Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

When to change name after getting married?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder

Hi, all. Writing on behalf of my fiancée.

She is a frequent traveler (AA EXP) and typically always has several tickets booked at any given time. I've read when searching this forum that after she changes her name, that traveling with the marriage certificate tends to satisfy any documentation requirement.

The posts I read, though, seemed to largely be from before the Global Entry/Pre Check era. Given that she has Global Entry, and by association Pre Check, is there anything special to consider regarding the timing of changing her name? It seems like both of these programs rely heavily on all documentation matching.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old May 26, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
How I did it:

1. Change driver's license first
2. Update your FF info
3. Start booking flights in new name
4. Use Global Entry card for the domestic tickets that were booked in old name
5. When you have a gap in international travel, apply for new passport & global entry name change.

Some of the reservations had to be manually credited by AA/DL/UA people (for name mismatch) but it all went through in the end.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I updated my SS card first, then DL and passport. But I didn't have any travel booked for a 2 month period after my honeymoon (honeymoon booked in maiden name, no worries there) so it worked out fine.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Great, thank you both!

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old May 31, 2015, 11:14 am

When I got GE the CBP agent suggested that, when the time came, I consider moving my maiden name to my middle name so my new name would be: First Maiden Married. He said it made it easier if I couldn't change all of my documents of FF programs at once. So far, so good! (I've been married for 14 months and my name has been officially changed via SS admin for 9 months.)

Rules are different state by state, but I had to change via SS first, then have my DL changed. I traveled for several months with my new ID (First Maiden Married) on tickets that were under my old name (First Maiden). The first few times I kept my passport with me with my old name, but I never had an issue. I did make sure my passport was updated along with those FF accounts before traveling internationally, but I still haven't changed every account over (wanted to wait for US and AA to merge).

Good luck, changing get my FF and hotel accounts was the biggest pain in the process!! Lots of faxing documents (who still faxes??)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by JMR1223
When I got GE the CBP agent suggested that, when the time came, I consider moving my maiden name to my middle name so my new name would be: First Maiden Married.
That is what I did - but I did it because I never liked my middle name and had too many "last names" (due to my mother's divorces, not my own)

I hadn't planned to change my name at all, but I live in a small town in the south so I was going to be Mrs Married Name no matter what my legal name is.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.