 2016 11:54 am

I'm going to get all "What Not to Wear" on you: GET A TAILOR.

A tailor can turn a $50 pair of jeans into the PERFECT jeans for you - by taking in the waistband or whatever else needs to be fixed.

I'm short but NOT petite, so I always have to have pants hemmed. I have a large chest, so I need to get blazers & shirts fixed on occasion too (though I've mostly stopped wearing jackets) A tailor is my best friend. Leaving Salt Lake City 25 years ago - the worst part was leaving the best tailor I've ever had (good, fast, and cheap - no one else has ever been the trifecta!:p)

Here is a NYDJ bootcut in a dark rinse at Nordstrom http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nydj-bil...esultback=1100

(free shipping & free returns, the brand goes on sale often, and as I mentioned earlier - can be found at Nordstrom Rack) The brand is designed for women who don't want the low low cut but don't want to be wearing "mom jeans" either (though those are back in style for a certain group of street style stars - blows my mind:eek:)

TravelLawyer Feb 18, 2016 11:59 am

I prefer Lucky Jeans. Second favorite are Levis. Both brands come in Short, Regular, and Long.

CBear Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel (Post 26206100)
I'm going to get all "What Not to Wear" on you: GET A TAILOR.

A tailor can turn a $50 pair of jeans into the PERFECT jeans for you - by taking in the waistband or whatever else needs to be fixed.

I'm short but NOT petite, so I always have to have pants hemmed. I have a large chest, so I need to get blazers & shirts fixed on occasion too (though I've mostly stopped wearing jackets) A tailor is my best friend. Leaving Salt Lake City 25 years ago - the worst part was leaving the best tailor I've ever had (good, fast, and cheap - no one else has ever been the trifecta!:p)

Here is a NYDJ bootcut in a dark rinse at Nordstrom http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nydj-bil...esultback=1100

(free shipping & free returns, the brand goes on sale often, and as I mentioned earlier - can be found at Nordstrom Rack) The brand is designed for women who don't want the low low cut but don't want to be wearing "mom jeans" either (though those are back in style for a certain group of street style stars - blows my mind:eek:)

Those are nice. ^