Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Knock wood, I haven't had a sunburn in quite a few years, but...I really like the products with pain killer in them! Like Lanacane...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Anyone else using pure Aloe Vera gel to treat sunburns? Currently traveling and had to settle for the sole "Apres Soleil" they had. Works ok, but the Aloe gel feels nicer. Not sure what "Aloe Vera Gel" is in French...
That'll be 'Gel ŕ l'aloe vera' or 'crčme ŕ l'aloe vera'. @:-)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've been using pure aloe vera for the last few days (first time in the pool this year and wasn't thinking and didn't reapply as often as I should). As I can't reach my back, I'm using a spray sunburn product but it doesn't feel as good as the pure aloe vera I'm putting on all the spots I can reach.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:30 am
Suspended

This is how bad it is:

Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I am SO sorry - that looks awful! I would go back to the Pharmacie and show the red to the pharmacist and ask for a painkiller and an anti-inflammatory!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:11 am
Suspended

I did go to the pharmacy and bought Aloe Vera gel, but unfortunately they did not have anything with lidocaine. I didn't quit understand the pharmacist, but I guess she said it was forbidden to sell it over the counter.
I still have to buy Ibuprofen or something similar.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Anyone else using pure Aloe Vera gel to treat sunburns? Currently traveling and had to settle for the sole "Apres Soleil" they had. Works ok, but the Aloe gel feels nicer. Not sure what "Aloe Vera Gel" is in French...
We use it and Solarcain.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
If you have crazy thick hair like I do, hotel hairdryers SUCK.

My very favorite travel hairdryer (the Drybar Baby Buttercup) is on sale through midnight tonight.

Details here:

http://jetsettershomestead.boardinga...ntil-midnight/
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
A little discovery. I really like face oils. I use one in the morning (Sisley's Black Rose Precious Face Oil), and alternate between Sunday Riley's Luna Sleeping Night Oil and the Black Rose Oil at night. All well and good, but the Black Rose Oil does not travel well. The bottle is just not a good shape, and I don't like the idea of decanting it.

I received a sample of Cellular Recovery Skin Bliss Capsules by Elemis (a silly name, I admit). The sample was enough for a week -- seven capsules for day and seven for night. I took them with me on a short (one week) trip. They did the job quite well, and, because the jar was compact and the capsules unbreakable, I was quite happy. I ordered a month's supply, for a month-long trip I have coming up. The jar is obviously much larger, but I can take the capsules out and pack them in a baggie, if need be. They will take up very little space that way.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:23 am

A few recommendations for sensitive skin:

Kiehl's Cactus and Tibetan Ginseng Hydrating Mist- I like this even better than Caudalie's Beauty Elixir, and I've had less problems with the spray bottle

Dr. Hauschka's Hydrating Face Mask-I put this on like moisturizer before I snooze on my trans-Pac flight and I wake with my face feeling amazing and so soft

and I love Bliss High Intensity Hand Cream...
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Nice thread.... I'm fairly low maintenance but have a few tricks up my sleeve

Splurge:
Shiseido Ibuki Beauty Sleeping Mask (splurge on space and cash, worth it)
Diorshow mascara primer and mascara

Steal:
perfume sample bottles from Sephora: I buy full size perfume once or twice a year and I don't pack it on trips, instead I collect the little sample bottles and stash a couple of them in the liquids bag (free and save space)
Lumene CC cream: it's a Finnish brand that I buy it in the grocery store ICA Maxi in Sweden and it's probably the least expensive foundation type product I've purchased in my life and I adore it. I'm incredibly pale and this stuff doesn't make me look weird. A tube lasts forever it seems. I know the brand is available worldwide but not which products. The one I use comes in a white and pink tube. It's amazing. I have tried... everything under the sun and it's either too expensive or ends up looking weird after awhile or I can't buy it regularly where I live. The only other makeup that worked well with me was the palest shade of BB cream from Tarte available at Sephora in the US (not the EU)
Tea tree oil: just any old bottle of plain tea tree oil for the inevitable pimples I get, not too expensive
Olive oil: removes eye makeup. All of it. Fast. Without driving me crazy. Also great to rub a teeny tiny bit into split ends if you've not had a haircut in awhile
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:30 pm

Better looking face protection

I finally found a face mask that looks a lot better and fits a lot better when trying to avoid germs and recycled air on flights. I cannot afford to get sick so find it very worth it to wear a mask when on board. They are a newer company and inexpensive. I also like that I only have to replace the filters and the mask itself doesn't have to get thrown away each time. It is called Style Seal. I think they are based out of Bangkok, actually.
AStarr likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brittany
I finally found a face mask that looks a lot better and fits a lot better when trying to avoid germs and recycled air on flights. I cannot afford to get sick so find it very worth it to wear a mask when on board. They are a newer company and inexpensive. I also like that I only have to replace the filters and the mask itself doesn't have to get thrown away each time. It is called Style Seal. I think they are based out of Bangkok, actually.
I get mine from Vogmask actually (pollution, sick people, allergies). Good to know there are more companies out there!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by AStarr
I get mine from Vogmask actually (pollution, sick people, allergies). Good to know there are more companies out there!
Thanks for the tip! I tried vogmask and found it very uncomfortable. At least there is something for everyone! I like the way the filters work with Style Seal. Happy with them, but please share if you find something else.
AStarr likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by ysolde
A little discovery. I really like face oils. I use one in the morning (Sisley's Black Rose Precious Face Oil), and alternate between Sunday Riley's Luna Sleeping Night Oil and the Black Rose Oil at night. All well and good, but the Black Rose Oil does not travel well. The bottle is just not a good shape, and I don't like the idea of decanting it.[...].
This is a very belated reply, but I, too, am a huge fan of Sunday Riley face oils (I use Juno). For travel, I decant it into an eyedrop dropper (like the very small ones from Visine), and it works perfectly. Nothing leaks, the small size fits perfectly into my toiletries bag, and I no longer have to travel without. I saw this tip on another travel web site, and it made my skin very, very happy, so I feel I must spread the good face oil news.

And on the topic of Sunday Riley, I will also put in a plug for Good Genes,* which is absolutely worth every penny. I've lost track how many times I've repurchased at this point, but it is a product that really, truly makes a noticeable difference. The bottle lasts a fairly long time (I think I rebuy twice a year?), as I only use it a couple nights a week, and it is magnificent when mixed with the Ceramic Slip cleanser to make a quick "flash facial." That also puts it, and Ceramic Slip (both of which I decant into small Muji bottles) in must-travel list, as it's perfect for reviving tired skin after long flights.

* Occasionally someone will claim that the Lactic Acid serum from The Ordinary, which sells for $6 or so, is a dupe for Good Genes. Alas, it is not. Not anywhere close. A lot of The Ordinary stuff is really good, but I will continue to shell out the $105 or whatever for Good Genes.
ysolde likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.