Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Safe country for 9day trip for a solo female traveler?

Old Aug 8, 14, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Trying to figure out a good location for a quick 9 day trip (including air travel). I'm based out of DFW, and would like to go somewhere 'exotic'.

I'm headed to Cambodia and Vietnam in October of this year, but will have an additional week of vacation to use- sadly it can not be used in conjunction with my current trip

Can anyone recommend a good location that is safe for a somewhat experienced (40 countries to date) 24 yo female traveler?

I've done all of western Europe, and am not super interested in South America. Any recommendations for Asia/Africa?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 14, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
I've traveled solo to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia (Bali). I've also been to Egypt, Kenya, and South Africa (lived there for 9 months many years ago). I would not suggest solo travel to Africa at present. Have you considered Mongolia or Burma? Thailand is another obvious choice, as is Hong Kong. Good luck with your travel.
Old Aug 11, 14, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

I will look in to Mongolia and Bali!
I believe for the time I have available to go, the weather will not be good in Burma, even though that is high on my list!
Old Aug 11, 14, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
French Polynesia! Tahiti is wonderful at any time of year and very safe for a solo female traveler.
Old Aug 12, 14, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Some dear friends recently visited Bhutan and are dying to go back, they loved it so much. You will need a visa to visit and it costs $250 US per day to be in the country. Here's an article:
http://travel.cnn.com/visiting-bhutan-268086
Old Aug 12, 14, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With only minimal precautions, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Japan, and (South) Korea feel very safe. You could take advantage of China's 72 hour TWOV rule to combine one city in China with another destination.

How about Australia or New Zealand?

Have you been to many places in Central Europe? One could easily spend a week in Prague or Budapest.
Old Aug 13, 14, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will be looking in to Tahiti, China, Sing and HK!

Bhutan has always interested me, but I think I'm going to wait to get my Irish passport before I go- $250/day EEEP!

I have been to central europe as well, spent a good amount of time in Budpest & Prague actually! As well as some time in serbia, croatia and bulgaria!

Sadly, I've never had any inclination to go to NZ or Australia... never interested me :/
Old Aug 13, 14, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by FoggyBridges View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

I will be looking in to Tahiti, China, Sing and HK!

Bhutan has always interested me, but I think I'm going to wait to get my Irish passport before I go- $250/day EEEP!

I have been to central europe as well, spent a good amount of time in Budpest & Prague actually! As well as some time in serbia, croatia and bulgaria!

Sadly, I've never had any inclination to go to NZ or Australia... never interested me :/
Singapore is very beautiful and safe, but also very expensive. I wandered around Kuala Lumpur by myself and never felt threatened. It's not as clean as Singapore, but certainly has character!
Old Sep 10, 14, 12:30 pm
formerly ltabi

I would like to recommend Taiwan. It has pretty good shopping and yummy food. The last time I was there, I wandered around Taipei and Kaohsiung and felt super safe. Locals were extremely friendly. I fell in love with Taiwan. I am hoping to go back soon.
Old Oct 5, 14, 10:23 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
You say you're not interested in South America, but what about Central America? In my online research of safe destinations for solo female travelers, Costa Rica has always come up as a top hit, so I'll be going in a few months. i'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
Old Oct 5, 14, 10:26 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
French Polynesia! Tahiti is wonderful at any time of year and very safe for a solo female traveler.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind, as I've always thought of Bora Bora, Tahiti, etc. as couples destinations. Apparently I'm wrong!

Search this Thread