Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
C'mon - that's just doing what the fashion mags are telling us and taking our summer clothing into fall, right? ;-)
It was in the 90's when we were in London!

I couldn't imagine wearing lightweight nylons in that heat, let alone heavyweight tights/leggings.

I would maybe do it with black/black, but probably not red.....And not eyelet or linen....
Red eyelet, fitted bodice, skater skirt. Almost identical dresses every time I saw it.

Now, if you'd like to try that with a midweight rayon or knit, elbow sleeves and a dark print, I'd give it ^.

p.s. haven't bought a "fashion magazine" in at least 20 years. either you're a leader or a follower
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I love fashion magazines!! Almost never for the clothing, however ;-)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

It's October. The weather is changing.

My last public outing (beyond the grocery store or gym) I wore black jeans, a Coldwater Creek classic button-down in blue-grey, a nylon windbreaker. Oh, and black sandals because they're incredibly comfortable and I was going to be on my feet for 3+ hours.

Today I get the fashion update email from Bloomies (how did I get on that list? ).

Recurring theme in outfits they are showing: cropped, frayed tatter jeans with spike heals. Not even when I was 17...

First one, they top the frayed crops with a white tank (think wifebeater style) and a purple faux fur jacket.

Next outfit: a multi-layered spotted ruffled "mini dress" over super skinny torn jeans, with, you guessed it, spike heels.

Next outfit: an off the shoulder velvet top that looks like it was made from the curtains of the Beauty Parlor where Mom used to get her hair done, super skinny torn jeans and glitter coated high heel boots.

Is Bloomies a publicly traded stock? I'd consider a short sale if it were.

What you wearing?

Last edited by CDTraveler; Jul 1, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:14 am

Wife beater & purple faux fur, eh? I also saw some croc/sandals in one of the Fashionista (blog) emails I got this week (shown by a major fashion label - can't remember which, because UGH I would never)

We're still having warm days & cool nights in NC. Still wearing open-toe shoes (and, I must admit, my birkenstocks, because plantar fasciitis) but some long sleeves have been worn as well, and the linen has been put away for the season. I'm being very boring with a slim pant & long sweater over as my regular silhouette....

Getting ready for a trip to Seattle (my first time) at the beginning of November. So, waterproof. Layers. And comfy shoes?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Getting ready for a trip to Seattle (my first time) at the beginning of November. So, waterproof. Layers. And comfy shoes?
After rain, Seattle's second favorite thing is steep hills, followed closely by chopped up pavement. Your ankles will thank you for packing according.

There's a reason so many of the natives wear Dr. Martens.
gungadin and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I am in NO where it is still warm (almost hot) during the day and cooling off at night (high 50's to 60's). Planning to be in Portland and Eugene Oregon in a few weeks-mid November. I will be participating in a workshop so attire will likely be casual and comfortable. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:52 am

I still own the Doc Martens I bought in 1992, but my feet don't find them as comfortable as I used to. Wonder if my innersoles would fit?

I was planning to bring ankle boots (Keen, so thick & supportive sole) and probably a goretex walking shoe.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by travelmom4
I am in NO where it is still warm (almost hot) during the day and cooling off at night (high 50's to 60's). Planning to be in Portland and Eugene Oregon in a few weeks-mid November. I will be participating in a workshop so attire will likely be casual and comfortable. Any suggestions?
My general rule is that I have one wardrobe - I'm "me" (my style) no matter where I am. I just adjust to climate and appropriateness for setting (whether that's a cultural/modesty expectation or a job-related expectation).

If you were attending this workshop in NO, what would you wear? Now, looking at PDX weather averages in November....(50-55 during the day, mid 30s-40F at night) maybe you need heavier pants, merino sweater instead of cotton? Socks with your shoes/boots (I will go sockless year round if I can get away with it ;-) It will probably rain, and maybe get cold? (I can't remember what La Nina does on the west coast - I'm in NC so I know our winter is supposed to be warmer & dryer than usual...) Bring a raincoat. Maybe a 3 part jacket (fleece & waterproof layers that can be worn individually or together).
https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...or0275/2015/11

(I don't know Eugene as well but averages appear to be similar to Portland https://weatherspark.com/m/402/11/Av...-United-States )

Check the forecast before you leave and adjust accordingly. Sounds great!!!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmom4
Portland = Seattle with less caffeine

Natural fibers, waterproof outer layer. Sturdy walking shoes.

Oregon doesn't really "do" high fashion.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Portland = Seattle with less caffeine

Natural fibers, waterproof outer layer. Sturdy walking shoes.

Oregon doesn't really "do" high fashion.
It's interesting...the influx of Californians to PDX has meant that you get a lot more trendy clothing than you used to. It looks a bit more like LA than PDX. With that having been said, I resist, and continue to wear my Patagonia Better Sweater, fleece lined jeans and Keens.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Thanks of the tips. I have also reached the point where I am "me" wherever I travel-I just make a few tweaks here and there. My young adult daughter sometimes wants me to try the latest trends but I know what is flattering and comfortable-or not. Probably good advice to simply add a layer or two (and something waterproof), a scarf and some warm socks.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Wife beater & purple faux fur, eh? I also saw some croc/sandals in one of the Fashionista (blog) emails I got this week (shown by a major fashion label - can't remember which, because UGH I would never)
Crocs are hideous, but extremely comfortable. There is a time and place for them - my kid the lifeguard wore them all summer at work, I wear them to the beach and sometimes when running errands in that wonder of wonders, summer rain deluges when parking lots have 2 inches of streaming water.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:51 am

I have a pair of croc flip flops I wear when I go to get a pedicure. I also have 2 pr non-croc plastic garden clogs (one at the front door, one in the garage) that are literally for gardening and nothing else. I only have them because they get muddy & rinse off easily ;-) My husband loves them, though, and is bummed that I never let him wear his camo pair in public

They were Balenciaga crocs in the newsletter I got. Ugh.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/article/balenciaga-crocs
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:26 am

Danskos are also apparently "in" right now, which is fine by me. I've been wearing them for years, and will continue to wear them after they're no longer cool...
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:33 am

I feel that way about Birkenstocks. I do have some Danskos, but I can't wear the traditional clog - I fall off I was surprised to see so many pairs when I popped in to my "local' Nordstrom Rack last week.....

But then, I've never claimed to be a fashionista

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.