Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Daily Mail: Which cities have the most dangerous transport systems for women?

Old Nov 2, 14, 4:15 am
Original Poster

New study reveals the world's most unsafe public transport systems. Study examined responses of women in 15 of world's largest cities and NYC

By Simon Cable for MailOnline Published: 07:17 EST, 1 November 2014

Latin American cities have the most dangerous transport systems for women, according to a new survey.

Colombia's capital Bogota, that has no city train system but a network of red buses, was found to have the most unsafe public transport in a poll conducted by YouGov.

THE CITIES WITH THE MOST UNSAFE TRANSPORT SYSTEMS FOR WOMEN
1. Bogota, Colombia
2. Mexico City
3. Lima, Peru
4. New Delhi
5. Jakarta, Indonesia
6. Buenos Aires
7. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8. Bangkok
9. Moscow
10. Manila, Philippines
11. Paris
12. Seoul
13. London
14. Beijing
15. Tokyo
16. New York

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...t-systems.html

Last edited by Katja; Jun 8, 15 at 9:23 pm Reason: Removed undisclosed tracking/referral (?) link/Edited thread title to better reflect content
Old Nov 2, 14, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
The list is slightly biased, There were only 16 cities ranked, since 380 survey responses were needed.

Also, these are only Capitals, lots of dangerous cities in the countries on the top of the list.

What deduction from beeing among the lowest-risk-ranking of & cities/capitals on this list? A safe city for women on public ransport or just less worse than those in the list's top?

New York the safest city in the world?
Old Nov 2, 14, 9:17 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
I travel on the London underground most days.

I've never found it particularly unsafe.
Old Nov 2, 14, 1:01 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Since there is a forum dedicated to Women's Travel, I will move this to that forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Nov 3, 14, 7:08 am

Clearly the situation was unpleasant, but I liked the response in Bogota.

'The strategy consists in units of trained undercover policewomen going into buses and stations during the day and seeing who is committing the assaults,' he said. 'Immediately, they are arrested. This strategy is to mitigate the risk of sexual harassment on TransMilenio and what's certain is that the results to date, since the strategy was implemented two-and-half months ago, show sexual harassment in terms of the number of reports filed has declined dramatically.'
(From the original article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...t-systems.html)

If women have to risk going into those kinds of situations, at least the city can make sure a number of them have the power to arrest their attackers on the spot.
Old Nov 3, 14, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by onobond View Post
New York the safest city in the world?
Certainly not the safest city in the world, but much safer than it used to be. There are many cities that the average US citizen would likely guess are much safer than NYC, but are in fact much more dangerous.

All the statistics below are in terms of violent crimes per 100,000 people, thus normalizing for varying populations (and based on 2012 data) data link:

In terms of violent crime, New York is only the 39th most dangerous city in the USA (among cities with a population over 250,000), ranking less dangerous than more-benign-sounding cities such as Nashville, Toledo, Tucson, St. Paul, and Anchorage.

With regard to murder, New York is about 50th on the list. You're about twice as likely to be murdered in Tulsa or Fresno than in NYC; about three times as likely to be murdered in Milwaukee or Oklahoma City than in NYC, etc., etc.

NYC is near the bottom of the list for rape risk--there are about 7x more rapes in Minneapolis per 100,000 people than in NYC.
Old Nov 3, 14, 1:13 pm

This list certainly is flawed. Missing are places such as Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Mali, Somalia, Mali, Eastern Ukraine, Yemen...

Or do women have some unique ability to be safe in war zones?
Old Nov 3, 14, 11:36 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
This list certainly is flawed. Missing are places such as Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Mali, Somalia, Mali, Eastern Ukraine, Yemen...

Or do women have some unique ability to be safe in war zones?
Perhaps there's a lack of public transport in the countries you've listed?
Old Nov 4, 14, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by SanFranDan View Post
[...]
11. Paris
[...]
13. London
Ludicrous.
Old Nov 4, 14, 10:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
Ludicrous.
Beijing and Tokyo are even more ridiculous.

But I guess that with those sensitivity-olympics articles safety doesn't really mean safety but something like coziness cuddliness or the likes.
Old Nov 4, 14, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by SanFranDan
[...]
11. Paris
[...]
13. London

Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
Ludicrous.

Agreed, I have had no issues in either city.
Old Nov 5, 14, 10:15 pm

Thread title is what is throwing everyone off. This isn't a list of most dangerous cities for female travelers, it's a list of most dangerous public transportation systems for female travelers.
Old Nov 6, 14, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Perhaps there's a lack of public transport in the countries you've listed?
Certainly we don't limit "public transport" to only buses and trains do we? When I read public transport, I include taxis (both individual and shared) as well as shared vans. (One might also argue to include sidewalk and crosswalk infrastructure and hitch-hiking.)

That said, there certainly are public bus systems in some of the places I listed.
Old Dec 20, 14, 10:36 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware View Post
Certainly we don't limit "public transport" to only buses and trains do we?
Yes?

When I read public transport, I include taxis (both individual and shared) as well as shared vans. (One might also argue to include sidewalk and crosswalk infrastructure and hitch-hiking.)
I certainly don't. And "crosswalk infrastructure"? Really?
Old Dec 20, 14, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA plat, SQ KF Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
I use KL and Bangkok public transport pretty often (as a western, blonde woman), and never had particular issues or concerns either.

Agree this is a weird survey if only 15 cities were considered.

Search this Thread