Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Designer work bag recommendations?

Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

Ladies, I need your help! I travel weekly (U.S., Europe and Asia) in an industry promoting luxury/high end brands. That said, I'm personally not a labels/luxury kind of gal -- I just got the best dress I've owned in a while at Old Navy. But I recognize the need to have a work bag (I fly with a carry on rollerboard and a bag with laptop, water, the essentials, etc) that reflects this industry. Can any of you recommend a designer bag that will fit the basics (Mac Air) and look stylish? I currently have a Kate Spade tote that is on its last legs.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Sadly, I do not live a designer bag lifestyle. A girl can dream though....
The blog Corporette has had several posts with bag recommendations (mostly aimed at Big Law but many corp types read it - and I do as well, though I'm in academia, not the corporate world)

http://corporette.com/about-corporette/top-posts/

(for me, I like a Tumi nylon tote for travel - lighter than leather, pretty durable)
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:47 pm

Recommendations would be highly dependent on your budget, IMHO.

I currently switch between an LV Epi Bourget City satchel, a Chanel Mademoiselle tote, and an MZ Wallace Sutton duffel.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:47 am

A Chanel GST would also fit a MBAir, or the currently worn-to-death Prada satchel which I see on every other girl.

I've also seen some good choices in Coach, though I'm unsure of their model names.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:55 pm

I have a Lo & Sons OMG bag I use for my work everyday bag. I got it for Christmas and I just love it. I also do not live the designer bag lifestyle (IT analyst) so for me spending more than $300 for a bag is too much. My OMG bag will fit a 13" MacBook Pro so it will definitely fit an Air.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
Do you want something that yells "luxury label" or something that says "luxury without the mass appeal/label"?

In the first category, I would put LV, Chanel, Prada, Longchamp. Check out purse forum.com for folks who are really into their handbags.

In the second category of bags that are not as immediately recognizable, except by handbag afficianados, I would put Bottega Veneta, Ferragamo, Tod's, Mulberry.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Starwood, One World
You could go with a softer brand like Mulberry. The quality is great but it's not a loud "luxury" screaming piece.

X Eva
Old May 1, 2015, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Ooh! Mulberry is a good suggestion. I would probably prefer something that doesn't necessarily yell "luxury label" (I can't stand Louis Vuitton bags with the obvious LV pattern, ugh) but the true criteria is what it can hold/how it closes/inside pockets/if it can go over my shoulder. I went to Nordstrom and did a lap through their accessories department and wasn't sold on anything offhand. I'll start googling some of these ideas!
Old May 5, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Tods, Philip lim pashli, longchamp 2.0 or heritage Roseau would be my choices. Epi neverfull mm would also work as a tote, but it may be mistaken as a MK tote.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:57 am

Goyard is a bit less recognized and distributed than LV. Marquises has a zip top and is canvas so it is lighter than leather.
http://www.extrapetite.com/2011/11/q...goyard-st.html

The Prada Lux Tote shape has become very popular and still has an open compartment which isn't my personal preference.
http://www.extrapetite.com/search?q=prada
Old May 15, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Have a look at Anya Hindmarch bags. I use her bags both for work and for play. Great quality, British designer but very subtle branding and much cooler than Mulberry. :-)
Old May 15, 2015, 10:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The most beautiful and functional bags are by Hester Van Eeghen, Amsterdam. Unfortunately, she recently closed her U.S. website. If you are planning on going to AMS. go to her shop. http://www.hestervaneeghen.com/

Last edited by Katja; May 21, 2015 at 7:49 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.