Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steals and splurges: Share the best of your high and low-end travel beauty secrets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
More for the in-between category:

For undereye concealing (and who doesn't get dark circles when traveling?): MAC Prep + Prime in Radiant Rose (counteracts the blue in the under eye circles), followed by (oh, how I love this stuff) Tarte Shape Tape. The Tarte Shape Tape is the most amazing concealer I have used. Ever. The color is light enough (I love CdP, but the color is a bit too dark for my complexion). And, most important, it lasts without getting stuck in those little fine lines under my eyes (which I don't have, of course ).

Splurges:

Guerlain's Meteorites base. Leaves just a bit of pearlescent sheen, makes pores disappear, and makes foundation last all day.

Marc Jacobs mascara. I usually use a drugstore brand for everyday, and leave the expensive mascaras for going out. But ever since Marc Jacobs came into my life, everything has changed. My eyelashes are out to THERE, with one coat. Often, that's all the eye make-up I will use (aside from covering up my ridiculously dark under eye circles).

Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder. Technically not a splurge, since it is meant to be used under the eyes only. Then I saw the texture it gave me under the eyes: silky, soft, almost like soft focus. I use it all over my face now, wherever I need to set my make-up. And you don't need a lot. Bonus for travelers: It comes in a tiny container.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder. Technically not a splurge, since it is meant to be used under the eyes only. Then I saw the texture it gave me under the eyes: silky, soft, almost like soft focus. I use it all over my face now, wherever I need to set my make-up. And you don't need a lot. Bonus for travelers: It comes in a tiny container.
I haven't tried many powders but recently picked up the Innisfree Anti-Sebum Powder http://www.innisfreeworld.com/produc...o?prdSeq=10304 in loose format for when I travel in humid weather. I use it on face and back of hands. Some people also use it as dry shampoo. Nice double duty item.
jgor likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Two products that are on the pricey side, but are worth their weight in gold (IMHO) while travelling:
  • Bareminerals Prep Step is a mineral broad spectrum facial sunscreen with SPF 50. Yes, it's mineral sunscreen, which means it gives you a little bit of a white cast (not a big deal for me 'cause I'm very pale, but YMMV). But it's a great double-duty makeup primer and sunscreen. I take it everywhere.
  • Drybar Hot Toddy is a heat & UV protectant cream for hair. I use this both at home and on the road, and it is the closest thing to a miracle product for my thin, dry hair that I've ever found.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
I'm trying a new product called Urban Decay Meltdown Makeup Remover. It's a solid product that comes in a stick form (deodorant sized). You rub it on your face, then massage it in until it becomes liquid. Add a little water and it foams up. Rinse off. It took off my mascara and eyeliner (and the rest of my makeup) with ease. My skin felt fresh, not tight. It's a splurge ($26, available at Sephora) but I think it will be a go to product for me.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:08 pm

I don't view these necessarily as spluges or as bargains either, but these are my travel essentials, especially for long flights:

1. Shiseido's "Pureness" wipes to clean/refresh face, neck (or anywhere else). They really work to feel clean even on long haul flights.

2. Sisley Hydra Flash, a highly effective moisturizer that can be applied as a leave on mask. Eliminates dryness caused by dry cabin air, but also does not feel heavy. Good any time, even when not traveling.

3. Evian or Avene water spray in small bottles.

4. Dr. Hauschka "Eye Solace" eye compress. Brilliant for tired, puffy eyes at any time.

(Basically everything Dr. Hauschka is great. I love the brand. The small tube packaging travels really well also.)

5. Dr. Hauschka after sun cream. This one is amazing for any time there is a risk of sunburn. I have sun sensitive skin, and this soothes a sunburn like no other after sun product I have ever tried.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Marc Jacobs mascara. I usually use a drugstore brand for everyday, and leave the expensive mascaras for going out. But ever since Marc Jacobs came into my life, everything has changed. My eyelashes are out to THERE, with one coat. Often, that's all the eye make-up I will use (aside from covering up my ridiculously dark under eye circles).
Which Marc Jacobs mascara? Velvet Noir Major Volume? or

I really love the Armani Black Ecstasy mascara, makes my lashes look like they are fake. The Nuxe Reve de Miel lip balm is wonderful.
Old May 17, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by titaniumfemme
I'm trying a new product called Urban Decay Meltdown Makeup Remover. It's a solid product that comes in a stick form (deodorant sized). You rub it on your face, then massage it in until it becomes liquid. Add a little water and it foams up. Rinse off. It took off my mascara and eyeliner (and the rest of my makeup) with ease. My skin felt fresh, not tight. It's a splurge ($26, available at Sephora) but I think it will be a go to product for me.
I'll HAVE to check this out, this sounds amazing. I use a combo of makeup removing wipes + coconut oil to remove eye makeup. I'd love to replace the coconut oil with something solid so I don't need to worry about my jars randomly leaking.

