Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 11:22 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ysolde
If the products work for you and thr prices don't bother you, go for it.

Question for the board: need recs for a bb cream for palest of pale skin. One that doesn't run yellow. My undertones are blue. Any help? Thanks!
Miracle Skin Transformer comes in a translucent version.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:43 am

My steal is something I found in London last September. Boots Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Cleansing & Toning Wipes. Perfect if you have touchy skin that can't handle oily products but this also doesn't leave your skin too taut. I use them now on long haul flights to freshen up when I want to reapply makeup.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BaliParis
It's been a while since I've used a bb cream. I tried a Dr. Jart and it was nice. There are now several options, Water Fuse bb appears to be very light. Sephora carries Dr. Jart, so easy enough to check out color choices.
+1 for Dr. Jart. Same one I was going to recommend (Water Fuse and all).

Feels fantastic on. I have the opposite problem from you (usually the fairest shade available with strong yellow undertones). The product was amazing but the color was all wrong for my undertones. Just may be perfect for you!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Thank you for the BB cream recommendations, all! I have been wanting to try one this summer, since they seem, by some accounts, to stay on longer than tinted moisturizers.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:15 pm

If you're VIB Rouge from Sephora, you should be able to get a 100-point deluxe sample of the Alterna Caviar CC Cream. Not sure if the offer is available to all shoppers.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:22 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Rosebud Perfume Co.'s Smith's Rosebud Salve -- This is great for travel. Moisturizes, soothes, and adds just a hint of flattering color. Yes, a little gets on my fingers, so I rub it into my cuticles. You can't beat the price. Don't leave it in the car and not the best choice if you are going somewhere extremely hot (it can melt and make a mess in your purse). But that's extremely hot, like leaving it out in the sun all day at the beach in summer hot, not regular sightseeing in Italy in June hot.
I have loved the Rosebud Salve since I worked at JC Penney's. We had a Sephora inside our store and I *seriously* needed some chapstick/lip balm. I made my way into there and that's what the girls in there recommended. That's a must have for me. I have one by my bed, one at my computer and (possibly) one in my purse.

As for my splurges/steals:

Splurge:

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. I may or may not have used this as moisturizer in a pinch.

Steal:

Yes To Grapefruit Correct & Repair Brightening Facial Towelette. Not only do they cleanse well, they smell amazing!

And while this size isn't TSA friendly, I have found travel sized bottles of this at other stores: Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Refreshing Dry Shampoo.

Last edited by wsucougarchick05; Jul 9, 2015 at 10:30 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:39 am

If you're concerned about the environment, have chemical sensitivities or just want to minimize the number of liquids you carry, try this makeup eraser cloth. I've been using it for a month and love it....haven't missed my Kirkland/Costco (Neutragena knock off) wipes. Highly recommend!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
If you're concerned about the environment, have chemical sensitivities or just want to minimize the number of liquids you carry, try this makeup eraser cloth. I've been using it for a month and love it....haven't missed my Kirkland/Costco (Neutragena knock off) wipes. Highly recommend!
The Makeup-eraser cloth is similar to the Wonder Cloth. I like the Wonder Cloth.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Reviving this thread. Am in the midst of a one month trip to Europe with one carry-on, a personal item, and a purse (LH biz class rules). A new splurge: La Mer's facial oil (don't remember the exact name; will update later). Great under high and low end moisturizers. Perfect size and shape for 311 bag. New steal: Vichy SPF 50 facial sunblock. Plays well under every foundation I have tried, does not leave a white cast. Splurge: Guerlain Lingerie de Peau. Best foundation ever. Plus, it actually works with my pale, cool toned skin. 30 ml bottle. Steal: Lavera roll-on deodorant. Discovered in a German drugstore. Sensitive formula. Aluminum free. Plastic bottle.

In the middle: Quip toothbrush. Fits in my 311 bag better than my Sonicare, lasts the whole trip, no yuckiness issues, they send the replacement brush heads and toothpaste (including travel sized). Very good for travelers.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:42 pm

Glad to see this thread back!

Which Vichy sunblock do you have? I feel like there are so many permutations!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster
Glad to see this thread back!

Which Vichy sunblock do you have? I feel like there are so many permutations!
It's Ideal Soleil SPF 50.

Another little semi-steal on this trip: UD's Naked 2 Basics palette. I've been wearing those colors every day, day and evening. There are colors in there that work as eyeliners. Colors to fill your brows. And more than enough eye shadow combos for a simple day look or a dramatic evening look. The Basics 2, with it's soft, taupe and grey hues, works best on my co.oring. Others may prefer the stronger colors of the Naked Basics. Best of all: it's small.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:46 pm

If anyone is passing through LHR, the Boots pharmacy there has LOADS of travel sized toiletries and beauty stuff - most of the time they are 3 for a couple of pounds (varies by type).

Picked up a whole load and would've picked up more if my companion wasn't already rolling his eyes and asking if I had that much hair to wash.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:47 pm

Reviving this thread. Am in the midst of a one month trip to Europe with one carry-on, a personal item, and a purse (LH biz class rules). A new splurge: La Mer's facial oil (don't remember the exact name; will update later). Great under high and low end moisturizers. Perfect size and shape for 311 bag. New steal: Vichy SPF 50 facial sunblock. Plays well under every foundation I have tried, does not leave a white cast. Splurge: Guerlain Lingerie de Peau. Best foundation ever. Plus, it actually works with my pale, cool toned skin. 30 ml bottle. Steal: Lavera roll-on deodorant. Discovered in a German drugstore. Sensitive formula. Aluminum free. Plastic bottle.

In the middle: Quip toothbrush. Fits in my 311 bag better than my Sonicare, lasts the whole trip, no yuckiness issues, they send the replacement brush heads and toothpaste (including travel sized). Very good for travelers.
Thanks for the tip on Quip! Checked them out and looks like I might be ordering a set to test
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
If anyone is passing through LHR, the Boots pharmacy there has LOADS of travel sized toiletries and beauty stuff - most of the time they are 3 for a couple of pounds (varies by type).

Picked up a whole load and would've picked up more if my companion wasn't already rolling his eyes and asking if I had that much hair to wash.
Ha ha! Last time I stocked up at a Boots before a flight I got the same eye-rolling treatment from my travel companion. But I didn't care!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I love Dior make up. My cheapy buy is eyeliner. I prefer the cheap stuff which is always harder and doesn't smudge as much as an expensive one that is usually softer and in my opinion smudges easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.