Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

I did it -- Two weeks in Europe with nothing but a 3-1-1 bag!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

I usually travel with beauty products in my 311 bag in my carry-on plus an extra toiletries bag in my husband's suitcase, which he checks. This time, I decided to try to downsize, and spend two weeks in Europe with nothing but the beauty products in my 3-1-1 bag, plus a single small make-up planner from Trish McEvoy. Success!!!!

I took nothing but samples of my usual products (which were more than enough for two weeks): Sisley eye and lip make-up remover (this comes in pre-moistened cotton swabs, in sealed packets, taking up very little room), La Mer cleanser, La Mer serum, Sisley Supremya La Nuit, La Mer eye cream, Trish McEvoy BB (no color, full-sized) for day, and a heavy Sisley cream for night. I had a travel toothbrush, a travel toothpaste, a travel dry shampoo, and a travel deodorant. I brought along a travel shower gel in case the ones provided by the hotels was not good, but most hotels had good or good enough products. I even had a rather large sample of a La Mer moisturizing mask to play with! I brought a small eau de parfum, too.

I kept make-up to a minimum (compact foundation, under-eye concealer, YSL touche éclat, a bit of cheek color, a bit of eye color, mascara, and light powder to set). Everything (including brushes) was in a small Trish McEvoy make-up planner.

I did not change up my make-up a whole lot from day to day (but did add eye make-up if we were going out to dinner). I don't do my own hair, so I didn't bring shampoo or hair products (just a brush and some bobby pins). I had my hair blown out professionally a couple of times, and used the dry shampoo in between. My shower cap was my best friend (just as it is at home).

I'm going to Europe for a month this fall, and I think I'll be doing it out of my 311 bag and my small make-up planner and nothing else again!!!!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I am impressed! Do you put any of your makeup in the 311 bag, or just run it all through separately in the planner? I am never quite sure what will be classified as a liquid...

What about body lotion? That's one of my largest items in my toiletry kit. I can't tolerate most hotel brands.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
I am impressed! Do you put any of your makeup in the 311 bag, or just run it all through separately in the planner? I am never quite sure what will be classified as a liquid...

What about body lotion? That's one of my largest items in my toiletry kit. I can't tolerate most hotel brands.
I got several samples of body lotion from La Mer and Sisley. And I replenished my Nivea hand cream samples in Germany (I keep those in my purse when I am not traveling, and they are great on the train and everyday during travel).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:50 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
I applaud you! I can't even do a weekend road trip without my full repertoire (and then some) for makeup/skincare/toiletries. As much as I claim to be a tomboy, there are some things where I *have* to be a girly girl about having. LOL
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:44 am

I did 10 days in Europe last year, but no doubt could have made it 14 easily. 1 oz squeeze bottles and small jars from the container store are my best friend! No need to lose the repertoire, just need smaller amounts. Those full bottles and jars last months at home, so downsize accordingly. Conditioner still is the thorn in my side for the largest bottle needed. I also use face wipes for travel instead of the face wash I use at home. Sunscreen is another issue, but most cruises and boating trips I check a bag anyway for snorkel/dive gear.

I don't put my mascara and lip glosses in my 3-1-1 bag and haven't had any issues yet. But I also have pre-check, so maybe that helps. I just keep them in my makeup bag.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks

I buy lotion when I get to my destination - I don't like the hotel stuff, either.

I used to bring far too many toiletries - now I save the little jars that Clinique and Estee Lauder give you when they have bonuses - I can get a 3 week supply of eye cream in the smaller jars and the same for face creams in the larger one. I also carry 2 oz of body oil in case I can't find lotion right away - it's unscented so I can mix it with the hotel stuff in a pinch.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:06 pm

Well done! You've inspired me to carry just Lancome's Absolu Voyage palette instead of the massive cosmetics pouch for my next work trip.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just for comparison - I've done three weeks in Europe with ... a comb.

Viva la difference!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by BigLar
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
I assume the man is behind the curtain because he has to rinse his clothes in the sink every day, not having brought another set, and is waiting for them to dry.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:43 pm

Maybe he's behind the curtain because he does not bring a toothbrush or toothpaste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.