I had previously given a recc for a bb cream on here. Over the past few years I've been switching to cruelty-free makeup. A great cruelty free cc cream has been Juice Beauty's. Juice Beauty 12-in-1 CC Cream + RMS Beauty Un-coverup is my perfect low-key makeup base.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I travel every week for work, and I hate checking bags and refilling tiny trial sizes weekly, so I balance needs with the practicality of hauling and lifting a rollerboard onto plane every week. So, here goes:

1. Get PreCheck. Is it makeup? No. Do I carry a much larger amount than a ziplock full of 3oz of liquids every week (in a normal makeup case, not a ziplock). Absolutely. Have I ever been asked to dump liquids? Only when flying thru LHR. ;(

2. Perfume. That is my splurge on the road. I collect vintage perfumes, so I take travel sizes of all my favorite perfumes on the road. I try to buy original minis, then refill them monthly so that I have a nice selection (that don't look like samples). Vintage Fendi, Theorema, Magie Noire, Coco, Trussardi, Allure, and Anne Klein II, as well as modern Tom Ford Plum Japonaise, Kurkdjian Grand Soir, and Elizabeth W Vetvier go with me everywhere.

3. Oh, and a decent selection of my jewelry goes with me too. Every new major city I go to, I try to visit a local jeweler for a non touristy piece (double splurge). But I cannot find a good method to bring the volume of jewerly I want (those silly rollup things are worthless for my chunky sterling silver) without scratching the heck out of it..or spending precious time matching jewelry to this week's outfits Sunday @ 10p or Monday @ 4a. Not gonna happen. Although I want a really nice pair of diamond studs, I know one will end up on the floor of hotel YXZ, never to be found again. So I buy 6 pair of Heavenly Necklaces' studs at a time (super steal), and if I lose one, who cares? I figure if Princess Kate thinks they'll pass for the real thing, I can too

4. I split my bags into toiletries, makeup and perfume. If I have to abandon one or two, either due to known travel restrictions or because I forgot about EU restrictions on my way home to Boston, it's easy

5. Makeup in a Tumi travel bag (thank you Delta One!).
Not so splurge:
Make Up For Ever foundation (good mix of rosacea coverage without dulling my skin), NARS undereye concealer, MAC pressed powder, Tarte or Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner (a lifesaver since it stays put), MAC lipstick
Steal:
L'oreal Voluminous Waterproof mascara (the only mascara, Dior/Chanel included, that doesn't flake/smudge on me), and L'oreal simple four palette eyeshadow. Sonia Kashuk brushes.

6. Steal: I buy 4/3/2oz Nalgene backpacking bottles (from REI) for my toiletries. If you get the heavy duty ones, they are guaranteed not to leak. And get the flip tops, that way you lessen the risk of leaving the top on the countertop of hotel ZYX (and the contents of the bottle all over your favorite jacket). They've never let me down in 15 years of almost weekly travel. And if you lose one, ya spend $3 or a new one. Steal: I use duct tape and permanent marker to mark my bottles. Or, I use the fancy preprinted labels, covered over with heavy duty packing tape. Once I've started doing this, I've never mixed up or had to dump bottles.

7. My toiletries bag is a Container Store version of the below. The bag is sturdy enough to stand when empty, can fit 2 rows of 2/3 ounce bottles, and has a zippered compartment for my floss, a few safety pins, and an emergency packet of laundry detergent. Container store no longer sells these bags, I will be adrift when my bag dies.
https://koalarojo.com/1141-large_def...s-y-gancho.jpg

In this wonderbag, I pack:
a. Hair Products (my splurge): Kerastase Bain Satin 2 and Masquintense Fine are packed in my 4oz bottles. Forme Fatale gel in a 3oz bottle. Nectar Thermique (leave in, heat activated moisturizer) in a 2 ounce bottle. Aveda Firmata is poured into any basic travel hairspray bottle. Stila hair refresher (in original 2.6 oz bottle). Single Kerastase Fusio Dose (weekly conditioner).

b. Body (basics): Weleda facial cleansing milk (in travel Cetaphil bottle), 2 oz Organic Jojoba oil (works as a makeup remover and body/hand moisturizer), Dr. Haushka's Rose light day cream (normal retail size), 2 oz thayer's witch hazel (oily Tzone), Typical travel toothpaste and toothbrush. I use whatever soap is at the hotel. I've tried to pack my own (liquid and bar) and I just don't see the value. But I do like to stay at Westins so that I don't smell like an outdoor produce stand on a 100 degree day(though the Bliss face wash at W hotels does not smell too bad).

8. Oh, and I bring my own paddle and round brushes, as well as my professional hair dryer and curling iron. I can send clothes out for cleaning, but I refuse to use a crappy hair dryer that takes 2x as long and makes my hair look 3x as bad.

That's all folks...

PS...fly Virgin or Delta thru LHR. The Virgin Lounge, with its day spa and excellent breakfast buffet help make the start of a 7 hour flight much more manageable.

