Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Pretty much as little as possible at home.
The yards here aren't fenced, so I have to at least put on shorts and a tank before going outside to garden. Otherwise the neighbors would see more than they should.

And here's my lazy/TMI - I take an epsom salts bath on Sunday night. So relaxing after a weekend gardening and being lazy. I shave. I wear a short dress Monday, possibly Tuesday. Long dress Wednesday and pants (linen now) on Thursday. And Friday I work from home. I'm really lazy when it comes to shaving this year. I know a lot of women shave every day. I can barely make it twice a week ;-) [there are weeks I'll shave Thursday morning, then wear shorts for a pedicure on Friday too, so....]
Nair Sensitive with Coconut Oil.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Depilatories don't work well on me, but I have the same issue - I'm just too lazy. It's not like shaving is hard, expensive, painful, OR time consuming. I just don't feel like it ;-)

I did laser removal on my bikini and underarms a couple years ago - worked great on my bikini, so-so on my underarm. If I were convinced it would work extremely well, I'd do on my legs for sure ;-)

As for being outside - I do live in the middle of nowhere and my closest neighbors can't see me when I'm in back of my house (don't think they can see in front of my house either, but if I'm in the back, at least I can hear when the UPS driver starts down the gravel drive ;-) I appreciate that!

Today at work - cotton maxi dress (JJill), linen cardigan, black birkenstocks.....
Old May 17, 2020, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

RUFFLES everywhere!

Anybody else been spending extra time browsing online lately and noticed that ruffles are everywhere!

I didn't like ruffles on clothing when I was 6 years old, I like them even less now. It's not just dresses with ruffles, it's shirts, sweaters, skirts, shorts, even denim jeans with ruffles! Anyone else remember white anklets with a ruffle of lace, the kind that always slid down into your shoes and gave you blisters?

It has gotten to the point where I bought fabric and a pattern to make a ruffle-free summer skirt seeing as I'm doing a lot of sewing anyway lately, making masks for sale. Started doing it for friends, got so many requests for them that I've been selling them. Keeps me from getting bored .

How are you all handling dressing for #WFH ?
gretchendz likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Anybody else been spending extra time browsing online lately and noticed that ruffles are everywhere!

I didn't like ruffles on clothing when I was 6 years old, I like them even less now. It's not just dresses with ruffles, it's shirts, sweaters, skirts, shorts, even denim jeans with ruffles! Anyone else remember white anklets with a ruffle of lace, the kind that always slid down into your shoes and gave you blisters?

It has gotten to the point where I bought fabric and a pattern to make a ruffle-free summer skirt seeing as I'm doing a lot of sewing anyway lately, making masks for sale. Started doing it for friends, got so many requests for them that I've been selling them. Keeps me from getting bored .

How are you all handling dressing for #WFH ?
I am a housewife, so I don't work in the sense you do. For Zoom calls and the like, I tend to wear a nice sweater or blouse under a jacket (in my case, usually knit, which is what I have in my wardrobe, lots of St John Knits, because they travel well, sigh). During the pandemic, I have become partial to dresses, and sometimes, even during Zoom calls, I have worn a nice St. John Knits day dress because it is just easy to put on and get ready for my call. I think my style is evolving. In summer, for everyday, I am keeping it to my usual 3/4 length sleeve t-shirts and jeans. If it is exceptionally hot, I will wear my Lily Pulitzer dresses (usually reserved for outdoor brunches and cruises and the like because they have built-in SPF/UPF), and even sometimes just longer Hanro cotton loungewear with 3/4 sleeves. In terms of shoes, I tend to wear slippers -- the kinds of things that won't damage the floors on the day to day (though we never ask visitors to take off their shoes -- that always seems too much to us). Honestly, the pandemic has brought out the chill in me. Most days, I'm not going for style, just for comfort and enjoyment of the little pleasures.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
I am a housewife, so I don't work in the sense you do. For Zoom calls and the like, I tend to wear a nice sweater or blouse under a jacket (in my case, usually knit, which is what I have in my wardrobe, lots of St John Knits, because they travel well, sigh). During the pandemic, I have become partial to dresses, and sometimes, even during Zoom calls, I have worn a nice St. John Knits day dress because it is just easy to put on and get ready for my call. I think my style is evolving. In summer, for everyday, I am keeping it to my usual 3/4 length sleeve t-shirts and jeans. If it is exceptionally hot, I will wear my Lily Pulitzer dresses (usually reserved for outdoor brunches and cruises and the like because they have built-in SPF/UPF), and even sometimes just longer Hanro cotton loungewear with 3/4 sleeves. In terms of shoes, I tend to wear slippers -- the kinds of things that won't damage the floors on the day to day (though we never ask visitors to take off their shoes -- that always seems too much to us). Honestly, the pandemic has brought out the chill in me. Most days, I'm not going for style, just for comfort and enjoyment of the little pleasures.
The shoe thing is funny since my cultural background is shoes-off indoors. Now my relatives often have house shoes or slippers at home and still take off shoes when visiting others (in times not-COVID). I admit that I have house slingback Crocs (slimmer than clog style but still nothing I'd wear for a walk outside).

