FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Women Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers-166/)
-   -   Is mascara a liquid? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women-travelers/1708660-mascara-liquid.html)

CDTraveler Sep 8, 2015 7:08 pm

Is mascara a liquid?

Is mascara a liquid in the world of the TSA?

Are pocket sized cans of Static Guard permitted? If so, are they also liquid?

These, and similarly idiotic questions, one must ponder when attempting to travel carry-on only for a business trip.

I hate packing light!

gretchendz Sep 8, 2015 8:28 pm

Not idiotic

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 25396276)

These, and similarly idiotic questions, one must ponder when attempting to travel carry-on only for a business trip.

I hate packing light!

Right after 9/11, mascara seemed to be a liquid, but I have not had a problem with it in a LONG time.

Not sure about the Static Guard. If small enough you can always run it through in a baggie to be sure.

fwoomp Sep 9, 2015 10:08 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz (Post 25396683)
Right after 9/11, mascara seemed to be a liquid, but I have not had a problem with it in a LONG TIME.

At least 90% of the time, I forget to pull mine out and put it in my magic baggie. Either they've never noticed or never cared, because nothing's happened.

CDTraveler Sep 9, 2015 10:19 am

The TSA was so busy spazzing out over my opt-out that they never actually noticed my second bag of "liquids".

Pup7 Sep 10, 2015 9:42 am

I carry a travel sized bottle of aerosol hairspray (in a metal can) with no problems. Stick the Static Guard in your 311 bag and use the super small travel size one. (And I fly carry on only all the time.)

I haven't put mascara in a 311 bag in ages. I honestly don't think they can see what it is on xray.

edcaya Sep 10, 2015 6:48 pm

I don't think I've ever put mascara in a 3-1-1 baggie.

Hoyaheel Sep 11, 2015 7:21 am

I don't wear mascara but I do wear liquid eyeliner. My intention is always to put it in the 3-1-1 bag, but sometimes I forget and it stays in the makeup & jewelry bag. This has never been "caught" or questioned. Worst case scenario is I put the tube in the 3-1-1 bag if asked by screeners....

So my answer is "yes, mascara is a liquid"....but not usually a problem to TSA.

(note that I am extra careful when going through non-US security heading back to US, as those screeners are often FAR more strict than in the US - their reading of US rules is usually the explanation I get if I'm able to ask)

tlvancouver Sep 14, 2015 10:25 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 25396276)

I hate packing light!

I had static guard confiscated from my 311 bag. It was the proper size etc. but didn't meet the need of "personal item" as it was for "laundry". It was as stupid an interpretation as I've ever heard but apparently is supported by the rules in Canada. Craziness.

fwoomp Sep 14, 2015 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tlvancouver (Post 25423266)
I had static guard confiscated from my 311 bag. It was the proper size etc. but didn't meet the need of "personal item" as it was for "laundry". It was as stupid an interpretation as I've ever heard but apparently is supported by the rules in Canada. Craziness.

Oh, keeping your skirt from riding up due to static cling with your pantyhose (and thus, keeping your ... from hanging out) isn't "personal?"

Um, OK.

Also, curious how they feel about travel-sized bottles of laundry soap.

SkiAdcock Sep 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 25399597)
The TSA was so busy spazzing out over my opt-out that they never actually noticed my second bag of "liquids".

:D :D

SalishSea Sep 18, 2015 8:09 pm

I've gotten into the habit of keeping mascara and liquid eyeliner (both long and skinny)with the two pens and a pencil I travel keep in my purse and I've never had a problem in the US. The problem is going to be when I'm tired and absentmindedly line my eyes with a Sharpie. ;)

prmetime Sep 19, 2015 4:29 pm

According to the TSA app, it's to be in in a 3-1-1 bag.

GretchenW Dec 5, 2015 5:40 pm

TSA says allowable is 3.4 ounces or 100 mL of liquids placed in a quart-sized bag. :)