Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelmom4
Thank you, Hoyaheel (can you be a Tarheel and a Hoya simultaneously?) for the link to the Vivienne Files. I have explored the travel capsule wardrobe idea in the past but, for some reason, the way she describes it makes more sense to me than most. Perhaps it is simply that her style is somewhat similar to mine so I can see myself in those outfits.

I'm with you on knit dresses-they are the best when the temp is high and you feel pulled together. I think that you are right about avoiding white. I have a favorite pair of white linen pants which I may be able to find in navy and that might do the trick.
The one piece of advice I will give you is, if you are going to the Basque Country, temperatures there, even in summer, are spring-like (70s) by day, and dip into the low 50s (and even into the 40s) by night. The closest I can think of is San Francisco, I guess. Bring clothes that you can layer, and keep the layering pieces in your bag. There is nothing less pleasant than having to cut the evening short because you are uncomfortably cold.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Originally Posted by ysolde
The one piece of advice I will give you is, if you are going to the Basque Country, temperatures there, even in summer, are spring-like (70s) by day, and dip into the low 50s (and even into the 40s) by night. The closest I can think of is San Francisco, I guess. Bring clothes that you can layer, and keep the layering pieces in your bag. There is nothing less pleasant than having to cut the evening short because you are uncomfortably cold.
We will be in the Basque country in early/mid July, Ysolde. Might it be cool (by New Orleans standards) as you describe at that time of year? This is going to be even more of a packing challenge than I expected!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
One can be an alum of many places if you just keep going back for more degrees

If you are trying to pack light, being willing to do laundry is key, and packing pretty much only pieces that go together (which is why I like Janice's "Whatever's Clean wardrobe templates when I try to pack light) I'm not making a judgement on packing light or not - I can and have done both, depending on where I'm going & what I'm doing.

That said, it's not impossible to pack light and still be able to survive 50-90 degree temps (30-90 might be a little harder - for me at least)

If 50 is pretty cool for you where you want a jacket, bring one (I would be ok with a cardigan over a tee - maybe a long sleeve tee if it's windy - but I also travel with 2-3 scarves and those usually keep me as warm as I need to be) Shoes you can wear with socks (for temp or for walking) is an individual issue to consider. Most of the time I wear walking sandals that can take a beating and keep going (my favorites are dansko that aren't made any more and I'm screwed when I finally kill them!) If the Superga shoe you posted fits you and is comfortable for lots of walking - go for it. Sneakers of all types are all over the world (stylishly so) on people of all ages. I personally don't wear sneakers often - they're hard for me to fit well.

I try to bring 2-4 tops per bottom - much easier to wash & dry a top overnight as needed too. Although it would be logical to bring skirts instead of dresses, I prefer to wear dresses, so that's what I pack. And again - if I need to do laundry in the sink to dry overnight, that's fine.

Have fun preparing for this trip!!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelmom4
We will be in the Basque country in early/mid July, Ysolde. Might it be cool (by New Orleans standards) as you describe at that time of year? This is going to be even more of a packing challenge than I expected!
In the Basque Country? Yes, without a doubt. The Basque Country is cool (especially as compared to NOLA), and you will need some warming layers if you are going to enjoy your time there. Just remember that no one will care if you are wearing the same cardigan or sweater over your outfit for a few days.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:32 pm

Hoyaheel: Thank you for the Vivienne file link. -- I still have my original 'capsule dressing' books and "color me Beautiful" books!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Brief fashion report, UK outing: florals are in!

Gauzey skirts, blouses, dresses - summery colors, dainty floral prints were the dominate fashion statement in London and York. Possibly this was tied the unpleasantly warm weather. Hems are high, legs are bare, and most tops are sleeveless.

Dresses: saw a far higher percentage of dresses in all the cities we visited than I see in the Mid-Atlantic region.

What are ladies seeing in their hometowns?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:46 pm

I just got emails from both Selfridges and Liberty showing flowy floral sundresses, so that sounds about right. I am a Liberty print addict, so I'm sitting here in LA wearing a Liberty print dress (but I'd probably be doing that whether it's in fashion or not, lol).
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Dresses: saw a far higher percentage of dresses in all the cities we visited than I see in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Really? We were in NYC 2 weeks ago and I saw tons of dresses (presumably for work as I saw them on commuters...)

It's one of "those" weeks here in NC (temp high 90s every day, heat index around 120F) so I've been in cotton knit or linen dresses every day for work. Since I work on a university campus, I see everything from exercise capris & sports bras to suits & ties. But lots of my female co-workers wear skirts & dresses, sleeveless shirts with a scarf or cardigan for the a/c. My new officemate is fond of the slim bodice/full skirt dress- and it looks great on her!

ETA - I consider NC the South. But some maps have us as mid-Atlantic - and for some weather, we certainly are....
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Really? We were in NYC 2 weeks ago and I saw tons of dresses (presumably for work as I saw them on commuters...)

It's one of "those" weeks here in NC (temp high 90s every day, heat index around 120F) so I've been in cotton knit or linen dresses every day for work. Since I work on a university campus, I see everything from exercise capris & sports bras to suits & ties. But lots of my female co-workers wear skirts & dresses, sleeveless shirts with a scarf or cardigan for the a/c. My new officemate is fond of the slim bodice/full skirt dress- and it looks great on her!

ETA - I consider NC the South. But some maps have us as mid-Atlantic - and for some weather, we certainly are....
I don't consider NYC Mid-Atlantic. It's a galaxy all its own.

Downtown Philly lately I've seen far more women in pants/capris/shorts than dresses. Friday I was on a college campus all day and saw very few dresses, possibly due to miserably hot/muggy/rainy weather.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:15 pm

I lived in dc a few years and last time I was there I saw low of younger women in dresses. Older in skirt suits. Still can't remember lots of pants in mid-summer.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I lived in dc a few years and last time I was there I saw low of younger women in dresses. Older in skirt suits. Still can't remember lots of pants in mid-summer.
This thread isn't meant to be a definite statement on what is or isn't happening, it's just various people's personal observations.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:11 pm

I work in downtown Cleveland. Lately I've seen everything from suits on women to just rolled out of bed look. I, myself dress business very casual in the summer. On Fridays basically anything but distressed (ripped/torn) jeans are allowed, but of course many coworkers do wear them.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

A look I really don't understand...

I first saw this in London and now again in Philadelphia and I just don't get it:

Who came up with idea to wear a bright red, sleeveless eyelet dress with heavy, opaque black tights?

I must have seen that combo 20 times in a week in London, and now it has crossed the Atlantic!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:51 pm

Oh, funny you should say this - I just saw this look for the first time here in Boulder. Sleeveless, short, lightweight black dress with opaque black tights.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:49 am

C'mon - that's just doing what the fashion mags are telling us and taking our summer clothing into fall, right? ;-)

I would maybe do it with black/black, but probably not red.....And not eyelet or linen....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.