PSS....chgoeditor, I have that exact same hairdryer, but in blue. LOVE it. I also finally broke down and bought Euro voltage hair styling tools on my last trip. Easier than hauling something over that was bound to blow up.

Last edited by navi_jen; May 27, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen
6. Steal: I buy 4/3/2oz Nalgene backpacking bottles (from REI) for my toiletries. If you get the heavy duty ones, they are guaranteed not to leak. And get the flip tops, that way you lessen the risk of leaving the top on the countertop of hotel ZYX (and the contents of the bottle all over your favorite jacket). They've never let me down in 15 years of almost weekly travel. And if you lose one, ya spend $3 or a new one. Steal: I use duct tape and permanent marker to mark my bottles. Or, I use the fancy preprinted labels, covered over with heavy duty packing tape. Once I've started doing this, I've never mixed up or had to dump bottles.
I love those Nalgene bottles. The Container Store has them in 1 oz sizes too. I have really sensitive skin, and colored hair, so I always bring my own shampoo, conditioner and face wash in these bottles. I have a label maker and label everything myself. In a pinch, I use painters tape and a sharpie.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:59 pm

7. My toiletries bag is a Container Store version of the below. The bag is sturdy enough to stand when empty, can fit 2 rows of 2/3 ounce bottles, and has a zippered compartment for my floss, a few safety pins, and an emergency packet of laundry detergent. Container store no longer sells these bags, I will be adrift when my bag dies.
https://koalarojo.com/1141-large_def...s-y-gancho.jpg
Muji has a similar toiletry bag. I've seen it in small and medium/large sizes over the years in different fabrics. It looks like this season has the smaller one with a sturdier fabric. I prefer the lighter paraglide style material.
JP: https://www.muji.net/store/cmdty/det...20?searchno=14
https://www.muji.net/store/cmdty/det...37?searchno=15
US: http://www.muji.us/store/nylon-hangi...se-l-navy.html
UK: http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?...ub=73&PID=8155
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?...ub=73&PID=8156
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by freecia
Muji has a similar toiletry bag. I've seen it in small and medium/large sizes over the years in different fabrics. It looks like this season has the smaller one with a sturdier fabric. I prefer the lighter paraglide style material.
Freecia, thank you! I just ordered two from the UK store (I prefer the heavier weight material). I think it's the exact same bag as the Container store bag (literally is within 1cm of dimensions and the interior sewing seems the same), but without the waterproof backing. Guess I'll just spray it with liquid waterproofing materials (I'm always petrified a bottle will explode and my new jacket will be ruined by hairspray!). Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
LL Bean

Freecia, thank you! I just ordered two from the UK store (I prefer the heavier weight material). I think it's the exact same bag as the Container store bag (literally is within 1cm of dimensions and the interior sewing seems the same), but without the waterproof backing. Guess I'll just spray it with liquid waterproofing materials (I'm always petrified a bottle will explode and my new jacket will be ruined by hairspray!). Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I have been using the LLBean version for years. Several sizes. And they are sturdy enough that when something explodes or drips in it, the whole thing goes through the washer really well.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/7388...ag-small&csp=f
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:15 am

Welcome! I love mine so much, too. The layout is just about perfect when there is limited counter space and deliberately compact so I don't overpack.

@gretchendz - The LL Bean ones are a good bit larger than Muji, even for the small size. They look great for people who carry larger bottle sizes or hair styling tools. Or perhaps for couples/families who pack together.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
If the products work for you and thr prices don't bother you, go for it.

Question for the board: need recs for a bb cream for palest of pale skin. One that doesn't run yellow. My undertones are blue. Any help? Thanks!
Two years and I don't know how many hits and misses later, I finally found something!!!!

It's a CC cream (I still have no earthly idea what the difference is between a BB and a CC, but, there you go). Armani Luminessence CC. Color 1. It's got an SPF of 35, but I would not, could not, do not use it as a sunscreen. Shade 1 is ever so slightly darker than my neck, but honestly, once the rest of my make-up is on, you it's imperceptible. I just use an undereye concealer with this (my undereye circles are bad), a bit of cream cheek color, a swipe of burgundy mascara on my upper lashes (it reads like a shade of brown, but brings out my hazel eyes), and some tinted lip balm, and that is my summer day look.

Shade 1 is amazing for those who are fair-skinned and cool-toned. It blends right into the skin, without that awful yellow or peach tint so many other BB and CC creams have. And it has just a slight pearlescence. Nothing shiny or even dewy. It's just when the light hits you the right way, you look like you are lit from within for a moment, with the quiet glow of a pearl that sits quietly and demurely until light hits it, for just a second, at the right angle.

I hit my face with SPF powder every couple of hours, and find that the CC cream stays put all day. I am middle aged (40s) and my skin is normal to dry.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Anyone else using pure Aloe Vera gel to treat sunburns? Currently traveling and had to settle for the sole "Apres Soleil" they had. Works ok, but the Aloe gel feels nicer. Not sure what "Aloe Vera Gel" is in French...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.