Duly warned about ruffles. No thanks here, too. I've started looking about to add a few things to my WFH winter wardrobe and will likely get some more long sleeve merino, round neck no-collar down vest/jacket layer, and Uniqlo heat tech, especially waist warmers since we don't heat the house during the winter. My area is bearable without heater by adding a few layers and I dislike dealing with heater induced nose bleeds, dry skin, and odd temperature induced sneezes. I did get a humidifier last year and will be adding an aromatherapy style one to my desk at home. I bought couple pairs of sweats and lounge pants in March but mostly save them for "not working" times. Added a pair of elastic waist Uniqlo 2-way stretch pants which are great if you are sitting most of the time (though I'm petite so ankle length almost hits my regular inseam). It is ridiculously hot right now but I've taken to buying things in advance since fulfillment and shipping challenges abound.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Dressing for an outing in a pandemic

Have you ever sat down to put your shoes on and realized you have a crying need for light purple socks?

Seriously, when one has barely left the house since March 6, getting dressed for an October outing matters. Normally this time of year I'd be making a couple overnight trips to NYC and attending a 4 day conference in DC. This year it's exciting to leave my suburb and go downtown Philly for an appointment. I pulled out a favorite pair of dark purple slacks, white top & light purple cardigan, but I have no socks to match!

Maybe my Secret Santa will bring me some. If you're not in the FT Secret Santa program, why not? Go look at it in the Community forum. Participating in it will give you something to look forward to, a novel sensation in 2020.

(and for those about to YELL that there are more important things to worry about this year than socks, I say I have already cast my ballot for the presidential election and I've been making and selling COVID masks since March. I come here for a breather from the news)
gretchendz, Hoyaheel and ysolde like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:51 am

Seeing pop up ads for clothes that are cute and cheap . Always from Chinese companies that have consistently terrible reviews. Haven’t been shopping except for groceries in months. This morning I opened one of these sites, Lilicloth, and actually put 5 items in the shopping bag. Covid is really getting to me if I actually purchase
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Seeing pop up ads for clothes that are cute and cheap . Always from Chinese companies that have consistently terrible reviews. Haven’t been shopping except for groceries in months. This morning I opened one of these sites, Lilicloth, and actually put 5 items in the shopping bag. Covid is really getting to me if I actually purchase
Pop-up and ad blockers are a great way to stay out of mischief.

I actually bought a piece of clothing* in a store today, first time since last December. I did a long, just-get-out-of-the-house drive today, 55 miles on country roads, and came across an outlet store for my preferred brand of jeans. They require masks, dowse your hands with hand sanitizer when you enter, and employees remind customers to wear their masks properly, so I lingered long enough to grab a pair of much needed new jeans.

*no, not the coveted light purple socks.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Scrunchies are BACK!

Thank you, Dr. Biden!

It is again acceptable for grown women to go out in public with their hair in a scrunchie. Seriously, how much time has anyone not prepping for a Zoom call spent fussing with their hair in the last 12 months? It's been next to impossible to get a haircut in many parts of the USA, so just keeping one's hair back and tidy rather than fussing with chemicals and electric appliances makes a lot of sense to me, especially as my kid gave me an assortment of lovely velvet scrunchies for Christmas!
Redhead, gretchendz and ysolde like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by freecia
The shoe thing is funny since my cultural background is shoes-off indoors. Now my relatives often have house shoes or slippers at home and still take off shoes when visiting others (in times not-COVID). I admit that I have house slingback Crocs (slimmer than clog style but still nothing I'd wear for a walk outside).
I am 1005 a shoes off in the house person and basically sandals or no shoes as much as I can. Sadly I broke my foot in November and have been ordered by the doctor to keep stiff arch-supporting shoes on for the next several months - even in the house. It is killing me! I've worked from home for 14+ years and never wear shoes if I can avoid it. Ugh.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Thank you, Dr. Biden!

