Subscription Boxes

Old Oct 4, 2014, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Subscription Boxes

Anyone else addicted to subscription boxes?

I started innocently enough earlier this year by subscribing to GlossyBox as a way to try some new skincare and makeup products in handy travel sizes. And then I added another....and another...because a) my traveling life leaves me little time to shop when I am home and b) some of these subscriptions have proven to be pretty handy for the road warrioress life.

Here is my current list, with a few notes:
  • GlossyBox - have found some new products I really like, but not sure I will renew
  • Hello Fresh - hands down my favorite subscription box. I love to cook and with my weekly travel schedule, I was spending way too much of my limited time at home shopping for fresh ingredients, then throwing away the perishables when I left on my next trip. Love this subscription. A few weeks ago I got home from a trip around 7:30 pm. The UPS guy had just delivered that week's box of ingredients that allowed me to whip up a delicious dinner that evening - mahi mahi amandine with spinach and peach salad.
  • Graze - delicious little snack packages to throw in my briefcase.
  • Toothbrush Subscription - OK, have to laugh at this one, but my dentist only gives me 1 toothbrush and we travelers need a spare for our suitcases, right?
  • Sample Society - Just added this one due to a recent promotional offer. There have been some high quality travel size products in this one. Probably will not keep both this one and GlossyBox, though.

Have any of you found other subscription boxes that really "work" for travelers?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I love the graze box, except I eat all of as soon as I get it.
I am going to look at some of the others you mentioned. I used to get pop sugar but it was either great or awful...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I currently do:
* Birchbox
* Ipsy
* Graze
* Stitch Fix
* POPSugar

I've got reviews of the last few boxes I've gotten up on my blog - www.jetsettershomestead.com
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
I tried New Beauty Test tube when it came out but I cancelled after a few. Recently, tried Julep Maven but have since cancelled that too. Monthly is too much for me.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nlkm9
I love the graze box, except I eat all of as soon as I get it.
I wasn't so sure about that one, but have to say I am loving their snacks.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by pbjag
I wasn't so sure about that one, but have to say I am loving their snacks.
I'm hooked. I am now wheat-free and corn-free but Graze let's me opt out of those so now I always have snacks for my travel bag and don't have to worry about finding something allergen free!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:15 pm

Thanks for posting this! I had never heard of Hello Fresh, so I looked into it. I received my first box last week and had three great meals! It's so nice to have the oddball ingredients at hand (like two different kinds of green olives.)

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's box: Cashew Chicken, Basil Meatballs over Spaghetti Squash, and Baked Shrimp with Linguine. Yum.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carole_d
Thanks for posting this! I had never heard of Hello Fresh, so I looked into it. I received my first box last week and had three great meals! It's so nice to have the oddball ingredients at hand (like two different kinds of green olives.)

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's box: Cashew Chicken, Basil Meatballs over Spaghetti Squash, and Baked Shrimp with Linguine. Yum.
Envious-I had to skip this week's box because I was going to be traveling w-Fr. Have you been as impressed by the quality of the ingredients as I have?

Last edited by pbjag; Oct 22, 2014 at 5:43 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by pbjag
Envious-I had to skip this week's box because I was going to be traveling w-Fr. Have you been as impressed by the quality of the ingredients as I have?
I've only received one, but I was very impressed. (And I worked in grocery stores for nine years, so it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to food!)

The recipes are so simple, too. I love it - thanks again for the recommendation. I wish I'd known about the referral code; I would have asked you for it so you could get $ off your next box.

eta: One of my meals was Black Bean/Chipotle Chili and it came with an avocado to cube onto the chili before serving. The avocado could have been slightly riper, but I was very impressed that it was in good condition at all.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carole_d
I've only received one, but I was very impressed. (And I worked in grocery stores for nine years, so it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to food!)

The recipes are so simple, too. I love it - thanks again for the recommendation. I wish I'd known about the referral code; I would have asked you for it so you could get $ off your next box.

eta: One of my meals was Black Bean/Chipotle Chili and it came with an avocado to cube onto the chili before serving. The avocado could have been slightly riper, but I was very impressed that it was in good condition at all.
@carole_d-i don't know how they (Hello Fresh) are delivering that quality of protein at that price. My one dislike is that the Wednesday delivery day means I often have to skip a week if I am traveling. I emailed them to ask if they would consider offering alternate delivery options in the future (Plated gives you a choice of 2 delivery days) and they told me I can choose a W, Th or Friday delivery in my market.

P.S. I had never made ratatouille before but it was one of my options this week-delicious!
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:28 am

Looked at Hello Fresh and looks very nice, can schedule delivery date and not worry about shopping for meals. But you pick 3 meals for 2 (or 4) people but there are 5 recipes when I look at the week ordered. Do you get 3 of the 5 meals? Any way to choose which meals?

Also, seems these are not cooked or assembled, correct? I once ordered some precook end meals that seemed great on website, thought these would be nice for my mom. But they required putting plastic bag of meal into boiling water, removing and cutting open hot bag - not safe and also not very tasty

Interested but would someone answer about 5 meals but send only 3
Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Looked at Hello Fresh and looks very nice, can schedule delivery date and not worry about shopping for meals. But you pick 3 meals for 2 (or 4) people but there are 5 recipes when I look at the week ordered. Do you get 3 of the 5 meals? Any way to choose which meals?

Also, seems these are not cooked or assembled, correct? I once ordered some precook end meals that seemed great on website, thought these would be nice for my mom. But they required putting plastic bag of meal into boiling water, removing and cutting open hot bag - not safe and also not very tasty

Interested but would someone answer about 5 meals but send only 3
Thanks
There are 5 recipes each week and you choose the 3 that you want. And you are correct, these are not pre-cooked, you will be cooking from scratch. They include all of the ingredients (except olive oil, salt and pepper), including fresh herbs, fresh veggies, uncooked chicken or steak.

If you decide to try it, there are some pretty good coupon codes out there for $30 or $40 off the first order and they post trial offers on their Facebook page. Or we could start a conga for referral codes ($20 off for each).

There are 2 other similar companies -Plated and Blue Apron.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:23 am

Do you live in very remote places without local stores or delis?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Do you live in very remote places without local stores or delis?
I have plenty of stores and delis around me. I also have rheumatoid arthritis and my husband has Alzheimer's. I've had to make many changes in my life to get through each week (one of which is that I no longer travel for work.) Hello Fresh helps save me time and energy on meal planning and shopping and, as mentioned above, it's fresh and healthy food.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:16 pm

Have only tried birchbox but found it to be hit or miss - which is more disappointing overall to not be able to expect consistently awesome goodies. This has colored my thoughts on the potential for subscription boxes overall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.