Help me find some jeans!

Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Just looked at those, since the back gap is always an issue for me. However, every pair is a "skinny leg" design, which I absolutely hate. I am short, and although I'm not fat by any stretch of the imagination, I am not a size 0 and feel like I look awful in skinny, butt-hugging jeans. I like straight leg and a slightly loose-fitting seat, but it seems like no one has made jeans in that design for the last 15 years. (Which is why I am still wearing some pants that I bought 15 years ago!)
That's too bad - the ones I have are the straight leg, not skinny leg, and they fit like pajamas.

That's the other problem I find with things like jeans...you find a pair that fits, and then they go and change up the sizing/fit/cut. Grrr.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:24 pm

For size 16 and up...

If you have a fuller figure, consider Catherine's, either online or retail. They make at least 4 different cuts of jeans, and I found ones that fit me perfectly - no back gap! (I ordered back-up pairs in 3 colors just in case they change the fit). If they don't work for you, the company has a good return policy, and even better, very often they run promos like "buy one, get second pair 50% off" - an inducement to stock up if there ever was one!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:45 am

Lands Ends and NYDJ

I've been pleasantly surprised by Lands End jeans. They have boot cut and straight leg mid-rise with a little stretch in dark and lighter washes, and sometimes colors or prints for a change-up. I like that you can choose your length. I also love the fit of Not Your Daughter's Jeans (NYDJ) but they do run long on me. More expensive than Lands End but they can often be found on sale at Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: BA GfL
I have to say I am embarrassed just to try on NYDJ. Maybe if they had no tags...I am 48 years old but I still need to know that I can wear non-mom-jeans.

Depending on how much coin the OP wants to drop on jeans, I bought two pairs of Escada jeans about six months ago and (with tailoring) they fit really nicely. I bought them at a sample sale for ~$50 each but I think they go for about $600 retail. Easily findable online for dramatically less. Escada used to make all their pants really high-waisted, but they have changed their ways and now make mid-rise also; their clientele is "of a certain age" (i.e. my age) and the pants fit that demographic's shape, although stylishly.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:28 am

I love the Prana "Kara" Jeans which are skinny fit, but they make a similar model "Jada" that is bootcut. They don't gap on me, have some stretch to them and are the best fitting jeans I've ever owned. I have multiple pairs in different washes/colors. The only drawback (which is true of all jeans with spandex IMHO) is that they do stretch out after a couple of wears and you have to wash them to get them to "tighten" up again.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I have to say I am embarrassed just to try on NYDJ. Maybe if they had no tags...I am 48 years old but I still need to know that I can wear non-mom-jeans.

Depending on how much coin the OP wants to drop on jeans, I bought two pairs of Escada jeans about six months ago and (with tailoring) they fit really nicely. I bought them at a sample sale for ~$50 each but I think they go for about $600 retail. Easily findable online for dramatically less. Escada used to make all their pants really high-waisted, but they have changed their ways and now make mid-rise also; their clientele is "of a certain age" (i.e. my age) and the pants fit that demographic's shape, although stylishly.
I've been shopping at their outlet and have gotten some really good deal.s Their clothes fit me almost perfectly, though they are a bit pricey, even at the outlet. The jeans are usually around $200 there.

There used to be one closer to my home, but the nearest now is in Woodbury Commons, but they will ship if you know what you want.

Last edited by Mary2e; Feb 25, 2016 at 9:04 am Reason: arghhh wrong word :(
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:39 am

I regularly go through the Escada outlet at Woodbury on my pilgrimages there, but they also have sample sales in Manhattan twice a year (Mary2e, sign up for the Lazar Shopping sample sale e-mails to get notified of these). Way cheaper than the outlet.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:02 am

Hmmm... thank you. I'll do that since I'm in the city every day anyway.

There used to be a store at the Jersey Shore outlets but they closed it after a year or so
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:44 pm

Before I retired I spent 3-4 days a month in NY and could fairly easily plan my work travel around the upcoming sample sales Now that I have to spend my own money for train tickets, I'm more choosy about which sales I'll come to town for, but I still do it!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:04 pm

^^^

I signed up with Lazar. Years ago I worked in a building with a manufacturer and they used to allow building employee in to their sales before everyone else. I think it was a small accessory manufacturer. I seem to recall lots of ties, belts, etc They also let us at the leftovers after the sale and we paid next to nothing for them. I haven't been to one in years.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I stumbled upon Liverpool Jeans yesterday. Tried it on, loved it. I've gotten two random compliments so far today.^^

I'm glad I saw them in person first, because they look a lot better than on their website. It's a very nice dark wash.

http://www.liverpooljeans.com/lucy-b...l?path=152_158

ETA: Nordstrom is better.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/liverpoo...resultback=684
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Help me find some jeans!

I am beginning to love high wasted jeans again. I wear the banana premium denim version which comes on either skinny or straight.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:33 pm

I do not size down in NYDJ because I do not want my tummy held in, I want to be comfortable. Talbots has wonderful jeans that don't depend on stretch for a comfortable fit. The waist doesn't gap and you can sit down without the waist band digging in. Many of their styles are offered in Long.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Help me find some jeans!

Nordstrom first choice is NYDJ Other favorites are Lauren by Ralph Lauren and Anne Taylor. For traveling black pants Eileen Fisher Essentials have been my go to pant in four sizes (I love them) over many years.
I second the need for a good tailor - makes all the difference
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I have been searching for years for great jeans-with limited success. A year or so ago I tried on some AG Jeans out of desperation (they were out of my price range). They fit beautifully and I loved them so much that I saved up to buy them. They are my favorite jeans and I recently bought another pair in a new fabric called "Contour". Super stretchy and comfortable yet hold their shape. Worth every penny!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.