It is again acceptable for grown women to go out in public with their hair in a scrunchie. Seriously, how much time has anyone not prepping for a Zoom call spent fussing with their hair in the last 12 months? It's been next to impossible to get a haircut in many parts of the USA, so just keeping one's hair back and tidy rather than fussing with chemicals and electric appliances makes a lot of sense to me, especially as my kid gave me an assortment of lovely velvet scrunchies for Christmas!
This is why I keep my hair as short as possible. I hate styling it. But I was a scrunchie woman all the time when I had long hair. My hair was in a ponytail 90% of the time anyways - so I cut it all off and have given my hairdresser strict instructions to never let me grow it again
gretchendz and CDTraveler like this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Funny thing @Redhead... pre Covid I never had my hair long enough for a ponytail. During Covid, and never leaving the house, I got so used to it that when I went back to my hairdresser (after I got vaccinated--yay!) I had him keep a bit longer than usually so I can keep pony tailing as I want. To each her own
Redhead, freecia and CDTraveler like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Funny thing @Redhead... pre Covid I never had my hair long enough for a ponytail. During Covid, and never leaving the house, I got so used to it that when I went back to my hairdresser (after I got vaccinated--yay!) I had him keep a bit longer than usually so I can keep pony tailing as I want. To each her own
To each her own indeed. One reason I hate the fashion industry - let women do and wear what feels right and comfortable to them!
gretchendz and ysolde like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'm just finding my way back to FT - I've been so bummed about not traveling this past year, I couldn't come here and read since last spring. I've literally barely left the house once a month for groceries. (super thankful to be able to work easily from home!!!) I haven't had a haircut since Feb 2020. Haven't colored my hair since....I don't even know when. Jan 2020 maybe? Lots of french twists for me! Though I now have weird waves that I never had before a couple years ago - this past year has really been an experiment to see what my hair wants to do.

I found myself online shopping yesterday (Nordstrom spring sale and Eileen Fisher ReFresh websites ;-) but decided I do not need clothing. I still need to get rid of things I started trying to clean out last year..... My fashion style continues to streamline - summer tank dresses (though I have new caftans for this year!) and lean cardigans over slim pants for cooler temps. There will be no ruffles for me ;-)

We have a trip booked - Galapagos - Dec 21 - we'll see if that's still a go, and/or if we feel ok to do anything else in 2021. I'll get my first vaccine in a couple weeks, hubs had his 1st and gets his 2nd just before I get my first....
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Welcome Back

I'm just finding my way back to FT - I've been so bummed about not traveling this past year, I couldn't come here and read since last spring. I've literally barely left the house once a month for groceries. (super thankful to be able to work easily from home!!!) I haven't had a haircut since Feb 2020. Haven't colored my hair since....I don't even know when. Jan 2020 maybe? Lots of french twists for me! Though I now have weird waves that I never had before a couple years ago - this past year has really been an experiment to see what my hair wants to do.

I found myself online shopping yesterday (Nordstrom spring sale and Eileen Fisher ReFresh websites ;-) but decided I do not need clothing. I still need to get rid of things I started trying to clean out last year..... My fashion style continues to streamline - summer tank dresses (though I have new caftans for this year!) and lean cardigans over slim pants for cooler temps. There will be no ruffles for me ;-)

We have a trip booked - Galapagos - Dec 21 - we'll see if that's still a go, and/or if we feel ok to do anything else in 2021. I'll get my first vaccine in a couple weeks, hubs had his 1st and gets his 2nd just before I get my first....
Things have been so different. Sometimes, I just buy a travel item so I can dream. I am vaccinated now which relieves the stress a bit. I am booking trips for later this year and beyond. But they are always refundable as we just don't know what path this all will take. Consider people dealing with the Spanish flu...no Netflix, no internet, no phones, just isolation o risk, and no vaccination to look forward to... Glad to "see" you back
Old Apr 7, 2021, 3:51 pm

I am also finding my way back! I was still here, but mainly in Omni. It was too depressing to look at the airline forums or even this forum. But, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic for travel. Last year was an extreme bummer - we cancelled 4 international trips, including our trip celebrating our 20th anniversary. We've booked international trips this year for July, September and December. I'll be thrilled if one of those works.
gretchendz, Hoyaheel and ysolde like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.